Broken/Krokul, DHs & allied races

Man, the Worgen were such a huge let down. I was stoked when they were announced for Cataclysm and when they finally got put in… this is what we got?

1 Like

Every time I see a comment like this, I assume it’s out of self shame and internal loathing.

Just be free. No judges here.

Draenei pun! …this is a Draenei pun, right?

No. Im not kid-ding

1 Like

From a Worgen

It means that Broken won’t replace Ogres as a playable race. It’s okay to be wrong, you don’t need to be this obtuse.

I could continue posting hundreds of threads asking for Broken/Krokul. Not to mention the numerous videos posted on Youtube.

Tuskarr on the other hand has one thread. With 6 likes. The OP of which even admits there are no threads asking for Tuskarr.

3 Likes

People have been asking for Broken since BC was announced.

Absolutely have. The outrage when we got Draenei instead was prevalent. And they’ve been asked for over the years ever since.

1 Like

To be fair, Americans love to make things annoying as hell. Your culture fostered this furry thing, although these designs were based on children’s animation to make them appeal great. I do not think that the Disney company and other talented people always wanted to see their stuff sexualized to no end, it puts them to shame and how the American society (the fans) have degenerated over time.

Imagine the seven old men from Disney, the perhaps most talented and hard working animators since the beginning of this media - and then they will be thrown into the same mix with furries, yiffing and all these nonsense. It really makes American youth and talented animators look bad.

1 Like

The origional conscept for the TBC races was an inversion of the traditional faction themes as well as a class-swap of Paladin and Shaman.

The Horde got the Blood Elves, traditionally beautiful race that had a history with The Alliance and brought paladins into The Horde.

The Alliance were going to get the savage and brutal Broken Ones. The draenei as they appeared in Warcraft III. Tribal, near-feral survivors of the broken world of dreanor. They were a natural fit to bring shaman into the Alliance

But somewhere in the creative process someone must have been like *“but they ugly tho. How’bout foxy demon-folk instead?”*Then everyone agreed loudly on no more uggos, high fived and the rest is history.

But how will the ultra-civilized, beautiful and technologically advanced draenei who are obsessed with the holy light bring shaman into The Alliance? Well. They like. Know one of those gross broken guys or something. It’ll be fine. Everything’s fine.

And everything was fine. The end.

That’s incorrect. The original race were the Pandaren for the Alliance but they had not the license rights to them back then. That’s also why the Alliance-race was shown later and not together with the Blood Elves.

The pandaren were initially planned to be the new playable race for the Alliance in World of Warcraft’s first expansion, The Burning Crusade, but about halfway through development they were replaced with the draenei.[9][10][11] In a Q&A thread on Reddit in April 2020, former Blizzard artist Trent Kaniuga stated that this was because the Chinese government told Blizzard that they couldn’t use pandas in the game. By that point, the artists had already created concept art for pandaren cities and buildings, but the change happened early enough in development that not much content was cut. The developers would not get permission to implement pandas until 5 years later. According to Kaniuga, “In reality it was probably just that they needed more time to negotiate it. Panda’s[sic] are a national treasure in China, so it takes a lot of negotiating to work a deal to distribute characters that look like that in China.”[12][13]

https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/History_of_pandaren_in_Warcraft#Scrapped_race_in_The_Burning_Crusade

Good to see you wasted time collecting threads to get those two massive likes nitpicking and attempting to correct my opinion. Bet that was the highlight of your day lmao

Wait what?

Does China own pandas as an intellectual property the same way Nintendo owns Mario?

1 Like

At most they should be Draenei/LFD customization, not a playable race, never a playable race.

Another poster mentioned this earlier, but they would be unfathomably unpopular.

1 Like

In a world where gnomes and Kul Tirans exist, I don’t see why this would be a problem.

This in no way harms players. It just creates a little extra work for the devs who have to come up with different racials, heritage armor, and hire new voice actors. All of which help sell the fantasy to the players that are asking for it in the first place.

Why is that bad?

And you would be incorrect. Just like the other two were. People have been asking for Broken since BC was announced. Examples of a few threads have already been posted. It was a big uproar when we first got Draenei announced instead and every iteration of the forums since has had topics about it.

2 Likes

Yes. You can’t get them without paying a license fee. I’m serious here.
This is also true for Zoos.

For physical pandas this makes sense. All pandas come from China, and the only way that zoos get them is by entering into a loan agreement with the Chinese government.

I’m not a lawyer, but I don’t think that’s quite the same thing as owning the COPYRIGHT for all panda imagery.

Like, I can’t expect to find royalty-free imagery of Mario that Nintendo hasn’t already cleared in a press release. But I CAN go on pixabay and download a bunch of giant panda photos.

People were asking for mecha gnomes and kul tirans too and those did not turn out remotely great, i don’t even remember the last time i SAW a kul tiran or mecha gnome walking around.

Fact of the matter is as “popular” as the loud minority like to say, broken would not be a “hit” playable race to the song of races like void elves, people do not like playing ugly races, that’s why more than half the Horde is Blood Elves. At most they should be customization for Draenei.

Because all the time, money and effort would be better put to more interesting races rather than a 3rd clone of a race we already have, or customizations for various races that desperately need them, like Worgen.

“Playable races” need to start being reserved for actual, unique, races that we encounter, races like Sethrak or Ogres come to mind. Anything that just factors in as a “clone or reskin” of an already existing playable race should be customization options at most.

1 Like

People wanted REAL Mechagnomes. What we got was junk Gnomes. Big difference.

No. No one asked for KT like they’ve been for Broken.

And what people wanted from KT was not a race.

“I don’t know what I’m talking about and haven’t been here since the original Broken outrage, so I’ll just use buzz phrases.”

Oh so this is all it is: you don’t want Broken, so you’ll dismiss them with misinformation.

Got it. Moving on. Have a nice day.

2 Likes

To be fair, people who play humans with pointy ears on Horde are just Alliance-players who want to look like an angel on earth.

1 Like