Broken/Krokul Allied Race Discussion Thread

EDIT: Discord Link Active! Currently listed at the very bottom of this post.

So because I’m absolute garbage I’ve decided to make the potentially catastrophic decision of creating a new allied race discussion thread. The San’layn, Sethrak, Vulpera, Arakkoa and Ogres all have their own threads, and I haven’t seen anything focusing specifically on the Broken Draenei. Thus, this thread is born.

This thread is designed to concentrate potential player support for playable Broken Draenei in one thread and provide a space to discuss any and all aspects of their potential inclusion. Dissent is welcome, and appreciated, so long as it is both respectful and rational.

What are the Broken Draenei?
The Broken Draenei, hereafter merely referred to as “The Broken,” refers to any Draenei individual that has been physically deformed due to the influence of fel or other negative cosmic energies. In all instances of the Broken’s creation, the individuals affected by negative energies always have their connection to the light irrevocably cut off. This has caused massive cultural deviations when compared to their Exodar Draenei kin as well as social stigma. Currently, Broken can be found in Outland, Argus, Azuremyst Isle, and the Fel Hammer, doing whatever it takes and joining whatever necessary factions in order to survive their harsh environments and the denizens that share them.

Does the inclusion of Broken make lore sense?
Currently, there are three factions of Broken. The first faction is the Ashtongue tribe, led by Akama (or the Shade of Akama, due to the player’s actions during Legion) and are part of the Illidari. The second faction is led by Hatuun on Argus, where they have fought against the Legion side-by-side with the Lightforged but stopped short of traveling with them to Azeroth and joining the Alliance.

The third faction is led by Farseer Nobundo and is, actually, already part of the Alliance. Stigmas against many Broken tribes in Outland have waned over the years thanks to the influences of Velen and Nobundo, resulting in a group of them being made welcome within the safety of the Exodar. In return, the Broken have taught the ways of shamanism to the Exodar draenei, and it is for this reason that the class is available to draenei players but -not- to Lightforged Draenei, as Hatuun never shared those teachings.

Similarly to the Dark Iron Dwarves, Broken are already technically part of the Alliance but have not been active on Azeroth outside of the Exodar. Their most critical role in recent times has been their aiding in the defense of the Exodar during Rakeesh’s attack. Beyond that, it isn’t uncommon to see Broken shaman as part of the Earthen Ring’s activities, but they have not been present in the Alliance’s military.

Velen is currently sitting in the Alliance embassy and is not attached to any allied race at present. He could be involved in a questline that sees the Broken officially introduced to the other races of the Alliance and encouraged to play a larger role in the Alliance’s affairs, just like what was done with the Dark Irons. Broken are wary of their appearance and the stigmas linked to their race, and thus it would take a respected figure like Velen to bridge the gap between them and the wider world.

Why Broken? Do we really need another version of a draenei?
The Alliance has had a bit of an image problem in recent years. Often considered to be the collection of the “prim and proper” race of Azeroth, there has been a perception that, when compared to the natural struggle for survival embodied by the Horde, the Alliance’s narratives are boring. Up through Legion the only “savage” or “bestial” race on the Alliance was the Worgen.

The Broken would be a great way to continue trying to change that. Their struggle for survival is reminiscent of that of the Orcs, doing whatever is necessary yet still retaining the high values of morality that characterize the Alliance as a whole. Furthermore, Broken have often comprised the more interesting lore moments in Outland and Argus’s stories, although these stories have been dominated by the personalities of Akama and Hatuun. In bringing the Broken formally into the Alliance, Nobundo would finally be given an opportunity to headline his own story.

Compared to existing and potential alied races such as Lightforged Draenei, High Elves, Dark Iron Dwarves, and Mag’har Orcs, Broken Draenei would constitute much more than a mere palette or texture swap. Despite biologically still considering themselves draenei, Broken exhibit remarkably different cultural and physiological differences when compared to other draenei subspecies that make them immediately recognizable at a glance. I go into a bit more detail below.

What customization options would they have to differentiate them from Exodar and Lightforged Draenei?
The most obvious physical difference is that Broken faces are rougher, elongated, and cracked. Customization options could minimize or exacerbate such deformities.

The second difference is that Broken are actually hairless. Their facial appendages are deformed and therefore are usually of unequal lengths. A feature unique to the broken is that they have additional appendages stretching out from the backs or tops of their heads bunched together to resemble ponytails. There are a number of simulated hair styles that can be designed for the Broken that make use of these appendages rather than mammalian hair.

The third difference is that Broken could toggle between two postures, and thus utilize two separate skeletons; making them extremely unique for an allied race. From BC through Legion, the Broken all utilized the tauren skeleton and walked around with hunches. On Argus, however, Hatuun and his tribe walked upright just like the Exodar draenei. Just like how the orcs can select from upright or hunched postures, so too could a Broken determine whether he wished to walk like Hatuun or Nobundo.

A fourth option is whether the player's model has cloven feet or hooves. This would likely be tied into the decision to use either the hunched or unhunched models, as current lore shows that cloven feet are indicative of the Outland variety of Broken while hooves are found amongst the Krokul of Argus led by Hatuun.

A final potential option, also made possible with the revelation of Hatuun, is that Broken eyes can come in either blue or green varieties.

What classes would they be able to roll?
Due to being in constant battle in the tumultuous climates they call home, Broken would make for natural warriors and hunters.

As mentioned before, their severance from the source of the Light makes it impossible for them to be paladins or priests.

No Broken has ever shown an affinity for magic or druidism, so that also knocks out mages and druids.

Shamans are a given, considering the race’s long history and affinity with the class.

Death Knights are out; it’s unlikely Arthas ever encountered one.

The Monk class is often used as a freebie for new allied races to ensure that they have at least two potential classes for tanking and two for healing. Although it might not fit thematically, the same could be said of Void Elf monks. Therefore, the monk class for the Broken seems necessary.

Demon Hunters seem to be fixed to a specific point in time, and Illidan never trained any Broken Demon Hunters. Further discussion of this might be warranted, but it’s unlikely they’d ever have access to this class.

But here’s where things get real interesting; Broken could have access to the warlock and rogue classes, neither of which are available to Exodar and Lightforged Draenei. Broken have been impacted and changed by the fel and are not part of the holy light-based culture of the other draenei subspecies that outright forbids tampering with such malicious energies. It is not beyond the pale to rationalize Broken individuals using their new physiology to their advantage.

Players have also been asking for draenei rogues for a long time. The Broken, at least, should be able to access this class. As a callback to Warcraft 3, the playable draenei (which were actually Broken Draenei under the command of Akama) had permanent invisibility until they attacked. This made them excellent stealth and ambush units in Illidan’s arsenal. Their shy disposition and tendency to hide themselves away from the prying eyes of potentially hostile factions make the Broken natural rogues.

How can Draenei be made playable if they don’t have a female model?
Female Broken draenei do exist in lore. A female model would have to be developed from scratch, but concepts of female draenei, both officially made by Blizzard and whipped up by fans, exist.
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Broken_Draenei#/media/File:Female_Broken.PNG
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Broken_Draenei#/media/File:Mok%27nathal_and_Broken_allied_races_fan_concepts.jpg

Females wouldn’t exactly look “pretty,” but to be honest I don’t expect them to be. It defeats the purpose of the rugged, shattered nature of the Broken.

Besides, we’ve got more than enough good looking female draenei ;]

Conclusion
Thanks for reading thus far. I may go back and edit a few sections or even add more as time allows, but this thread is pretty bare-bones for the time being. I, for one, am very excited at the prospect of playable Broken, but of course I’d like to know what, if any, enthusiasm exists on the part of the community.

Comments, suggestions, and ideas for the implementation of the Broken are always appreciated!

Discord
Now now, you all play nice!

https://discord.gg/kcf5rGK
10 Likes
Mm, yes. I see, I see....

Unpopular option.
Broken would be cool. I think you could maybe add mages and priest to their class list. If you do Shadow Labs in Outland there are mobs in there that seem to be mages and shadow priest. The broken draenei at the end of the hall toward the last boss seem to wear mage armor and cast mage spells. There are also broken draenei mobs in the beginning of the dungeon who have shadow priests.

Broken are always one of my top choices for an Alliance race. They could be pretty fun. I like your ideas good sir.

+1
Cannot take any post seriously that uses that allied malarky. You fix that and I'll have a read. <3
Krokul would be nice.
Definitely something plausible.

They were one of my favorite back in WC3 , even playing as a red draenei would be unique
09/29/2018 09:35 AMPosted by Vorawsoul
Krokul would be nice.

Yeah I'd be fine if Hatuun came over too. The Horde literally broke the time-space barrier to go to Draenor, so reopening the way to Argus should be plausible for the Alliance so they can pick Hatuun's group up.

Also, I can't imagine they're terribly happy there. I mean, I know Hatuun said they'd fight to the death for their broken home, but it's still gotta be completely infested with demons and overall a generally unpleasant place to live.
1 Like
I'd love to see playable Krokul as well.

I'd role a Krokul Rogue.
We already have two draenei models , and female broken would look bad most likely so they wouldn't really be popular. Draenei males have never been popular and if females stop being hot, they wouldn't be either.

Broken aren't really a good choice for a third Draenei model.

I much rather have Ma'nari or even lightbound.
The OP is really well put-together, you have so much support from me! Broken are my top pick for the next allied race, I'd be elated to see playable Broken Draenei and/or Mok'nathal. I don't know if you've seen this, but here's an extensive fan concept for the Broken race with art sketches: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/2388107-Broken-Draenei-Allied-Race-(fanmade)
1 Like
09/29/2018 03:57 PMPosted by Averyx
We already have two draenei models , and female broken would look bad most likely so they wouldn't really be popular. Draenei males have never been popular and if females stop being hot, they wouldn't be either.

I don't know why it's a bad thing that a new allied race could be unpopular. "Ugly" female characters are something we could use MORE of, if anything to make the playable race selection more diverse. The Broken would also diversify the Alliance as they're a "beast race".
1 Like

In my opinion, Broken/Krokul would present far greater customization options for an allied race than any other version of draenei. People already look at Lightforged Draenei and consider them to be a lazy texture swap, and Eredar would fall under the same criticisms. "Lightbound Draenei" similarly aren't actually a unique subgroup of Draenei; they're biologically identical to the Lightforged, just with a different overall mission.

The alliance has more than enough attractive female races to choose from, especially with the addition of void elves. That's sort of part of why they have a bit of a soft image problem when compared to the Horde. Everyone's got a different preference, but it could be argued that a player who likes a rougher, less attractive aesthetic wouldn't find much that appeals to them in the Alliance. Broken/Krokul would change that.

They aren't meant to look attractive, and that's ok. I also feel it's alright to create a model for a gender with the acknowledgment that it'll only be used by a minority of players. Only 17.1% of all created tauren characters are female. 17% of all dwarves are female.

Also Draenei males are popular enough. At max level they still account for 37% of all draenei toons. I think there'd be more than enough appeal for a deformed version of the model, especially if it came with cool options like the ability to swap between two separate skeletons, multiple eye colors, and access to classes the main race hasn't been able to have.
09/29/2018 04:17 PMPosted by Rorrand

In my opinion, Broken/Krokul would present far greater customization options for an allied race than any other version of draenei. People already look at Lightforged Draenei and consider them to be a lazy texture swap, and Eredar would fall under the same criticisms. "Lightbound Draenei" similarly aren't actually a unique subgroup of Draenei; they're biologically identical to the Lightforged, just with a different overall mission.

The alliance has more than enough attractive female races to choose from, especially with the addition of void elves. That's sort of part of why they have a bit of a soft image problem when compared to the Horde. Everyone's got a different preference, but it could be argued that a player who likes a rougher, less attractive aesthetic wouldn't find much that appeals to them in the Alliance. Broken/Krokul would change that.

They aren't meant to look attractive, and that's ok. I also feel it's alright to create a model for a gender with the acknowledgment that it'll only be used by a minority of players. Only 17.1% of all created tauren characters are female. 17% of all dwarves are female.

Also Draenei males are popular enough. At max level they still account for 37% of all draenei toons. I think there'd be more than enough appeal for a deformed version of the model, especially if it came with cool options like the ability to swap between two separate skeletons, multiple eye colors, and access to classes the main race hasn't been able to have.

It's funny how in the alpha or beta (can't remember which) of WoW, the Tauren and Troll female models were deemed too ugly/savage/masculine and they had to be remodeled to look more conventionally attractive.
09/29/2018 04:22 PMPosted by Falturin

It's funny how in the alpha or beta (can't remember which) of WoW, the Tauren and Troll female models were deemed too ugly/savage/masculine and they had to be remodeled to look more conventionally attractive.

In all fairness, this really is something out of the uncanny valley, heheheh...

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Troll_(playable)#/media/File:Troll_Female_Old_Model.png

That's to be expected. These sort of games are about living a fantasy, it's wish fulfilment. People want to play an attractive character, they want to look good. Look at how popular the Horde suddenly got once the Blood Elves were added.
Broken would have made more sense than either Lightforged OR Void Elves honestly
1 Like
09/29/2018 04:36 PMPosted by Deklend
Broken would have made more sense than either Lightforged OR Void Elves honestly

I'm hoping they still do make sense. I subscribe to the theory that every character in the embassies (sans Anduin and Sylvanas) is intended to be tied to an allied race questline. We've already seen this happen with Moira and Eitrigg being moved to the front once the Dark Iron Dwarves and Mag'har orcs became playable, respectively.

I welcome the Lightforged, but I think there's room enough for both them and the Broken.

Velen's chilling in the back of the embassy doing nothing, but he does muse about the importance of finding new allies. Recruiting the Broken would be a natural option for him.
1 Like
I would play one for sure! I kinda expected them during Argus and was surprised they didn't go that route tbh.
1 Like
09/29/2018 04:34 PMPosted by Wildah

That's to be expected. These sort of games are about living a fantasy, it's wish fulfilment. People want to play an attractive character, they want to look good. Look at how popular the Horde suddenly got once the Blood Elves were added.

Aye, but the roster of playable races is so heavily saturated by conventionally attractive female models. Not even the most grotesque and beastly races are exempt from this (take the Forsaken for example).
If this is talking of the red draenei, then I am for it!