Actions Taken Against Exploitation -- July 1 Update

Since the launch of WoW Classic, we’ve taken action daily against accounts that were botting, hacking, and selling in-game services for real money. This continual effort has resulted in the average daily number of accounts actioned consistently increasing in the Americas, EU, Korea, and Taiwan. In May of this year, we witnessed a surge in the number of botters, and our intensification of efforts to eliminate them brought our average of actioned accounts upwards into the thousands per day.

Since our last post about this issue on June 17, we’ve continued to remove exploiters at a high pace, typically 2,000-3,000 per day, with over 4,000 accounts actioned on some days. This daily effort has resulted in actions taken against over 40,000 accounts since June 17 in the Americas, EU, Korea, and Taiwan.

We’re dedicated to driving the the exploiters away wherever we can, as we continue to make our response to this one of our highest priorities. This is a long-term effort that becomes continuously more difficult, as exploits and those who use them are driven by real money profit motives. We take action constantly, 24/7, to enforce the Blizzard End-User License Agreement. Any account that violates or assists others in violating license limitations on hacking, cheating, and other unauthorized use of the game is subject to suspension and removal.

As always, we greatly appreciate your reports. Player reports have been and will remain highly valuable to us, as we must evolve our detection and response methods to stay ahead of the organizations who would otherwise degrade the game for legitimate players.

Thank you very much.

86 Likes

First? Hope it wasn’t a wave of legit players as well.

8 Likes

I mean it absolutely hit some legit players. 0 question about that.

9 Likes

remove the 30 instance cap a day you bums

48 Likes

How does one report shady AH stuff that appears to be Gold buyers? I saw someone selling single rough arrows at 250g buyout.

2 Likes

Just introduce tokens already.

The overwhelming majority of the playerbase wants it and it will immediately deter bots and scummy mage farmers.

13 Likes

I feel posts like this may go a long way in curbing some of the rampant misinformation that spreads throughout the community. There will always be people looking to spread discontent but those voices will be less pronounced the more you communicate your actions to the playerbase.

Policy change can be good. I think Blizzard should be more open about things like this and this is a good start.

26 Likes

And you’re removing the 30/day cap that does nothing to the botters and punishes loyal hard core players, when?

20 Likes

Keep it up. 40,000 more tomorrow, please. :+1:

21 Likes

Just sell gold directly. That will give them no reason to be here. Don’t broker their sales with a token like you did on retail.
Seriously though. You say you’re committed to stamping them out. Why the hell would you introduce a system that brokers their gold sales? I’ve never understood that…unless ofc that was to keep them subbed…/tinfoil hat

Sticky now

1 Like

good to see blizz actually doing something on the regular, i was expecting them to just do the 1 ban wave and disappear again.

7 Likes

Basically, people are motivated by profits to be scumbags. The irony of this statement coming Activision Blizzard.

4 Likes

On neutral AH or faction based one? Faction one, that’s a bit suspect. Neutral though, It’s not uncommon for people to “transfer” gold to other faction via neutral auction house by listing a gray for obnoxious amount.

8 Likes

Glad to hear that you are doing things to try and make the game better. It just irks me when I see people openly talking about reporting multi-boxers just because they think that multi-boxing should not be allowed. Which in my opinion does nothing to help get rid of the actual people breaking the rules and forcing you all to have to sift through false flags and real flags.

1 Like

Kotick can’t be having anyone else getting that money. It’s all his. Now he gets more from the bots paying for new subs. Win, win.

3 Likes

Oh, this stuff is heavy on the faction AH. There was one with a character name similar to a big company who only ever posted single stacks for a buyout that no one in their right mind would consider (think 500g for a 1c loaf of bread).

Yes just turn this in to another pay to win game. Already the downfall of pretty much every other MMO.

14 Likes

Devs please open up the locked realms, or atleast give the option for people who already have a char on the locked realm be able to create a char of the opposite faction on the same realm(you cant since its locked).

2 Likes

And yet there is no message of meaningful impact. Just raw numbers that have no contextual value to anyone because there are no other datapoints to compare them to. This message is meant to elicit an emotional response (40k in 13 days! such wow!), but is really devoid of actual substance. It’s even defeatist in tone.

7 Likes