A long series of Attempting to reconnecting Forums and issues that seem unresolved

Hey, since about December 2019, I have had this issue, where at completely random, without any disconnection from the internet, SC2 “attempts to reconnect” but never does. I know for a fact that the internet doesn’t cut, because I can receive and send messages through blizzard while the game is “attempting to reconnect” which in my case, it will just sit there, until I press surrender.

This happens at-least around 5 to 6 mins in (usually), this happens about half of the time on a bad day, and some days it doesn’t happen at all, and there seems to be no clear connection between the instances. But I have also noticed a small fraction that have disconnected at 7-8 mins, 8-9 or 10-11, but those are the rarely disconnection. Id say it happens about 40% of the time overall.

I have noticed that there are actually a surprising amount of forums about the same issue, with various amounts of data given by the authors. Ill list them here: (At-least the ones I saw)

1:Sc2 disconnect with fast internet speed Oct 19

2: "Attempting to reconnect Nov 19

3:SC2 says it can't connect and forces surrender Nov 19

4:Franzji - Attempting to reconnect Dec 19

5:Attempting to Reconnect - Defeat Dec 19

6:Attempting to Reconnect - Netgear Routers March 23 (yesterday) 2020

Each of these seem to reference the same issue i’m having. For some, there has been a few tech responses, all of them seem to be unresolved at-least from what I have seen as a ‘for sure’ solution posted to their forums.

So, at some point, I will send in a Tech ticket, but i have been lazy about it, and I wonder if a good solution has been found at all before going through the process.

Also, I would like to note that this issue seems to have started around October 2019 since that is the earliest I have seen a post about it, but I stopped at September 2019, so I do not know if the issue exists before Oct 2019 for sure.

Anyways, I hope this helps Techs and players affected by it alike.
Hopefully there is a solution to it.

Hey, so i have tried today to fix the issue by updating my Routers Drivers: Did not work… which is a bit disappointing but I’m not surprised, this issue is very odd and I can not think of a proper fix for it.

Just a quick question because I had a similar issue when on wireless: Are you playing on wireless when disconnected?

Actually its always directly plugged into the router.

Im not sure why only Starcraft 2 is affected by this issue, because the internet doesn’t cut out… AND I can actually see people pming me while its “attempting to reconnect” and I can actively chat with them in Blizznet PMs

Its very odd. I Wonder if its a odd issue with my Router, or if its a issue with it being a older copy of Starcraft, since I have had this SC2 since its original release

Just theories

have you checked if energy efficient ethernet is turned on? if it is, you need to turn it off. it is usually turned on by default.

Thank you gathering this list, PhoenixMW! I’ve recorded the reports and majority of them are from are from Comcast/Spectrum. A lot of them were missing WinMTR reports though to confirm if its Netgear. You can tell when a router is a Netgear router in the WinMTR test. If it says www.routerlogin.com on the first hop, it is likely a netgear router.

I’ve added your list that you’ve collected to our tracking with details. It looks like with the global situation a lot of users are returning and it’s helped us put this connection together.

I am curious, we have seen issues with netgear routers before with Overwatch PvE, which enabling QoS actually helps, instead of disabling.

Could you go ahead and post if enabling the QoS helps at all on the other thread that we’re tracking this issue on? To help keep this under a centralized thread to gather reports on, I’m going to go ahead and close this. Thank you again for putting these reports together and I’ve added as much data as I can to our tracking from these threads :slight_smile: