[OW2] Make Mercy Wider + 1.5sec GA

Here’s a really simple idea to get that 1.5sec GA back for Mercy.

As far as I can tell, the devs were rather particular about listing out how Mercy’s Death Rate stats are similar now to before her rework.

I think the devs would be fine giving Mercy back her 1.5sec GA, as long as it didn’t decrease her Deaths Rate.

That said, here’s a really easy way to do it.

MERCY

Guardian Angel

• Cooldown reduced to 1.5 seconds, down from 2.5.

General

• Mercy’s arm and wing hitbox size increased in size by 50%.

As we can see her head and torso have this bulky hitbox (Which is normal). But the hitbox on her arms and wings is comparatively quite small. If they increased that, then that would be an easy “dial” that they could use to give Mercy the ideal Deaths Rate, after giving her back the 1.5sec GA.

And one really great thing about it. It’s literally invisible. If most Mercy players didn’t hear about the drama and just logged in to play. They wouldn’t even know that was there at all. (Which makes it pretty difficult to complain about).

Additionally, they can adjust her head hitbox size if they want to focus on increasing her deaths rate at high ELO, without much impact to lower ELOs. Another “dial” they can use.

And a much more direct approach would be to just increase her torso/legs hitbox by some percentage. Another “dial” they can use.

I think this is a relatively simple, and direct approach to make sure she’s statistically easy enough to kill, with her regained mobility. With they option use those “dials” to target specific ELO skill tier death rates to their own ideal.

But also this puts the Fun back into the hero, in a way that would reduce the criticism of a more obvious compensation nerf.

Additionally, similar to messing with the fire rate or projectile speed on a gun, messes with the “muscle memory”. Having to relearn all the positioning and game sense around a hero, for every map, is something that is just a lot of unnecessary mental frustration.

12 Likes

i dont want to be rewarded for clicking air and having her die. if anything this game should tighten its hitboxes and projectiles further (increase speeds across the board too)

the people who are best using her movement are playing against people who can aim really well. most mercy players dont have great movement like how most players dont have great aim.

shes an issue for everyone right now because she could stay airborne with no effort like was required before these universal movement changes. goodluck hitting her with projectiles. good luck hitting her with hitscan before falloff. enter the sniper dps.

skill should be rewarded more than anything in this game. this lowers the bar.

8 Likes

If the difficulty to kill her stays basically the same, then wouldn’t that “skill” to kill her be basically the same?

sure but why should she have an inflated hitbox to hit her.

imagine if they did this to tracer.

this change has cascading effects that does nothing but bandaid an issue that later becomes infected from that band aid.

1 Like

Or instead the devs can just tune what we have now as needed since GA’s reworked tech proved too strong at a 1.5s cooldown

Maybe we end up with a 2s GA, 40% healing bonus to low HP allies & 20% self heal instead of 2.5s GA, 50% heal bonus & 25% self heal like we have now

2 Likes

What am I supposed to imagine?

2 Likes

Which I just interpret as “Makes her Death Rate too low”. And there’s a ton of less obnoxious ways to increase her amount of deaths.

1 Like

I don’t think keeping her 1.5s GA and making her hitbox larger is a “less obnoxious way”

She’d still have insane jerky mobility and instead get hit by things she shouldn’t because her hitbox is enlarged. Not good for anyone

1 Like

Do you have a better way to increase her amount of deaths with a 1.5sec GA?

Since to me, it’s pretty difficult for the vast majority of Mercy players who don’t read patch notes, to complain about a change that is literally invisible.

1 Like

Or we could revert the changes.

Address Ressurection and Damage Boost.

Switch her E and, make Ressurection a single resurrection ultimate with the slow removed, and the cast time 0.5 seconds. Ultimate Cost- 1280-1300

Valk on E is now on a 12 second cooldown, with a duration of 6 seconds. Beam does not break on activation.
Damage Boost- Replace with Damage Reduction- whomever you blue beam, now receive a damage reduction.

Caduceus Blaster: Is now a hitscan, reduced the bullet size by 10%.

Caduceus Staff: Same change that we have right now live, just add on x (reload only on the staff)

A new ability called, Angel Blessing, where it is on an 8-second cooldown, and does an AoE healing of 50HP burst.

Tbh, I don’t know why Mercy players would rather ask for too much, get nothing, and be upset about it.

Which is more of a commentary of Mercy mains on the forum in general, over years.

Devs have too much of a “sunk cost” on this to do a full revert, much less kick up a ton more drama than they already have on their plate.

It’s far better to just “Give them a way to do their own idea, but with an implementation that avoids most the drama.”.

1 Like

It is not just Mercy players, it is all players quite frankly. This is why the PTR needs to be used , there were plenty of changes to other mains that felt really terrible despite the outcry/ feedback.

Simply reverting and trying something new is simple enough at least as these changes did not accomplish anything at all statically.

1 Like

Well yeah. But it’s also a great way to get the devs to near completely ignore the feedback. Especially when the tone inevitably turns to “working against the devs”, and gets to be either passive aggressive, or vindictive.

They really don’t want that kind of time sink, when they got PVE coming out some time in the next 6-8 months. And OWL starting up in a few weeks.

My fix is to not go back to 1.5s GA and to instead tune what we have now, a slightly longer GA with in combat self healing & increased healing on low HP allies

Well, I do agree adjusting down the Recovery Passive is also an easy way to lower her survival.

But the GA cooldown nerf is similar to lowering Lucio’s wallride speed. They really aren’t going to be happy/content unless they get it at 1.5sec.
Especially with a 1.3sec beam disconnect, and 1.75sec Rez. Those fractions of a second really matter.

And happy Mercy mains probably buy a lot more skins per capita than almost any other hero main.

As well as serving as an entry point to the Support role. And there really isn’t another game with a hero quite like it, so they have a relatively captive audience.

So it’s the devs best interest, finacially, to keep that playergroup happy.

Besides which, her main issues are at very high ELOs, and if she falls out of the meta, then most of them could care less.

1 Like

If that is the case, then do not commit to such changes if time is a factor. PvE was supposed to been ready since launch honestly, that was the whole reason for OW2, which got pushed back due to reasonings and balancing for 5v5.

OW1 mercy movement was not an issue, but they were adamant to make super-jump “easier” when all that was needed was to look up advanced tips and tricks for Mercy.

I understand both parties in this one. The devs want feedback, they receive both feedback from both non-mercy players and mercy players about these changes should not stay.

It just feels like feedback are being ignored on our end and communication is being avoided on the devs end.

Well yeah, because the feedback isn’t in the right format.

It’s almost always some equivalent of “I demand the devs stop what they are doing and do this instead”. Usually with a lot of focus on trying to guilt the devs into action.

Instead of “Here’s a better way to implement the design approach you were trying to go for”.

I.e. “Working against the devs” vs “Working with the devs”

There were videos, constructive feedback forums I witness on here etc.

Working with the devs, but that is and never is enough since statically she is fine, but if these changes were implemented to bring her down, then these changes did nothing, but just upset both parties. That is not a good balance from a birdseye view. I guess we have to wait until season 4, but it looks like a lot of people are switching to zen, and now he is getting complaints in DB.

Well, Skiesti and Niandra are quite good at constructive feedback. Their videos are great.

And the one singular post Skiesti made impressed the heck out of me.

Why the new Mercy GA (not SJ) is actually good

But it also just goes to show how most Mercy posts are less about “A salespitch to the devs” with high respect to conveying most the idea within seconds, and more like a “Stream of consciousness rant that’s 8 paragraphs long and not that clear what it was all about”.

Other than that, I guess Tatianna made a bunch of good efforts.

But really, if it’s in the format of “defying the devs”, instead of “saving the devs the mental legwork and helping them do what they wanted to do with a few tweaks”. It’s probably going to get ignored.

1 Like

Her pocket currently is a way bigger issue than her being more difficult to kill imo. It’s practically impossible to kill a pocketed player unless you one-shot them.