How to fix Mercy and make her more skillful

Mercy
Guardian Angel
An almost full revert of the omnidirectionality and flight meter bar etc. changes of OW2 but keeping superjump accessible with the crouch button instead of only the OW1 “crouch + GA into jump” input.

This essentially means:

• slingshots can no longer be performed in any direction the player is facing
  • superjumps can only be performed if Mercy starts her flight from the ground
  • slingshots and superjumps are based on distance to the target (as opposed to Mercy’s personal GA flight time on live servers)
  • superjumps can still be performed with crouch or with the traditional OW1 “crouch + GA into jump” inputs
  • the GA “active ability” duration back to 1s down from 1.5s
  • all GA inputs that put the ability into the “active ability state” can be canceled manually again to start the CD early

If these changes proof to be too clunky as previously anticipated prior to OW2’s release, the CD can be decreased to 1.25s or 1s accordingly, which I highly doubt anyway, as Mercy will be keeping her Sympathetic Recovery Passive.

These changes will put Mercy back to her OW1 place where no one complained about Mercy or her movement, cuz her movement actually required practice and experience to master as opposed to just flicking you camera away from the enemy.

Complaining abt old GA is clownery and everybody knows that, please give us back old Mercy and leave her alone.

1 Like

What a charming disguise for a net nerf.
I’m saying… this is bait.

1 Like

If you bothered reading any of the changes, you would know that this is just a revert to OW1 Mercy which was perfect imo and undeniably had a perfect in sync kit.

Mercy’s survival required a lot more effort and experience to master and was never op enough to warrant any tinkering with her cooldowns.

But old GA alone would likely be too weak in OW2, so she gets to keep her Sympathetic Recovery Passive and can even receive buffs to either GA or her Passive if needed.

Take it as a nerf if you want, but her old movement was definitely more fluid and smooth than this poopy caca we have right now.

1 Like

I did bother and I regard them as a net nerf while you don’t. That’s all there is to it.

To me, it’s really simple:

1. Nerf/Rework Snipers for less frustrating counterplay
  2. Rework Pharah for less long range spam, but more horizontal mobility.
  3. Mercy heals flying teammates at 35hps
  4. Full revert on GA back to OW2 Season 2
  5. If needed, increase the hurtbox size of Mercy so she’s easier to shoot. (Particularly, increase the Wing/Arm hurtbox size).

Why should Mercy heal flying teammates at a reduced rate? Seems kind of counterintuitive.
Honestly, the only two changes I’d make to her would be to allow Mercy players to cancel her GA again and make Valk and actual ultimate (Critical Healing brought back) and increase its cost. This will make Mercy less of a damage boost bot because it incentivizes Mercy players to heal in order to ult faster.

Because it’s a very direct way to solve PharMercy/EchoMercy issues, without having to wreck the usability of those heroes separately.

To use a fancier term, by isolating the problem game mechanic to something that can be directly balanced, it offers “Game Element Modularity”.

Game element modularity boils down to an idea that each game mechanic should exist for a specific purpose, and if possible, a singular purpose. When this principle is adhered to, tweaking a mechanic only changes one aspect of the gameplay, rather than several aspects.

GameDev.net - Techniques for Achieving Play Balance

As for how you could make it more intuative, they could have a ground aura effect below the teammate with full healing.

The beam and teammate hud healing-received effects could also be dimmer/brighter, based on the level of heals.

I agree, just revert her back to OW1. She was a lot more skillful that way, I would go fourth and say do a full revert meaning the only way to super jump is if the player know how to do the OW1 tech.

This adds skill expression, while allowing the players to practice and look up more advance tip to be better at that particular hero.

2 Likes

Mercy needs some changes to her beam to stop the pocketing which is an unhealthy mechanic. Evey support should be able to miss their heals. This lock-on even when looking and moving in the other direction is just dumb and zero skill.

Give her as much movement as you want - that should be her thing - but the beam needs some skill element to it beyond deciding who to apply it to and which button to press to get the pretty blue or yellow light.

Mercy is fine - nothing needs to be fixed, but thanks!

Give her Turn A Gundam’s ultimate ability :slightly_smiling_face:

Zen ? Lucio ? LW ? Brig ? You could even argue Moira. Do they have to miss their healing too ?

The changes since season 3 just kept on discouraging me in playing mercy, every patch made it worse and after all i think i found a pretty decent playstyle to make my way through rankeds for the changes as they came. However im a bit sick of this, testing out the limits finding out what manoveurs are good and which are pressing your luck too much. Try and error ig but honestly i dont feel like changing the GA by that much ever again. It sucks. You know why? No matter what you change people will be unhappy on both sides, so its gonna undergo changes again. Which is good, because changes keep the game fresh. But since GA is a low cd muscle memory ability you dont wanna change it twice a month. It’s degrading to the muscle memory mercys worked on. Have small nerfs, have small buffs stop trying to revert the changes into prehistoric times. You dont know how these changes will play out and just how much it needs to be adjusted in the future if it was implemented.

Devs: Mercy is overturned
Main Mercys: agree
Devs: tuned her even more
Main Mercys: :(((
Forum: lets revert and overturn her slightly the same
Optimistic main Mercys: another nerf and monstrous transportation of our kit, looks like I have to never stop learning
Realistic thinking main Mercys: not again!!!
Pessimistic main Mercy: everything is according the plan, as they said "main Mercy doesn’t deserve happiness "

agreed with everything, except point 4

it was way too much during season 2 she could fly way too quickly everywhere non stop, in every direction

And why is that a problem, if they nerf/rework the main “problem heroes” she was pocketing?

Why are GA changes so overly complicated?

1 Like