✅ Nerf Mei Frost to be a Projectile

It just occurred to me a big part of what makes Dive not work now is that D.va gets stomped on by Mei.

The whole focus of GOATs and current “Mini-GOATs” is primarily attacks that bypass Defence Matrix.

Sigma also falls into the mix, being a bit of a liability with how much Mei can mess with him.

So here is an easy thought on how to fix this.

Mei

Endothermic Blaster

• Reclassified as a Projectile weapon, instead of a Beam weapon.

Comments: This means D.va/Sigma can be a direct counter to Mei freezes, instead of Mei being their biggest weakness. It helps strengthen Dive, weakens “Mini-GOATs”, and generally more D.va means heroes like Moira/Reaper are kept more in check. More dive tanks also means snipers are kept more in check.

21 Likes

I can understand this from a balance perspective but I think it would feel really weird in game for that to happen. Seeing the freeze spray just get eaten like that.

That would take some getting used to.

1 Like

I mean he’s not wrong, but the little blaster thingy comes out like a beam.

Technically it’s already a projectile.
I has travel time, it’s not instant.
A beam would be instant.

Also the way I see it. Things are brewing that could mean a nerf for Mei. And I figure this is a largely “invisible” nerf for her that has more high tier implications.

3 Likes

It’s an interesting idea but I don’t know how they could visually justify it.

I’d rather they just roll back some mei buffs and D.Va nerfs.

It is an interesting idea though

3 Likes

I was just thinking about the same thing earlier. The main dilemma I hit was that Genji deflecting frosty stuff would feel silly… mostly because of the sound deflecting makes. Not sure it would really make sense exactly for Defense Matrix, either, but people usually interpret that as her “eating” the stuff instead of shooting it down anyway, so that’s probably fine.

Also Moira’s heal spray might need the same treatment if this change were to happen, since it otherwise behaves the same wei as Mei’s sprei.

1 Like

I mean, it’s fundamentally a different look than a energy beam. And it takes like a good 0.3 seconds to hit an enemy at max range.

You go to Gamepedia and they describe it as

2 Likes

This is actually a really interesting idea. Like imagine deflecting it into the enemy team or something.

What if it just shot cryo snow balls? They would freeze the target after stacking up

Well think of it this way:
More D.va, More Genji, More Hammond

What types of compositions does that sound like?

And in terms of optics, don’t you think we had enough of GOATs style visual chaos? Considering of they nerf snipers, the whole meta is just gonna become some equivalent of GOATs with Reaper/Mei.

New season of OWL, still “basically GOATs”.

…but Mei already has a projectile with icicles.
Feels weird to me to be doubling up. :thinking:

1 Like

I look at it this way.

Nerf Mei with something like this, to prevent a nerf that would otherwise put her into dumpster tier.

Cause you know the devs will do it.

Yeah, let’s not do that. Genji’s deflect is strong enough as it is. He doesn’t need to be able to deflect the freeze ray too

1 Like

With the changing a heroes weapon type…

Mei was in the game back when dive was meta, and if memory serves her primary has been largely untouched beyond the time where they adjusted how slows work for her and Sym.

I don’t really think she’s what’s keeping dive away.

Genji is kinda garbage tier at high tier play, and I’d rather a buff like this rather than a buff to Genji that’s more substantial.

Well, the main buff was during Dive meta, she couldn’t multi-Freeze.

Also before 222, you’d just run a bunch of Tanks instead of a Mei.
Now Reaper/Mei are the Tankiest DPS heroes.

And you got tons of Pros anticipating either Hanzo/Mei, or Reaper/Mei to be the next meta.

1 Like

I think that is interesting! Good take. I hope they find some way to do this. Also, I feel the problem is that we are due for a new hero who could ultimately change the tide of battle (like most do when a new hero is released) but we are behind. The fact we didn’t get a new hero this time around in November is what is causing such chaos I feel.

Give us ECHO!

technically it is a projectile weapon though, there is a travel time for the particles which is kind of odd but yeah, you can test this by tapping it in front of someone and see how they aren’t affected until that little bit of frost reaches them

as for why dva isn’t able to eat it… I don’t know

This would make me so happy as a Sigma main.