✅ Nerf Mei Frost to be a Projectile

I am not opposed to this. A reasonable compromise. Well done.

The wording is off, but the distinction being made here is really whether it’s beam or non-beam, rather than hitscan or projectile. This would be changing a projectile beam to a projectile non-beam, thereby making it edible, deflectable, and much less damaging against armor.

1 Like

Cryofluid Stream?

That makes it a fluid, not plasma

To be honest, it’s already a projectile in all ways but interaction. It has a travel time, a moving spherical hitbox, and isn’t even instant at point blank-ish range. So it wouldn’t really be a huge leap to go from beam to projectile in terms of interactions.

My guess is it became a beam during the balancing phase of production. Because it would be utter garbage if it could only hit one person AND could be deflected/deleted. lmao

Though now that the beam hits multiple targets… I’d probably still vote to keep it as a beam. She’s basically a walking Symmetra Sentry utility wise, with her MB1. So she has to be much better at it than Symmetra’s Sentry can be. Meaning more damage, more targets, and more utility to make it all worth the risk of being 10m or close to the action without any traditional defenses and an above-average hurtbox.

1 Like

This would also mean Genji would deflect Mei’s primary…

Interesting.

1 Like

Yeah, I was just thinking. Imagine Genji deflecting freeze.

1 Like

Yeah well he deflects everything else under the sun so why not amirite?

2 Likes

Imagine Dive being viable.

Also if they really needed to they could class it as a fluid, instead of a hard projectile or plasma.

Similar to how Genji can’t deflect biotic grenades fluid.

1 Like

He can deflect Lava, and FireStrikes, why not freezy stuffs

3 Likes

I’m reading all the bUt gEnJi in the thread and it’s really making me miss the days where you could actually protect your teammates with deflect

1 Like

It is interesting how much meta hinges on a simple differences between projectile or beam.

To +80% of the playerbase it makes no difference.

But huge meta implications.

People will still complain and it generally means you get about 2 seconds worth of time. So the tiers that complain the most will still find her oppressive as long as she can slow.

Yeah, and the sky will still be blue, and the water will still be wet.

That’s not gonna change.

And if it’s not gonna change, why worry about it?

Because if this nerf is supposed to be something that would avoid her being put into the dumpster tier, as you said, then that’s not really a safe bet. Seems like a band-aid fix to me, which while is perfectly acceptable to Blizzard, we as a community can do better.

It gets her out of the GM/Pro tier complaint area, and into the somewhat ignorable Silver tier complaint area.

Which she was for most of her existence, which is a terrible thing to make a character for.

I figure it’s a necessary evil.
As long as Mei is never both unfair AND unfun, she’s safe from dumpster tier.

Okay pretty good but not top tier, is probably the best place for a really annoying CC hero.

(That goes for Roadhog too)

This is coming from a guy who asked for every specific Mei/Roadhog buff they got in the past few years…

The dumpstering of Roadhog is what brought me, and I fear and respect the prospect of dumpster nerfs.

1 Like

Hard core pass on this. Mei isn’t played every game and the one she aren’t played d.va is still a terrible pick because of her own kit that you don’t even need a mei swap. The fix to d.va’s problems are 100% with her not anyone else. The solution isn’t to make Mei worse just to not fix d.va’s problems. All it does is mask the real reasons she needs help with a bandaid not in the right place.

As for Mei I would rather a more cleanse like effects be in the game in other ways than this. This is more of something better suited for new heroes (possibly divided among several of them) or possibly Mercy and her pure healer archetype expanded to status.

Also the even bigger underlying issue with this fix is it depends on d.va being good to tone down mei. It is not a good idea to try to tether balance of one hero to another. There are so many examples of this going wrong (see Phara/Mercy, Rein/Zarya, Orissa/hog and how much they drop as a pairs if one gets hit this argument applies to counters too btw) or other wise over restrictive and more limiting to the same 6 heroes. If you want to get more viability to the roster as a whole at a given point then we need to create less of these pairings not more.

as an example of counters and how much they can go away if things get hit balance wise look at someone like Sym. Double barrier is her best meta ever by how her kit works and now she still has the same problems as before and still is one of the worst dps.

Dva can eat torbs nut and you wonder how she could drink a slushy?

4 Likes

No.

Because then, technically, Symmetra and Zarya’s beams would need to be adjusted to also be ‘projectiles’ or else they’d be hating on specifically Mei.

1 Like