Keep OW2 separate?✅

Make Overwatch 2 separate from Overwatch 1?

Key changes Overwatch 2 is an entirely new game. It was described as a replacement/reboot. Many things are being removed and changed including: - **One less** player slot per team (5v5) - **One** tank per team - Assault maps **removed** from the Competitive playlist - Tank heroes become **brawlers** - **Competitive Open Queue** mode may be **removed** given that the game will be rebalanced entirely with the solo tank possibly receiving extreme power buffs - Changes to the underlying game engine - Level portraits - Crowd control abilities will be redistributed - Heroes like Doomfist may be changed **entirely**. - A small amount of movement acceleration will be introduced. - **Hero passives** will be introduced. - Each individual player has more carry potential and there is **less of a focus on teamwork**. - UI and HUD - Rank **decay** - **Monetisation** scheme and cosmetics - Gold weapons - Hard disk space required will likely be **increased** as a result of the new maps, modes and higher resolution textures. System requirements may be slightly increased. - Overall the way the game **feels, looks and plays** will be changed entirely. - The **current plan** is for all players to be moved over to the sequel as a **mandatory update**.

The current plan is for all players to be moved over to the sequel as a mandatory update. What if each game were kept separate?

Pros:

• For some Overwatch 2’s changes are positives and for others these are negatives. Those who prefer the game as it is now would have the option to continue playing Overwatch as it is today. Some may wish to enjoy each as its own game and go back and forth between the two.
  • Allows the original game’s design philosophy to be restored to having teamwork as the number one focus while sequel can fully commit to the more solo play style to appeal to modern gamers. Satisfies both crowds.
  • An opportunity for more revenue for Blizzard. They could charge separately for the sequel. This in turn could mean a higher quality product

Cons:

• If sold separately would require a purchase to play PVP and PVE. This may be seen as anti-consumerist.
  • Split in the playerbase
  • The original game would no longer receive content updates - it would effectively be “frozen”, but server, report, and anti-cheat systems maintenance would be a cost to factor in and would cut into developer resources. Resource investment should scale with popularity.
  • Divide in the player base could result in long queue times for either game - most likely the original.
  • Skins would not carry over.

Notes:

• Long queue times could be offset by having the less populated one or both go free to play (with the exclusion of access to the Damage role in Role Queue to somewhat balance the ratios) and matchmaking restraints could be loosened.
  • A possible discount could be offered for owners of the original game. Say, 50% off
  • Someone in the comments correctly pointed out that skins could still carry over as they would just need to pull from the original’s database. This would however probably be less profitable for Blizzard as well as reduce the novelty factor of it all.
  • Some of the comments have remarked that the original game would die. It may be argued that a natural death of the game due to lack of interest is preferable to a forced one
  • Successful games like World of Warcraft retail and classic illustrate the possibility of such separation
  • Whilst overwatch was marketed with the understanding that it would be a constantly evolving live service game it could be argued that the changes intended are so drastic that it no longer bears any significant resemblance to the game that was purchased originally, and that a mandatory update is anti-consumer-friendly. Whether or not it is more or less consumer friendly than simply selling a separate game is open to debate.
21 Likes

im pretty sure this is something jeff strived to stop happening

dont really like it

plus the cons outweigh the pros imho

10 Likes

Con: Splitting developer resources between two games.

10 Likes

Splitting the playerbase and the Dev’s resources outweigh any positive to this, though it was a good try.

8 Likes

6 months ago I would have said no. But with how the game is shaping up, I think letting players play with their preferred version of Overwatch is best. I personally like the idea of 5v5 as a Support player. But I feel for the tanks that are horrified by the concept.

10 Likes

I feel like people who ask for them to be separate haven’t considered the likelihood that that would mean playing the same game for years without content or balance updates.

I think that generally the desire for updates trumps the desire to have Mei freeze.

5 Likes

I feel like we need a better idea of what the end result 5v5 will actually be like. Many tank players may actually like it. The idea of being more self sufficient, less of a shield bot, hit by way less cc etc.

What we saw tho, had minimal changes other than 1 less person per team.

2 Likes

Pro: a perfect excuse to put minimal resources for OW1 in the next 10 years.

1 Like

Actually I feel they can still carry over. Since we can take all our items form a single database. For the assets however, we would have to share it with OW1.

1 Like

I am down, despite the cons. I do not really have a desire to play 5v5 based on my reaction and most pros reaction. I like 6v6 but I have zero faith in the dev team.

8 Likes

the cons outway the pro’s… its an easy no from me

I like the idea not only will it make blizzard more money it will have a fall back game for people who end up hating 5v5. Its better to have a safety net than no net at all.

4 Likes

Also con: The devs would either need to maintain two games at once or abandon Ow1 completely…

I can’t edit the post because Theres a link in it… oof

1 Like

I’m still playing Melee and it’s had no changes in the 6 or 7 years I’ve been playing. Still play games like chess with my brother despite no balance patches.

May be silly to compare Overwatch to hundreds of years of refinement creating the best game in the world, but point remains. New stuff is not the only thing that brings people in

4 Likes

I was purely basing that off the current state of the game. People barely want to play it as it is, with only balance changes and events. Now imagine it without the balance changes.

I’m sure there would still be a small dedicated community though.

Is this referring to 5v5? Why not just make an arcade mode for 6v6? Open queue is already there.

2 Likes

The main problem with that is patches would continue and tanks would be made for 5v5 so the fairly balanced patch we are in would turn to all hell.

Jeffrey fought hard :pensive:

3 Likes

This would make the most sense logistically imo. Just use all the balance info from before upgrading to OW2, and disable the new content stuff. Boom, everyone’s happy.

4 Likes

you mean only keep the server running with no updates, right?