YES, let us host private servers✅

When overwatch 2 comes out leave the option to host private servers for the original.

I think this would be great for a number of reasons :

• the original is less system intensive so people with older computers can still run it
  • the original probably takes up less disk space
6 Likes

The points you mentioned are not enough to invest development time for this feature tbh. OW1 is done and will be history once the 2.0 patch is getting released. We need to live with that decision.

3 Likes

The way they host servers and creation based tools for overwatch aren’t really user friendly, so even if this were to be done it would be either useless for us or they’d have to spend a lot of time in making it usable for us.

I think the latter won’t be the case as that would be another big project, which is definitely not their piority as of now.

What about these reasons then

It will never works out that way how you think with the following reasons:

• Hosting & maintaining servers in different regions for only few players it’s too expensive and not worthy
  • Having 2 different games would split the community and both games may suffer on queue time issues.

These are 2 heavy key arguments why Blizzard would never do this.

Yes but that’s why they could let us host private servers and then they wouldn’t have to pay for that

:astonished:

It won’t hurt the queue times for overwatch 2 because the number of people who still actually want to play the original will be so small. In the vast majority will simply move on to 2

The original game won’t have a problem with queue times because it will be small communities who plan to play pugs they wouldn’t even be any queuing involved.

Even if there were queue times it’s not that big of a deal compared to not being able to play the game at all is it?

It is not going to happen.

Blizzard is so paranoid of being pirated that the game doesn’t even have offline mode.

3 Likes

A) These servers will be hosted by private clients, so no heavy load or energy waste in the datacenter there.

B) They’ve always been pushing updates that split the community apart, not really a reason to just suddenly worry about that now.

There is no harm you making your own custom mode with 6v6.

The issue is as outlined here

Therefore it is still preferable to have access to the original game

If you think they are letting people have their IP for free you dont know Activision enough.

Also if in 2023 you are an FPS gamer that cant run OW2 properly … I have bad news.

Who is asking for this ?

It’s not just about being able to run it “properly” it’s also about those who really want to maximize performance out of their hardware for example someone might want to get a stable 240hz

Also even in 2022 256gb is still a very common size that laptops come with and every little bit of space matters

You can already do that now with custom games.

While this is something I believe they have directly stated, it is a sentiment that betrays an underlying mistrust of their own decision. Nobody at Blizzard thought that the Diablo II relaunch might “split the playerbase” so they deleted Diablo III. If they had faith that their decision was the correct one, and that players would genuinely have a better experience in the sequel, it wouldn’t occur to them to try and force the issue by deleting the prior game.

The simple, sad fact is that they know their sequel is a non-starter if they don’t delete OW1 in an attempt to force players to migrate. But if players don’t have a fun experience, deleting the previous game that they used to enjoy, is not going to do anything for those players. They’ll simply leave.

2 Likes

It’s unfortunate because we’ve been through this scenario before with the removal of competitive open queue …

One hopes that lessons have been learned

Forcing players to do what they do not wish to do is simply inadvisable…

Speaking of which - it bears repeating that the dev AMA from months back they were asked about retaining popular game modes such as non-role-lock open queue and no limits. They said at the time they weren’t planning on retaining it and refused to commit to reconsider. It’s highly likely that a non-role-lock mode will not be available for OW2. You’ll have either casual role lock mode or ranked role lock mode. That’s it.

Yes and I understanding that they did this because they believe it would be more consumer friendly but ironically it’s very much arguable at the more consumer friendly decision would be simply to release it as any other normal sequel just like Diablo 3 and 4, Warcraft 2 and 3

If that’s not on the table then surely the very least would be to provide the option to host private servers

Which is not easy, cause the devs would need to invest development time (money, developer work, etc.) to make this feature working.

While this is true they’ve brought the replay viewer and the workshop to us so they have experience with this. I believe the workshop only required 2 people

So yes it will require some investment but practically every major fps game of the previous decade was able to do this without issue so I see no reason to make excuses for a triple-A company like blizzard

NO MORE OPEN QUEUE?! welp it was fun while it lasted, hope blizz enjoy the money i’ve spent on this failed experiment because they won’t be seeing any more. what a shame.