[Confirmed] Dev team actively diverted resources to OWL

Source w/ timestamp:

Matthew Hawley (Senior Game Producer on Overwatch) When asked about how the Overwatch team chooses which feature to implement over another, here’s the relevant excerpt:

The Overwatch League last fall, like the actual employees in the Overwatch League was very small, and Team 4 helped carried a bunch of the weight in terms of team branding and all that stuff. That was a conscious decision where we pivoted dev resources to help make sure Overwatch League was successful, instead of perhaps working on a new feature we could’ve potentially added to the game.”

There you have it, folks.

358 Likes

He said that they only did it at the start because they were understaffed. I don’t think they’ve been doing it recently

19 Likes

I knew it! We have to go without because of the pros.

It was also said in another interview (or maybe the same) that they were gonna buff Sombra again but decided not to because she was played in contenders.

103 Likes

HA I BEEN SAYING FOR MONTHS!!! YOU ALL SAID I WAS CRAZY

…can we please take this straight jacket off me now?

124 Likes

Now time to wait for the “yea but we still got stuff” replies.

38 Likes

Multi million dollar sporting event, or Summer games mini game.

Is it any wonder why devs chose one over the other?

85 Likes

i was going to say that possibly their boss asked them to work on the league

1 Like

Curses. I forgot about that one.

Of course they did, LOL, anyone not blinded by esports fanboyism knew that from the start.

53 Likes

Guys you know they were talking about last fall right?

Right?

The implication here is that the OWL team is bigger now and Team 4 no longer has to help them out.

33 Likes

I mean it should be obvious. The summer games main menu was rather poor quality because it was gonna be barely used.

8 Likes

i mena, if your boss wants you to do something…you better have a good reason to say no

They made skins for them so was this ever a question? Anything takes resources. The questions are: how much/many and were they worth it?
Answers:
Unknown
Worth it. Growing the player base and making Blizzard money are good for everyone even if they dislike OWL.

6 Likes

Uhhh, good. Sombra is fine. She’s doesn’t need to be made viable in Gold because people won’t communicate.

14 Likes

Who cares about OWL resources. The answer to the last question was savage af. :joy:

3 Likes

It couldn’t hurt tho.

1 Like

Or balance changes more often possibly with a higher quality.

8 Likes

You could consider OWL an investment in future balance changes as a more active pro scene guarantees a quicker development of the meta (look at how long it’s taking people to figure out Symmetra without OWL running).

6 Likes

I could care less about the meta I just want the existing issues fixed.

12 Likes

And yet everyone told me they had separate teams and wasn’t taking resources from the main game.

Whos wrong now?

31 Likes