Instead of making a new UI for owl

And develop stuff for the game itself? That’s crazy.

1 Like

Yup, because the art team changing a few palettes are definitely hogging resources and screwing with game balance

1 Like

The devs admitted in an interview that they purposely diverted resources from the main game to try and make OWL a “success”, when they could have been working on features for the game itself. So yes, OWL deserves to be hated and it deserves to fail. Overwatch might not have degraded so much in quality if it weren’t for OWL.

Hint to any devs out there: forcing an eSport out of a poorly balanced game with an even poorer map selection will only permanently harm your game.

4 Likes

Yes and its run by a different team. Team 4 (The Overwatch Dev. Team) doesn’t handle OWL stuff. They helped out at its initial launch when the OWL Team was still short staffed. But that was only during the Fall season of the OWL launch.

Players however have been perpetuating the myth that the Dev. team is slaving away for OWL.

Also art team != UI team. The people who make skins are not the same people who make gameplay changes, UI changes, balance changes, new heroes mechanics, etc.

3 Likes

Not even relevant.

The money spent on OWL isn’t coming from the developer’s funds. It’s MLG’s budget, Twitch’s revenue, ad revenue, and buy-ins from various orgs including Comcast and other major players with deep pockets.

OWL is only taking time away from the devs. Not money.

2 Likes

Got you fam. [Confirmed] Dev team actively diverted resources to OWL

3 Likes

If you think they have separate teams of artists working on OW skins and OWL skins. Separate UI artists working on OW UI and OWL UI…

I don’t know what to say honestly.

Blizzard moves their non-essential devs around between teams ALL the time. The designers and team leads stay put, but everyone else is going to be moved around to do whatever is most needed at the moment.

I agree that this is untrue.

Jeff and Geoff and Arnold and Michael and the other folks we know from Team 4 probably don’t spend a lot of time on OWL-related stuff (especially Arnold and Michael, as they’re lead concept art/writing respectively – things not needed in OWL). Even Jeff and Geoff probably only go into a meeting with OWL team once a week at most.

But resources are finite.

The UI designers can only work on one thing at a time. Is it going to be OWL viewer client? Or is it going to be UI for the actual OW game? With all the cost-cutting going around, obviously they can’t just hire more people and work on both.

The coders, the QA testers, and base-level artists, etc. – they are the ones being shuffled around from one priority to another.

2 Likes

No, smart spending is giving 15 million to the HOF!

I was under the belief that playing video games was the point…

1 Like

Devs: Lets cut down on screen clutter!
Also devs: makes death markers the size of a crouching tracer
Devs: Yup, looks good.

1 Like

So basically you want a system similar to how Paladins does it?
i.imgur[DOT]com/yAA8CxI.jpg

To be fair, the UI stuff isn’t just for OWL. It’s for anyone spectating a custom game. Lots of streamers host custom tournaments (Like Jayne’s upcoming Peasant Cup) and some Streamers will host “Bronze Only” tournaments or “Plat Only Tournaments” for their subscribers.

Those games will all use the same UI interface and benefit from it just the same (As will the viewers on Twitch and Youtube).

You completely missed that guy’s sarcasm lol

1 Like

Have you tried turning on the allied health bars option? Personally, I don’t have a problem with knowing who on my team is alive but I’d love if I could always see ally ult charges in the bottom left or something. Spamming the scoreboard in the middle of the fight is awful.

1 Like

I was thinking EXACTLY this today. A toggle with the Tab key, so that if in case it does get in the way, you can easily turn it off.

1 Like

Why would they make Ultra Instinct for Overwatch League?

No it wasn’t. The execution was bad. But Overwatch league in and of itself isn’t inherently bad. It ensures that the game has a long life span. Provided it keeps the money coming.

If only we still had the old Blizzard, and i mean the Blizzard that actually cared about having satisfied customer base over an extra buck. Not the Activision infested Blizzard. All the top dogs of Blizzard have left. It’s mostly just Activision in control now. And that’s the reason why we’re getting little to no new content.

Overwatch league could have coexisted with more frequent content updates.
But new content makes little to no money, so they’re opting to invest into OWL.
(And perhaps a mobile game?)

1 Like

20 more owl teams = 0.4~1.2 billion USD goes into the actiblizzion coffers. Of all the problems with OWL and the game, spending isn’t one of them. Like if they actually paid the devs with that money maybe we’d be in a better spot.

This.

Saying that they have less content because OWL draws so many resources is a weak excuse. OWL and the main game are 2 different things (in terms of sustain). They shouldn’t affect each other in any way.

I hope they do - that would improve my gameplay experience by a lot. They let everyone play whatever hero they want in comp games but are worried about me cluttering up my interface with an optional UI element?? :slight_smile: