OW vs OW Leagye

I really hope you are trolling.

1 Like

what?

WHAT?!

8 Likes

i enjoy the overwatch league but just stop focusing on that and neglecting the game, the OWL can exist without the game being neglected

1 Like

You do know that OWL have different teams than the OW development team? The devs just take suggestions and feedback from the league and implement and change the game with their ideas in mind. They aren’t neglecting anything.

3 Likes

Lootboxes, merchandise, consistant advertising, purchasable skins, etc etc.

Hell, they could have brought in League players to test out when new heroes, rework, changes, whatnot and stream it instead of spend tones of money for a stadium and an old version of their own game.

6 Likes

Maybe, maybe not. Considering they never admitted to what was finally admitted in that video in the first place back then, we have absolutely no information or clue as to if they are truly separate teams now, or not. What do know now is that OWL did, indeed, pull dev resources from the actual game.

2 Likes

The teams are separate in terms of OWL team having their own League Commissioner (something that doesn’t exist in the OW dev team), their own casters, observers, hosts, broadcasting staff, etc.

Other than that, the OWL team does share artists with the OW dev team. UI designers, skin/model artists, etc. All those Team skins, the All Stars legendary skins for Tracer/Genji, the Twitch All Access Pass Lucio legendary emotes. All those were made by OW devs. OWL does not have their own artists.

1 Like

… With the several Billion dollars this game has already raked in?

2 Likes

At this point i dont care about regionally restricted and paywalled cosmetics since for an entire year we watched all the matches at midnight in central Europe and got nothing. I dont care about this reality show called OWL neither. But there is one thing what is far beyond ridicolous:

Why on Earth an actual E-sport doesnt have his own separate client with its own balances, HUD’s, etc? Coaches can directly talk with the devs to discuss about future balance changes. Devs watching OWL player streamers who discuss about balance suggestions. Its unhealthy to the game. Its that hard to make a separate E-Sports server/client from the game?

1 Like

Hmm, its not like they have a lootbox system or anything that makes them a lot of money…

Oh, thats not even including merchandise with NERF, Lego, the guys who do Nendroids…

Nope. Darn.

2 Likes

I think they’re just lazy or not motivated to tweak heroes at a moderate pace. I don’t know their staff potential, but even a small indie crew can tweak their game faster than them. The game WoW as we speak already doing tweaks within less than a month and can do more within a month or after a month. What’s Overwatch problem on keeping the game interesting?

2 Likes

Where are you getting the ‘several billion’ part? The game has made upwards of $1B. $1.25-$1.50B is vastly different from ‘several billion’.

Just because they made a lot of money from the sale of the game, does not mean they have that much money. This is a business, after all. You are completely omitting salaries/benefits for the people who work on the game, as well as any freelancers. Rent and utilities for any facilities. Server upkeep. Licensing fees. 100% free and new content, Money that has to go to Activision. All costs that OWL has taken up like building an entire stadium, and upkeep on said stadium.

There is a lot of overhead in video game development and decent sum of the revenue made from game sales must go to elsewhere and does not get pumped back into the game. Unless you actually like season passes.

1 Like

People still scapegoating OWL? :joy:

Cuz the game was totally balanced and had plenty of patching and attention paid to it before OWL came about!

Someone with a brain.

Hurray!

1 Like

OWL came into my house and broke my legs.

It’s true, muma was there and he couldn’t strop screaming in a very gay fashion “Rolled and smoked my doggie!!”

2 Likes

Blizzard could possibly see the detriment to completely neglecting ladder play by November. As BFV and BO4 come out, we could see a massive drop in numbers. That could be just the wake up call they need.

However, if Blizzard can get their sh*t together, and properly split resources between OWL and ladder play. The game could be in a much better spot. OWL is good for the game, in the long run. OWL brings revenue, and actually exposes new people to the game.

BUT. Once you establish a professional scene, you must balance around the professional scene. ‘Fun’ is not something you balance around.

Hanzo is no longer a troll pick. Even though he is spammy, he is NOT destroyed. DVA is NOT destroyed. Zen is NOT destroyed. Hog is just weird.

Well they did brag about how they earned a lot of money from lootboxes…

1 Like

Separate teams yes, but they took people away to help the OWL staff. They took resources from the development team to work on OWL

1 Like

It’s made billions already, and looks to be growing exponentially. Any intelligent studio would invest in it as much as possible. OWL, despite the seemingly overwhelming opinion on this forum, is immensely popular. It’s not going anywhere.

They get plenty from event lootboxes. and tons from PC smurfs and new players.

1 Like