CDC #12 - An Altered Fate

I’ll have a try and hope I do well.

I am in but I have questions

1. Are Cross universe influences allowed? Like a protoss who encoutners and wields warcrafts Light or Shadow magic
  2. How ingrained in the kit do the changes have to be, if it is someone who has a moral shift turning to what would have been defensive or offensive (basically can it be a ton shift that shows in the kit names or does it have to be an alternate power?)
  3. Are light AU’s allowed? I know you said it has to fit canon but what I mean by this is, can we change maybe singular events that have already occured, like let’s say just as an example an Arthas where the light did com to aid Invincible, with unbridled faith he grows into the great paladin he could have been (arthas not being allowed aside))

Thanks to everyone for your interest in the contest! I’ll answer some early questions people have had here.

You can use a Blizzard canon event to justify why/how the character has been corrupted/redeemed, but the actual character’s change can’t be canon. I’ll use Garrosh as an example even though he’s not allowed for the contest since he has an easy story.

• Garrosh’s corruption through the Heart of N’zoth is from a canon event but is also canon to the story, and therefore would not be allowed.
  • Making a Lightbound Garrosh based on Yrel’s post-WoD crusade is based on a canon event but didn’t actually happen, and theoretically would be allowed.

EDIT: I might have misunderstood the question. If you’re asking whether a character change that occurred in Hearthstone is allowed since it’s non-canon to mainstream Warcraft, the answer is no because it is still canon to Hearthstone. For example, the Old God-corrupted Hogger, Doom of Elwynn is not allowed.

I consider this to be a corruption/redemption that does’t make sense for the original character, since characters from different universes couldn’t interact pre-Nexus. As a result it’ll be considered not allowed.

I wouldn’t encourage a tone shift and would prefer to see more significant changes through the powers and techniques the hero has access to. An alternate Garrosh who decided to become an honorable leader of the Horde wouldn’t really justify any kit differences from our current Garrosh, for example. You can try to pull this off if the change is significant enough, but it’ll be tricky and might hurt you on Theme points.

I think AUs that follow from canon make sense in the restrictions and would be allowed. An AU where the Gnomes become Gundam fighters to destroy the Legion doesn’t really follow from canon, but one where Arthas resisted Ner’zhul’s influence and went on a redemption arc after struggling with Frostmourne’s corruption does make sense (though as you mentioned, Arthas is already in the game and not allowed).

I will say that your character should be represented soon after their change, so that we have two clear components with a before and after. With the previous example, if we gave Arthas a lot of time in this AU he could adopt further changes to his character that would create 3rd, 4th, etc. components to his identity, and it’d be better to just avoid that.

Alright, here we go, my first ever entry to CDC… There’s almost certainly big issues with this haha

2 Likes

As previously stated, I will also be participating in this contest. I wish the best of luck to my fellow contestants.

Well there goes my dream of undead fel-fire skull Kael’thas.

Heres mine. actually feeling good about this one this time.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/heroes/t/hc-adria-betrayer-of-demons-cdc-12/33215

Hey all, i do want to participate but my internet is down due to weather. I’ll get my stuff up asap. Good luck everyone and have fun. :grin:

hey great initiative ! i’m signing in :slight_smile:
Here is my Hero :

Heh, forgot to post the link. Here it is.

1 Like

Decided to go for a redeemed demon. What if Greed decided hoarding wealth was pointless?

Hhehehehhehe

1 Like

Done finally.

1 Like

I might sit this one out. I’m fresh out of ideas for this kind of challenge, plus I did really poorly last time, and I have like an hour to the deadline I think.

Former First Ascendant of the Tal’darim now loyal defender of the Terran Colony Haven. Ji’narra

Hello everyone! Week 2 judging is posted; sorry that it’s a day late, but I put a lot of time into each review and I hope it’ll be worth it!

Additionally, I’d like to remind everyone that the focus of Week 3 is not just changes based on Week 2 feedback, but also adding fluff to your kit. At least some skins will be expected, and character voice lines are also good. Furthermore, considering this CDC’s theme in particular, your backstory as to why your character’s redemption/corruption happened is also being considered as fluff; it will be judged more significantly in Week 3, so please have another look at yours and make sure you’re happy with it!

EDIT: I’ll be checking the forums frequently for the next few days, so if you have any questions or concerns about the review I left on your concept, let me know and I’ll be sure to respond.

2 Likes

Apologies for the delay. Talents are done.

I must admit, making talents is perhaps my greatest weakpoint in these things…got stuck for so long at tier 3.

2 Likes

Good to hear that you were able to finish! Now that the week’s started I have work and can’t power out your review right away (otherwise I’d do it now), but it should be done and up within a day.

Alright, Week 3 Judging is out, and a little earlier than might be expected! A couple of concepts seem to be delayed in their work, so their reviews will end up a bit later in the week, it would seem. If you have any concerns with the judging or if you’d like any clarification, as with Nortin I’ll be checking the forums throughout the week, so feel free to ask!

1 Like

Thanks to everyone for participating in the twelfth Concept Design Contest, judged by myself, WhoYouExpect, and Kyyteo. All of the scores have just been posted. This theme was very unconventional, asking participants to exercise creativity in a way most competitions haven’t thus far; that being said, everyone did great work coming up with new spins on familiar characters! And now for the results…

The winner of the twelfth CDC is Bliztron, whose Tichondrius concept took a well-established fel demon and gave him a celestial overhaul, with a unique and exciting mid-range mage playstyle and lots of flavor to boot. This earned a score of 97/100, link found here: [CDC] Tichondrius, the Lucid

The runner-up was waterlong’s Adria concept, which brought a redemption arc to a familiar villain, taking her iconic blood magic and giving it a new spin with supportive uses. This earned a score of 92/100, link found here: [HC] Adria, of Another Path [CDC #12]

Finally, for the honorable designer award, the judges picked Legendairy for their Urzael concept. This concept had some problems starting out, especially with matching too close to Urzael’s original appearance instead of a redeemed version. However, Legendairy’s dedication and effort strongly improved this Urzael over the course of the contest into the very interesting and thematically matching concept it is now.

With the end of the contest, I’d like to congratulate every participant again for their hard work and success on their concepts. I look forward to the next CDC, and hope to see everyone who competed this time showing their talents again with another round of great concepts!

2 Likes