[CDC] Tichondrius, the Lucid

Ages ago, the Pantheon of the Titans traveled the cosmos fostering world souls and using their powers to shape life and lock away the evil forces of the universe. The nathrezim were one of the oldest beings in the galaxy, delving into shadow magic. One day, Norgannon encountered a world devoured in the Void’s influence, with a conclave of Nathrezim serving as their minions. From them he learned a great deal about the Void, and, noting the potential of the race, offered them a choice: they could work as his emissaries in a purified form, or could be imprisoned by the demons. Their leader, Tichondrius, was the first to take up the gift, losing his physical form for a brilliant form of stars. With Norgannon’s blessing, he became an emissary across the stars, manipulating life across the galaxy, preparing it for the invasion of the Void.

Designer Notes

Originally, the world was discovered by Sargeras, who, in fear and rage at the Void, sundered the world. This event is what led him down the dark path of becoming the leader of the Burning Legion. Under Norgannon’s wisdom and guidance, the manipulative and scheming nature of the nathrezim was refocused on preparing the cosmos for the void’s coming. The look of the character would be similar to Alganon, but with the shape of regular Dreadlords. In addition, they would have galaxy-like faces. For silhouette, Tichondrius would float as opposed to walk and would be much more graceful in his movement. The wings would be shaped differently from Mal’ganis to reduce silhouette confusion.

In HotS, Tichondrius is an elusive spell-based mid-range assassin. While he can engage in melee and use his elusiveness to stay alive, he excels at a midrange, annihilating enemies with conditional spells that align just right.

Universe: Warcraft
Role: Melee Assassin

Summon Mount
Z (Mount) – 4 sec Cooldown
Increases your movement speed by 30% while mounted.

Explanation: There is no need for a special mount.

Astral Projection
Trait (20 sec cooldown)
Tichondrius summons a clone of him within 4 units that will then mirror his movement exactly. The clone will stay at this exact distance away from Tichondrius at all times, and any disruption applied to one is applied to the other. The inactive copy can fade through impassible terrain. This clone has the same health as Tichondrius. Tichondrius can reactivate the ability to swap main control between Tichondrius and his clone, changing which one can basic attack and cast abilities. Whichever Tichondrius is dealt 20% of his maximum health in damage first is slain, and Tichondrius resumes control of the other one. Any excess damage dealt to the slain image of him is ignored. Cooldown starts when the copy is slain.

Explanation: Astral Projection serves two key purposes; it allows him to protect himself in a high damage fight (since he has low-ish health) as well as allowing him to always keep at a distance from enemies if he positions correctly. Thematically, this matches the Dreadlord’s habit of illusion magic but with a Mirror Image spin. The distance and direction of the image are all set in stone upon being cast, and distance cannot be added or removed from Tichondrius’s clone.

Alignment
Q (3 sec Cooldown)
Tichondrius calls forth the images of two stars that fly from the sides of him to a center area. The stars are always 3 units away from him, and are 1 unit in width. Any enemy hit by the stars are dealt 120 (+4% per level) damage. Enemies in the center are dealt damage from both stars and are slowed by 40% for 1 second.

Explanation: Alignment is Tichondrius’s main damage tool, and focuses on spacing with a small amount of extra disruption to supplement Tichondrius’ ability to stay alive. As with the other titan creations, Tichondrius can reshape the cosmos while he fights. Alignment has a baseline cast time equal to the time it takes to perform the ability, which is not increased by Starwatcher’s Night.

Spatial Warp
W (10 sec Cooldown)
Tichondrius sweeps along a wide 5 unit line incredibly quickly, gaining Unstoppable and able to pass through units while moving. Any enemy hit is dealt 140 (+4% per level) damage and has their soul severed, being pulled along with Tichondrius. The soul remains severed for up to 3 seconds or until collected by the enemy, reducing their spell armor by 15.

Explanation: Spatial Warp gives Tichondrius some much needed mobility to reposition in a fight or escape. The spell armor reduction allows his Alignment to have some extra punch when he can use it to keep space between himself and his foe. Thematically, Norgannon has been known to practice soul magic, such as when he seals the souls of the Pantheon within their Keepers. It would make perfect sense for these teachings to have passed on to his prized subject, which also relates to the Dreadlords’ history in the necromantic arts.

Celestial Shroud
E (12 sec Cooldown)
Tichondrius unleashes a swarm of celestial beetles in a ring around him for 4 seconds, which starts 2 units away and ends 4 units away. Any enemy in this swarm is dealt 35 (+4% per level) damage per .5 seconds, are marked with Lifeblood for 3 seconds, and have their damage dealt reduced by 40% for .5 seconds. Lifeblood stacks up to 4 times, and is consumed when Tichondrius damages the enemy with another ability or basic attack, healing him for 25 (+4% per level) health per stack.

Explanation: Celestial Shroud is a titan reimagining of Carrion Swarm, which both supports the midrange identity of Tichondrius while offering him much needed sustain to keep in a fight long enough for his Q to punish his foes. To match the titan iconography from Uldum, he uses celestial beetles as opposed to locust.

Cosmic Intercession
Heroic #1 (X sec Cooldown)
Tichondrius performs a unique movement ability based on the distance of the ability. Each ability puts the entire ability on cooldown for a unique amount of time.
(0-4) Tichondrius blinks to the target location. 4 sec Cooldown.
(4-10) Tichondrius hesitates for .25 seconds before rocketing to the location in an arc, dealing 80 (+4% per level) damage to all enemies hit along the way. 12 sec Cooldown.
(10-25) Tichondrius channels for 2 seconds before teleporting to a target location in a burst of cosmic energy, dealing 300 (+4% per level) damage to all enemies within 4 units of his landing zone. 60 sec Cooldown.

Explanation: Cosmic Intercession gives Tichonrius an intelligence-forward, player-controlled movement option that can allow him to enter or leave a fight as he needs. The ability matches his story, with him interceding on a planet as a cosmic messenger, and the forward-thinking nature of the ability feels like a natural fit on Tichondrius, being the mastermind he is. While not a massive, teamfight winning effect, I think it’s versatility without complexity should make it feel good to use.

Starwatcher’s Night
Heroic #2 (90 sec Cooldown)
Tichondrius creates a 7 unit radius of shadows around his cast location. While within this shadow, Tichondrius becomes a faint shadow, becoming unable to be affected by any ally or enemy in any way, but can still move. While in this form, Tichondrius can still cast abilities, but they move much slower (about 30% speed). However, Tichondrius’s abilities only have a .1 second cooldown while within this form. Starwatcher’s Night lasts a total of 4 seconds, and ends instantly if Tichondrius exits the zone.

Explanation: As opposed to the combo enhancing power of Mastermind, Starwatcher’s Night causes Tichondrius to hone in on the elusive aspect of his kit. Starwatcher’s Night gives Tichondrius a way to sow destruction and area damage across a wide group of enemies, with the added benefit of disruption, healing for Tichondrius, and spell armor shred. Starwatcher’s Night can be a powerful teamfight heroic if Tichondrius is being focused. The heroic is a direct reference to his Phase 2 in his Nighthold fight in WoW. Instead of creating a night of nightmares, he instead creates a surreal, starry night.

Tier 1

• Reach of the Titans: After using an ability, Tichondrius’s next basic attack gains a range of 3 instead of melee, and deals spell damage instead of physical damage, plus an additional 22 (+4% per level) damage.
• Guardian Orbit: Alignment now also fires in the opposite direction on use. These stars act exactly like Alignment, including colliding at the middle point opposite to the targeted one.
• Draining Swarm: Celestial Shroud now slows the enemy’s attack speed by 10% each time they are hit by it, stacking up to 40%. This slow lasts for 1 second. Upon reaching 40%, the enemy is dealt an additional 115 (+4% per level) damage.

Tier 2

• Intergalactic Void: (Toggle) Whenever Tichondrius basic attacks an enemy Hero, he blinks 1.5 units in the direction opposite to them.
• Beguiling Asterism: When the copy that Tichondrius is not controlling from Astral Projection is slain, Tichondrius is reset to the health amount he had when he cast the spell and gains 20% increased movement speed for 1 second.
• Black Hole: Celestial Shroud no longer strictly follows Tichondrius, and instead slowly creeps towards his current location 1 unit every second. In addition, Tichondrius gains stealth while Celestial Shroud is active. If this stealth is broken, he re-enters it after .5 seconds.

Tier 3

• Shooting Star: When Alignment collides in the center, it will hesitate for 1 second before firing in a 5 unit line beyond the collision area, dealing an additional 120 (+4% per level) damage to all enemies hit and applying the slow. This damage can also be dealt to enemies in the collision area.
• Subverted Ephemeris: Astral Projection’s mimicked Spatial Warp now acts as a full cast of Spatial Warp, damaging enemies and dislodging their souls as per the ability. If an enemy is hit by two Spatial Warps, they are dealt an additional 150 (+4% per level) damage, but a second soul is not severed.
• Tools of Creation: Tichondrius’s basic attacks deal 25% increased damage for every stack of Lifeblood the enemy has. During Celestial Shroud, Tichondrius gains 25% increased attack speed.

Tier 4

• Cosmic Intercesion: Tichondrius performs a unique movement ability based on the distance of the ability. Each ability puts the entire ability on cooldown for a unique amount of time. (0-4) Tichondrius blinks to the target location. 4 sec Cooldown. (4-10) Tichondrius hesitates for .25 seconds before rocketing to the location in an arc, dealing 80 (+4% per level) damage to all enemies hit along the way. 12 sec Cooldown. (10-25) Tichondrius channels for 2 seconds before teleporting to a target location in a burst of cosmic energy, dealing 300 (+4% per level) damage to all enemies within 4 units of his landing zone. 60 sec Cooldown.
• Starwatcher’s Night: Tichondrius creates a 7 unit radius of shadows around his cast location. While within this shadow, Tichondrius becomes a faint shadow, becoming unable to be affected by any ally or enemy in any way, but can still move. While in this form, Tichondrius can still cast abilities, but they move much slower (about 30% speed). However, Tichondrius’s abilities only have a .1 second cooldown while within this form. Starwatcher’s Night lasts a total of 4 seconds, and ends instantly if Tichondrius exits the zone.

Tier 5

• Meteor Shower: Whenever Tichondrius uses an ability besides Alignment, Alignment’s cooldown is refreshed.
• Entropic Expansion: Every .25 seconds an enemy’s soul is severed by Spatial Warp, the cooldowns of all of Tichondrius’s basic abilities are reduced by .25 seconds.
• Starlight Falsity: Every 3 seconds, one of Tichondrius’s basic abilities that is not on cooldown will become an illusion cast. When Tichondrius casts the ability, it will act as if cast visually, but deal no damage and have no effects. This will not set the ability on cooldown. Every time an illusion is cast, Tichondrius’s abilities on cooldown will have their cooldowns reduced by 10%.

Tier 6

• Nebulous Claws: Every third basic attack against an enemy Hero gives Tichondrius Nebulous. His next basic ability will create a 4 unit circular cloud around him which grants allied heroes within 15 physical armor and Tichondrius an additional 15% spell power. Only one cloud can be active at a time, and lasts 3 seconds.
• Stellar Winds: Spatial Warp travels 2 units farther and leaves stellar force along the dash range. Allied heroes in the area gain 15% increased movement speed while in the area.
• Eyes of the Dunes: Celestial Shroud lasts an additional 2 seconds. Any enemy Hero in the area is revealed. Allied heroes within the Celestial Shroud can see through terrain, brush, and stealth.

Tier 7

• Astral Highway: Each of Cosmic Intercession’s range-based abilities now have their own, individual cooldowns.
• Infinite Stars: Starwatcher’s Night creates three additional copies of him in a triangle around him, each 2 units away from him. Tichondrius can reuse the heroic to select any of these clones and swap places with it. These clones stay exactly in the distance they were summoned from the central Tichondrius, and when Tichondrius walks, all clones additionally walk, exactly like Astral Projection. All of these copies also cast Tichondrius’s abilities, but these copied spells deal no damage.
• Norgannon’s Foresight: When Tichondrius is hit with a crowd control ability, he blinks 3 units backwards and negates that effect. If he is dealt lethal damage, he instead becomes unrevealable for 2 seconds and heals for 25% of his maximum health. If the first effect is activated, this goes on a 15 second cooldown. If the second is activated, this goes on a 75 second cooldown.
• Occultation: When Tichondrius has Astral Projection active, the copy that is not currently selected becomes stealthed. In addition, Tichondrius gains a secondary ability to cause the copy to start to rotate around his currently selected one at a rate of one revolution per 5 seconds.

Cosmetics

Skins

Hoarfrost Tichondrius - 750 Gems / 1600 Shards
Tichrondrius no longer has any cosmic effects or appearance. Instead, his wing model is slightly changed to be overgrown with ice, and he loses like an ice revenant. He also has a face now, which is shown as an ivory skull frozen in a block of ice. His voicelines will be changed to darker versions. Notable ability changes are his Alignment (which has a snow aftereffect), Spatial Warp (which has a more shadowy, snowy effect), and Celestial Shroud (which looks like a blizzard).

High Heavens Tichondrius - 350 Gems / 400 Shards
Tichondrius would have a diablo aesthetic now, with glowing white light wings. His face would now be pure black. He would not have themed abilities, voicelines, or animations.

Voicelines

You cannot stand against the cosmos.

We will burn the corruption from the stars.

Never trust a mortal to do a titan-spawns work…

Abandon your petty resistance and accept the salvation of the Titans.

You are a like a swarm of gnats, fit only to pick at corpses.

Special

The hero launch would come with a new event dedicated to redemption and corruption themes with corruption/redemption skins for other Heroes. Mephisto would get an Archangel skin, Ragnaros would get his LIghtlord skin, and Stukov would get a cybernetic skin in the same vein as Queen of Ghosts Kerrigan.

The event would also come with some corrupted/redeemed recolors of various mounts and the Celestial Steed from World of Warcraft.

3 Likes

Week 1 Judgement

Category Rating
Creativity 5/5
Cohesiveness 3/5
Thematic 5/5
Interaction 4/5
Overall 17/20

Creativity
5/5
I’ve always been a fan of the Lightforged Nathrazim ever since I laid my eyes on them in Legion. Their aesthetic is truly amazing and you bring that full-front here.

Cohesiveness
3/5
Despite his low health pools, I think he’s got more in common with a Melee bruiser than he does a melee assassin. Especially with the Armor from Spatial Warp, and the healing from Celestial Shroud. Coupled with the fact that he can send out a Projection to do all that stuff for him, and you could potentially never die.

Thematic
5/5
Full points here. Everything absolutely follows the guidelines and I feel like this actually could have happened.

Interaction
4/5
I might just be misunderstanding Astral Projection, but to me it feels like something you can just keep spamming from the safety of the gate, and continuously throw it at the enemy fort, and there’d be almost nothing for the enemy team to stop you from doing this. Maybe I’m missing some sort of maximum range that the clone could be from the original? If not, that would solve the issue.

Additional Feedback
Besides what I’ve already listed up above, I feel like this is a strong concept. Starwatcher’s Night looks like it would be especially fun to try out. I’ll look forward to seeing where this one goes.

1 Like

Thanks for the review, Kyyteo. I just wanted to clarify something which should tackle some of the feedback. For the trait, Astral Projection, the distance set upon cast is locked forever. The clone will always remain that distance away from Tichondrius. The maximum and minimum distance, as well as the direction the clone can be, is all set in stone upon cast. It’s almost as if the clone is a mirror image of Tichondrius. I’ll clarify this in the trait and description.

I do want to clarify that the lightforged Nathrazim is a light redeemed version of a dreadlord. Mine would be blessed by the titans, looking far more like Alganon; they are two separate cosmic forces. Just wanted to make sure that was clear. :sweat_smile:

I’ll make sure to chip the sustain of Tichondrius and especially focus on evasion as opposed to defenses. I was primarily attempting to keep the character in line balance-wise, but I’ll see what I can do.

Total Score - 18/20

Creativity - 5/5
The base kit here is really interesting. Astral Projection is an interesting way to play with range and positioning for a mid-range mage, Alignment is a simple but effective primary damage tool for that mid-range mage, Spatial Warp is a simple mobility tool with a unique sub-effect that increases Tichondrius’ utility and damage, and Celestial Shroud is a great callback to traditional Dreadlord abilities with a unique spin that works well for your playstyle. Starwatcher’s Night is a very unique and interesting heroic, while Mastermind is kind of weird but very interesting. I’d say the base kit is very solid on Creativity; despite having a couple of bland elements, it’s inventive overall with a unique playstyle.

The talents live up to the creativity of the base kit, with lots of unique interactions and spins on abilities already in the base kit and a variety of odd tools that fit into the playstyle perfectly. Guardian Orbit and Black Hole add entirely new facets to existing abilities that change how Tichondrius uses his abilities, and the illusion aspect of Starlight Falsity (and a couple of similar talents) is very unique and interesting. That being said, some talents are more on the simple side, like Beguiling Asterism and Eyes of the Dunes. These simpler talents aren’t cardinal sins, though, and still work to the hero’s playstyle overall.

Cohesiveness - 4/5
Tichondrius’s base kit identity flows together really well and is quite cohesive. I think I said enough under Creativity about how well the basic abilities and trait flow into the playstyle, so I won’t continue it here. I think that Starwatcher’s Night also flows well into the playstyle, offering an altered version that is more defensive, slow, and predictive temporarily in a fight. I’m less sold on Mastermind, however; the individual elements all work into Tichondrius’s playstyle, but it seems like a general headache for the Tichondrius player to deal with and I’m not sure that it truly feels like a heroic. It might work better as a level 20 active talent, but having several new pseudo-abilities to contend with on a character with a spammable Q who is very focused on spacing and even mindgaming with his trait and talents feels like it’s pushing it.

As for talents, Tichondrius has a couple of good synergies and paths. Basic attack Tichondrius and Alignment Tichondrius are both well-realized talent paths, but feel dangerously close to being railroaded; I think they barely escape this because of gaps and some talents that technically fit the themes but don’t feel necessary for the build (specifically Intergalactic Void and Guardian Orbit). I’m also seeing a decent synergy build between Astral Projection and Spatial Warp, but not much else; I think a few too many of Tichondrius’s talents outside of the three builds I’ve mentioned have no real synergy or build identity. I see Tier 6 is support themed but Tichondrius has no other talent options to be supportive to his teammates, and Celestial Shroud provides some sustain baseline that isn’t really expanded upon in a build through talents. All that being said, I feel that these talent complaints are getting into the realm of nit picking and overly idealized potential; your talents aren’t perfect but they are really strong. As a final and kind of unrelated comment, the duration of Reach of the Titans feels almost pointless - it has a 2 second duration and Tichondrius has a 3 second cooldown ability. I’d like to see either this talent or Alignment tuned to address the near-100% uptime of the talent, but this concern will have no score penalty.

I think some potential build paths fall short and Mastermind is a little out of place, but the kit is really strong in cohesion otherwise. I’m very torn between giving this a perfect score or just short of a perfect score, but I think my complaints just barely build up to a point off.

Thematic - 5/5
I consider this concept to fit the contest theme perfectly, as a redemption of a traditionally evil character, and all of your abilities and talents both match the new astral style and a traditional Nathrezim identity. I don’t have much to say here since you nailed it.

Interaction - 4/5
Starting with the base kit, Spatial Warp’s Armor shred is concerningly good. I think that 20 Spell Armor loss is too high and makes enemies too fragile, especially since the compelled movement to get their soul back could mean certain death. This ultimately boils down to a number complaint though, as I’d probably say it’s fine at 10 Armor shred. Astral Projection could be concerning, but any obnoxiousness or power that it could have is offset by its cooldown and Tichondrius’s lack of durability. Mastermind also comes back as something concerning, because the additional pseudo-abilties will confuse Tichondrius’s enemies at least as much as the player themself. Lastly, if Alignment doesn’t have any kind of channel or windup that stops Tichondrius from acting, Starwatcher’s Night gives him insta-kill potential with high enough APM; that being said, it’s a ridiculous thing that I’m assuming isn’t a possibility and just mentioned to be thorough on my thoughts.

Talents also bring a couple more concerns. Starlight Falsity is very interesting and thematic but it can just be confusing and frustrating for enemies to see; Infinite Stars takes this to the next level with obscene effect clutter that can make the game a headache to understand for both allies and enemies. The handful of Stealth options in Black Hole, Norgannon’s Foresight, and Occultation can also make Tichondrius frustratingly slippery. Lastly, Three Steps Ahead just ramps the possible confusion of Mastermind with more uses and another set of effects that Tichondrius and his enemies have to keep tabs on.

I’d say that besides the one number complaint, these Interaction concerns just tend toward confusion and effect clutter with some abilities, and aren’t a grim mark that would make Tichondrius an awful character to play against or with - rather, he’d just be kind of frustrating. Overall I think these justify a minor penalty.

1 Like

Thanks for the review, Nortin. I fixed the concept up already but I figured I might as well respond officially.

I changed up Beguiling Asterism because I wasn’t a fan of it, but left Eyes of the Dunes as was. I replaced the first heroic (R.I.P. Mastermind) with a new one, and added some wording to Starwatcher’s Night to remove the change to spam an ability infinite times to kill someone. I could increase this number a lil more if needed; it’d need testing. I took a swing at some of the more confusing illusion effects but wanted to keep a decent amount in, as it is pretty core to not only Tichondrius but the idea of an elusive manipulator of the cosmos. I’ll see what I can do for establishing some of the talent builds more outside AA and Alignment.

I also wanted to mention that I didn’t focus too much on sustain in his talents for a couple of reasons. Primarily, I wanted to limit his long term sustain and survivability as to make him more of an assassin, less of a bruiser. Secondly, there would be a strong possibility that any sustain talent would become unporpotionally weighted because me might really need it in a long fight. I made his Tier 2 unique survivability options to try to give him some unique ways to mitigate damage while not directly healing him.

As for Interaction, I brought the armor shred to 15. While it can be quite powerful, it will be very hard to get to a position where you can bring the soul to an unsafe place unless you put yourself into a bad spot first, or grab the new heroic. I tried to reduce the illusion effects a bit and took some swings and his more defensive options, but left it mostly as was.

Overall Score

Category Rating
Creativity 5/5
Cohesiveness 5/5
Thematic 5/5
Interaction 5/5
Overall 20/20

Creativity

5/5

Starting off, taking an entirely different route than what might be expected with a Nathrezim redemption by instead changing the Titan who finds them is quite an interesting choice. The abilities continue this interesting and somewhat unexpected route, working together to form a creative and different playstyle. The new heroic, Cosmic Intercession, definitely slides right into that creative groove, and so do the talents, with a number of different, interesting effects. The added Week 3 fluff is also good; The Frost Revenant theme to the primary skin is quite nice, and definitely helps make up for the rather staple “Diablo Angel” skin people seem to enjoy adding to characters.

Cohesiveness

5/5

Overall, Cohesion is quite well done; I can’t really pinpoint anything that feels like a large outlier from the intended playstyle. This really does come together quite well as this mid-range, somewhat mindgames-y assassin with an elusive fighting style. Well done overall.

Thematic

5/5

Where do I even start here. The kit and aesthetic match the altered origin well. The abilities fit what one might expect from a Nathrezim, while also fitting this altered origin. Their altered origin just feels nice, with this interesting thematic parallel to Sargeras recruiting the Eredar, intentional or not. All of it overall just feels like it works well.

Interaction

5/5

After combing through everything a couple of times, nothing felt bad enough to warrant an entire point off, except perhaps Beguiling Asterism on Tier 2. Given it was my only balance concern, however, I’m not going to go too harshly here. As for Beguiling Asterism; It feels like it’s placed a little too early in the tree. With the right playing and good reflexes on switching control between the two copies, it seems like it’d be easy to almost always get it off, almost like it was a 20% health shield in optimal scenarios. I think the talent would probably fit better at Tier 6, or if you wanted to push it, maybe Tier 5.

Additional Feedback

Cosmic Intercession’s final form feels a little too similar to RIP-Tire except it teleports the RIP-Tire and Tichondrius is also the RIP-Tire. This didn’t result in any points loss but it might in the future.

For anyone who doesn’t know what the hell I’m talking about, don’t worry, it’s a joke, and you don’t need to understand.

1 Like

Bliztron - 97/100

Creativity: 10/10
Cohesiveness: 10/10
Thematic: 10/10
Interaction: 9/10

(+2 Thoughtfulness, +1 Game Fluidity)