CDC #12 Urzael, the Redeemed Reaper

My Submission for the 12th CDC. Urzael, Ranged Tank

Urzael, Redeemed Reaper

Class: Ranged Tank

HP: 2,763(+4% per level), Regen: 5.31 (+4% per level)

Mana: 500 (+10 per level), Regen: 3.17 (+0.12 per level)

APS: .75 per second – Ranged. Damage: 147 (+4% per level) Urzael Fires cannon balls from his cannon to attack

Damage: 5/10, Decent damage but many of his attacks are skill shots or dodgeable AoEs.

Utility: 6/10, Fairly Versatile but nothing extrodinary.

Survivability: 8.5/10, Fairly high HP, can get natural Armor, some self sustain, and more can be talented in, and some escapes.

Complexity: 9/10, Fairly complex due to the nature of having to keep up stacks of Enraged Protector, timing your attacks to mesh with his trait, and deciding just how much you want to sacrifice for your team. You can go all the way but should you…

Strengths: The longer he fights the tougher he becomes by building up armor, shields, and some life regaining. He can disrupt enemy lines, and is good at protecting his allies.

Weakness: slow attack speed and many skill shot style attacks, weak to poke in general, is initially weak to highly mobile heroes like Tracer, and very burst heavy heroes like Nova or Zeratul.

Urzael, having witnessed some of the worst humanity had to offer began to foment a deep hatred for mankind, just as his master Malthael had. He began thinking that everyone would be better off if mankind’s evil was wiped from the face of the earth. Then, one day he came across some wandering Monks, who offered healing, food, and comfort to any who needed it without asking for anything in return. They even defended the weak if needed. He spent many days with them, talking, learning, watching. He realized that Mankind CAN be capable of great goodness as well, and so forsook his Master Malthaels ways, opting instead to fight for those who could not fight for themselves, and defend the goodness in mankind. There was evil within man… but there was also hope. Hope for a goodness that was there as well. One just had to keep the darkness at bay long enough to help them see it.

Urzael is a fairly mobile ranged Tank who leaps about the field disrupting enemy lines and protecting his allies with shields and small amounts of healing, and even by sacrificing his own well being to save his allies. His trait grows in power as he fights allowing him to become a truly frightening foe, and one that is hard to take down if he can maintain the buff. With a powerful survivability trait his new love for humanity can cause him to sacrifice some of his own power to help his allies survive, sharing out the armor and life gain he has so everyone is a little more powerful. But be careful not to spread yourself to thin lest you find yourself laying dead while your allies continue the fight without you.

Trait: Enraged Protector –Passive.

Passive – Every 2 seconds spent Actively engaged in combat (taking or dealing damage) Urzael gains a stack of Enraged Protector, granting him 5 Armor and causing all his abilities and attacks to heal him for .5% of his maximum health per stack, stacking up to 5 times. Not getting hit or hitting an enemy for 3 seconds resets the timer.

Following the Torment difficulty trait of enraging after several minutes i thought this would provide a unique and fun reason for him to stay engaged in battle to protect the innocent. this ability affects his entire skill line, beefing up other skills if he can maintain it. I did tweak it a bit to better fit this Genre, i think as a 4 minute wait would be kinda to long. And bringing it out in small stages allows him to ramp up power and get more powerful throughout a fight bringing more sustain to bear.

Q: Breath of Holy Fire – Turnable Channeled skill, 13 second CD, 9 mana per second.

Urzael Channels his Cannon and spews forth Holy flames in a line in front of him. He can turn slowly while channeling this ability. It deals low-moderate damage per second an enemy is inside the flame.
While Enraged Urzael heals for .2% of his Maximum health per second, per enemy hit, per stack of Enraged Protector. He also gains .5 seconds of Unstoppable per stack of Enraged Protector.

(This ability gives Urzael some sustained damage as he can channel it for as long as he has mana. Great for clumped up enemies, choke points, or any situation where he can make use of a good channel. Not good for poke damage really though because the CD doesn’t start until the channel ends and 13 seconds is a long time to wait if you mess up. The added sustain while enraged will help him stay channeling longer and the occasional Unstoppable duration will help him shrug of stuns so he can get some use out of it before Muradin hammers his face. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

W: Sinners Shot9 sec CD, 30 Mana, Skillshot.

Urzael leaps and slams his cannon onto the first enemy he comes into contact with, loading them into his cannon. He then fires them at a nearby enemy preferring heroes, dealing moderate fire damage to the launched enemy and light damage to any enemies in the launched enemies path.
While Enraged The launched enemy and the enemy they hit are stunned on impact for .15 seconds per stack of Enraged Protector

(This ability gives Urzael the ability to peel for allies, give him some distance if he needs to run, or just disrupt the enemy lines. Being enraged gives him a little bit of CC to it as well.)

E: Blazing Leap9 sec CD, 25 Mana, Ground Targeted AoE.

Urzael Prepares to leap. After a .5 sec channel time he uses his cannon to blast off, dealing moderate fire damage in an AoE both at his launch point and his landing point. Landing on an ally grants them Protected status and Urzael Protector status. Urzael then takes the next instance of damage they would otherwise take. (leaps a medium distance)
While Enraged This ability leaves a pool of flames at his launch location that last for 3 seconds, and grants nearby allies a shield equal to 5% of his maximum health at his landing location that lasts for 3 seconds.

(This will give Urzael an escape or engage if he needs. It will also deal moderate damage to nearby enemies at his landing point and his launch point. While not a peel per se, it does protect allies through a unique twist to the “Protected” status, allowing Urzael to follow through on the sacrificial protector theme i am going for.)

R1: Ceiling Shot – _5 Charges, 15 sec CD after Firing any charges.

Urzael, Gains 1 charge for every 300 HP he loses. He will fire all stored charges at once, the shots will cause debris (one per charge spent) to fall in a large area around Urzael, prioritizing Heroes. Enemies will see where the Debris will land .75 seconds before it falls. Enemies hit are dealt a large amount of damage. Debris blocks pathing for 2 seconds
While Enraged The size of the Debris is increased by 10% for each stack of Enraged Protector. While at full stacks of Enraged Protector he will gain 1 charge every 5 seconds.

(His damage Ult and my favorite of his abilities in D3, It again plays into his trait of wanting to stay engaged in combat as much as possible so he can have his trait up and so he can build up charges. It does have some randomness to it but it will be a good zoning tool and can deal quite a bit of damage to clumped up enemy teams, especially if they are CC’d by something like ETC’s Mosh Pit. It will also block pathing creating a maze of sorts enemies must maneuver through to flee or get to Urzael and his allies.)

R2) Protectors Sacrifice40 Mana, 70 Sec CD, Self Targeted.

Urzael Activates his heavenly shield for 8 seconds. Every time Urzael is dealt damage nearby allies are granted a shield for 10% of the damage dealt. Urzael gains a shield when the duration ends equal to 50% the damage taken during Protectors Sacrifice. If Urzael dies during Protectors Sacrifice all nearby allies are granted 60% of their Maximum life in shields decaying to 0 over 6 seconds. Shields last for 6 seconds or until destroyed.
While Enraged Allies shields are increased by 5% and Urzaels ending Shield is increased by 5% for each stack of Enraged Protector.

(This ability allows him to play a self sacrificing role, giving him another reason to run into the fray to protect his allies. By jumping in front of allies to sacrifice himself he gives them shields. If, by chance he survives, the heavens reward him with a shield of his own. If he falls the Heavens reward his sacrifice and protect his allies for a short while.)

Talent Tiers:

First Tier – Level 1

QRoar of Heaven – Enemies hit are slowed by 2% for each .5 seconds they are in Breath of Holy Fire, stacking up to 10 times. Enemies at 10 stacks are silenced for 2 seconds.

QFiery Shield – Urzael and any Allies caught in the fire gain a fiery shield equal to 2% of their maximum health per second they are in the fire stacking up to 5 times and lasting for 4 seconds.

W - Penitent Canoneer – Urzael and nearby allies gain a shield equal to 1% of his maximum health for each enemy hit by the launched enemy.

ELeaping Defender – If Urzael lands on an ally he takes 50% of the damage directed at them for 3 seconds.

Second Tier – Level 4

QBlinding Wrath – Enemies caught in the blast are blinded while in the fire stream.

E - Leap to the Rescue – The CD of Blazing leap is increased by 2 seconds but Urzael now heals for 10% of his Maximum health on launch and on landing he shields nearby allies for 10% of his Current health.

Trait - Guardians Fury – Urzael stuns enemies hit by his basic attacks once every 15 attacks. Number of attacks needed to proc stun is reduced by 2 for each stack of Enraged Protector.

Tier 3 – Level 7

Q - _Sacrificial Pyre - Urzael Sacrifices 10% of his current HP and ignites the area around him while he channels Breath of holy fire. Enemies in a medium radius are deal light damage every second and nearby allies are cleansed of CC during the initial burst and immune to it for .75 seconds. (Activate trait to toggle ability on and off.)

EJuggernaughts landing – Increase armor by 15 for 3 seconds and become unstoppable for 1.5 seconds on landing

WSave The Innocent – Urzael can use the 1 key to use his Sinners Shot on an Ally, allies are in the cannon for 1 second before being fired. While the Ally is in the Cannon they are immune but Urzael can be hit by what was chasing them (like a Pyroblast). Urzael launches allies away from any nearby enemies. If Urzael dies while an ally is in his cannon they are fired to the Hall of Storms.

W - Grapple with Evil – Urzael can reactivate Sinners Shot after launching an enemy to pull himself to their landing location.

Tier 4 – Level 10

R1Ceiling Shot

R2Protectors Sacrifice

Tier 5 – Level 13

Trait - Armor of the Guardian – Increases Enrages armor bonus by 1 per stack, Life Regeneration by 4 per stack, and he takes 1% of the damage that would otherwise be dealt to allied heroes per stack of Enraged Protector.

ESinners Leap – If Urzael lands on an enemy they are loaded into his cannon and fired towards his launch area dealing damage to enemies in the way. Targets nearest enemy to Urzael.

QBreath of Redemption – When an ally near Urzael has a lower health percentage then he does Breath of Holy Fire’s damage is increased by 15% and he can use it to heal any allies with a lower percentage health than himself equal to 15% of the damage of Breath of Holy Fire.

Tier 6 – Level 16

Trait - Share the Protection – Nearby allies gain 1 armor and are healed for .1% of the damage they deal for each stack of Enraged Protector Urzael has. Urzael loses 5 armor and .5% from his own bonuses if any allies are under the effects of share the protection.

(Clarification: This would bring his Enraged Protector’s fully stacked armor from 25 to 20 and healing from 2.5% to 2% if shared with his allies.)

WSinners Chains – Enemies hit by the launched enemy are chained to the launched enemy and dragged along with them being dealt light damage.

EBring to Heel – Urzael chains the closest nearby enemy to himself as he leaps, towing them along with him. They are dealt both launch and landing damage.

Tier 7 Level 20

R1) The Roof is on FIRE – The debris that falls is aflame lighting enemies on fire for 2% of their maximum hp per second for 5 seconds.

R2) Even My Life – Allies are healed equal to 5% of the damage taken by Urzael during Protectors Sacrifice and if Urzael dies during Protectors Sacrifice they are also healed for 10% of their Maximum life.

Trait - Guardian Angel – While Urzael is Enraged he and nearby friendly heroes gain a shield equal to 10% of Urzaels Maximum HP. The shield lasts until destroyed and regenerates once every 15 seconds.

Non Ability SpecificRedeemed Angel – Urzael finds Redemption. All shields he creates are increased by 100% and he passively generates 50 points of shield every 4 seconds to nearby allies, up to 250 points of shielding. Shields last for 3 seconds when outside of Urzaels shield radius.
The passive shield is not affected by the 100% increase to shields and is added into other shields whether he makes them or not, so they won’t gain any shields from it if they are at or over 250 points of shielding from any source.

Skins:

Starting Skin - Redeemed Angel - Much like his Diablo 3 skin but give him glowing golden chains bandoleer style across his chest and as a belt. turn all his orange and red into golds and whites to fit the angelic theming. His Cannon has also transformed into a Gold and white cannon with blue crystals on it and forming a floating ring around the mouth. Inside his hood one can see a blue Crystal Face, as he feels he cannot show his true face to anyone until he has truly redeemed himself through much sacrifice.

Mech Skin - Urza’el himself is an human determined to beat back the evil invading his homeland. Originally a bitter artist turned unwilling street thug in the service to his Step Father and crime lord Mal Thay’el, he often spent his time wandering around, resenting other people for being so evil to everyone and everything, never finding any beauty in the world. Until he was taken in by a group of Monks who found him beaten to a pulp from a rival gang. After they healed him they taught him to find inner peace and forgiveness. Soon after, their home was attacked by a Kaijo, and several of the monks perished, two of whom died defending Urza’el from the Kaijo’s fiery assault. But Mecha Tyrael showed up and drove the monster away. From then on Urza’el wanted to be a Mech pilot and save others the way the Monks saved him. So he joined the defense force and became a skilled pilot, even inventing his own mech that focused more on defending than powerful offensive attacks. He WILL save his world and protect the innocent.

Voice Lines:

1. I must protect the innocent!
  2. Sinners will be punished for their evil against the innocent.
  3. I won’t let you harm them anymore.
  4. I’m coming for you Malthael!
  5. Every innocent life saved is another step towards redemption.

To Hanzo - I sense in you… a kindred spirit. you too seek something.
In response to Hanzo - I seek, Redemption… a distant reward for the many sins i have commited.

1 Like

Week 1 Judgement

Urzael, The Redeemed Reaper

Category Rating
Creativity 4/5
Cohesiveness 2/5
Thematic 2/5
Interaction 3/5
Overall 12/20

Creativity
4/5
I love the Diablo Universe more than most people, and I love how you gave attention to one of the hottest angels out there. My only issue creativity wise is the Redeemed Maiden ult, just feels like another kinda bland summon.

Cohesiveness
2/5
I docked you some major points here because he does not feel at all so far like a bruiser that you were going for. I do not feel that his Enrage Timer passive give ample enough sustain to contend with other bruisers, including his boss Malthael. Some self-healing or shielding that he can consistently use would make him feel more like a bruiser.

Thematic
2/5
I feel like the theme of this CDC wasn’t really followed here as there are no significant changes were made to his normal build to justify it being as “redeemed” I mean otherwise we might as well just throw regular Urzael up here.

Interaction
3/5
While the Breath of Holy Fire ability is fantastic, and I love you can dump his entire mana pool into it, I feel like He’s too easily countered. While his abilities are indeed thematic, I feel like in their current state they don’t fit super well together.

Additional Feedback
Don’t be afraid to give your own spin on some of the abilities and make them do additional stuff to better suit his role or give him stuff that he’s lacking. For example, you could make it so while he’s enraged, Fiery swing will give a shield based on how many units he hits.

ty for the feedback. i shall use it to further his build. i was planning on doing many of the things you pointed out in his talent tree but i can see your point about the redeemed part… tiem to plan some more :slight_smile:

Made some tweaks some pretty big changes, like now being a tank instead of a bruiser to better fit his redeemed arc of protecting the innocent. Added in the talent trees, and some other things. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Total Score - 12/20

Creativity - 3/5
Your base kit is fine from a Creativity perspective. A lot of it is aggressively Urzael, with some neat innovation in Sinners Shot. Enraged Protector is a decently interesting mechanic to build a character around, though I have some problems I’ll address later. I don’t have much more to say about the base kit because like I said, it just feels Urzael (which is mostly fine here, but watch out in Thematic).

Talents feel kind of like a mixed bag, but overall trending toward negative. Talents like Roar of Heaven, Quick to Anger, and Simmering Anger are very bland but kind of work. Grapple with Evil and Sinners Chains are pretty interesting, and I appreciate their effects. However, Stunning Leap and the first half of Advancing Flames’s effects are just Enrage effects made baseline, which I consider to be pretty weak Creativity-wise and not fitting for the concept. Talents like Fiery Shield and Breath of Redemption are much stronger in terms of Creativity though, and I’d generally like to see more of them.

Overall, I would go moderately high on the base kit alone… but so many talents are basic number changes or baselining Enrage effects, which drops this down to an average score. Adding some more interesting conditions on talents or some more unique effects that add to Urzael’s playstyle would definitely earn more points here.

Cohesiveness - 3/5
Starting off, I’d like to get the good parts of the base kit for this section out of the way: Breath of Holy Fire, Sinners Shot, and Blazing Leap all do a great job of creating Urzael’s playstyle identity as a ranged tank, with ranged pressure, a peel, an engage tool, and a way to set up kills for his team. Ceiling Shot is kind of damage focused, but I can justify it on a tank since it provides wide-spread zoning/disruption. Wrath of the Redeemed feels too aggressive as a tank heroic, though; it feels like it belongs on a Bruiser or Assassin instead. My biggest problem with the kit, though, is Enraged Protector. It’s really easy for Urzael to apply himself, and gets activated for free if the enemies touch his teammates, so it can easily have 100% uptime without any talents. This does a lot of damage to his identity as a tank who ramps up through the fight, since he can get Enraged right away and keep it up easily, unleashing his Armor boost and many ability upgrades for the entire fight.

The talents have more problems in this department. Some talents cement Urzael’s support capabilities, and some make him better at clumping and engaging on his enemies with Sinners Shot; these identities and synergies work pretty well. However, as mentioned in Creativity, a few talents just seem to baseline Enrage effects, and when combined with how Enrage can easily have 100% uptime, these talents feel useless. Similarly, Quick to Anger and Simmering Anger feel less worth picking because of how easy it is to Enrage. Besides these talents, synergy is decent but a little lacking between talents.

Overall, the ease of activating and maintaining Enraged Protector hurts the cohesion of both the base kit and many talents. Also, regardless of how easy it is to Enrage, talents that baseline Enrage effects are generally bad since they take away from Enraged Protector’s identity and purpose. The talent builds and synergy outside of these builds is decent, but could use work. I think this leaves the concept’s Cohesiveness just about average.

Thematic - 2/5
Thematically, this kit feels very on point for Urzael… which is kind of a problem, considering the contest theme. I think it would be great for your theme if Urzael only Enraged when his allies are hurt, and not when he fights; additionally, Enraged Protector could have multiple stages to cement the Cohesiveness element of Urzael powering up as fights go on. I think it’d also be good to baseline some supportive elements of Breath of Holy Fire, as well as add more supportive elements to his base kit in general. Ceiling Shot can stick for its iconic-ness, but I would like to see Wrath of the Redeemed replaced with a more supportive heroic ability. He feels much more like he’s punishing his enemies than protecting his teammates, and only a few talents work counter to this.

To summarize, a redeemed and protective Urzael works for the contest theme, but your current Urzael feels too much like his original incarnation. Retooling his kit to be a supportive tank instead of an aggressive/disruptive tank would do a lot to fix this theme problem.

Interaction - 4/5
I’m fairly concerned about Urzael’s power level for multiple reasons. First, Sinners Shot is a concerningly good displacement tool; it makes me think of Garrosh’s Wrecking Ball, but with up to 1.5 seconds of Stasis on the front and much more control over who you grab. Also, Urzael’s general power level is much higher during Enraged Protector, which could work if it was hard to be Enraged, but as I’ve gone over in Cohesiveness, Urzael has very few problems being Enraged; basically, he’s strong when Enraged and will probably always be Enraged, which could make him OP. Lastly, Leap from the Heavens basically upgrades Urzael’s jump into ETC’s Stage Dive w/ its Storm Talent upgrade, at level 16 instead of 20. This particular talent just feels really overtuned and I’d like to see it gone.

In summation, Enraged Protector being so easy to maintain increases Urzael’s overall power level, Sinners Shot is pretty strong and probably better than Wrecking Ball, and the Leap from the Heavens talent is concerningly good. I think these things aren’t too bad individually, but together justify a minor penalty.

1 Like

Overall Score

Category Rating
Creativity 4/5
Cohesiveness 4/5
Thematic 3/5
Interaction 4/5
Overall 15/20

Creativity

4/5

Urzael’s base kit is fairly creative, besides his [Q], which keeps relatively even with its Enraged effect to keep interesting enough, and his [E], which is not so fortunate, as it really lacks much here. His talents are also fairly interesting, outside of a few exceptions. Notably, Urzael’s first three [E] talents are also fairly mediocre here, along with Penitent Cannoneer, Blinding Wrath, and Advancing Flames, ish. With a solid skin and redemption story, this score rounds out to a solid 4 overall, I’d say.

Cohesiveness

4/5

Urzael’s kit works together to form a very coherent identity. The problem with that coherent identity is that it’s more of a Chonky Bruiser, rather than a Supportive Tank; Urzael lacks much of any solid peel or crowd controling options besides his [W], and with a partial damage dealing focus on every other ability except his second heroic, it feels like it doesn’t quite land on the intended mark. His talents feel cohesive with one another and both his intended and apparent playstyles, however, which keeps this score fairly decent.

Thematic

3/5

With a really solid fluff coverage for the contest theme, and Urzael feeling like Urzael, it almost works, except for his identity really feeling like normal, un-redeemed Urzael instead of Redeemed Urzael. Well, except his second heroic. That definitely feels more in line with what the idea of the kit seems to be, and his [W] works on both fronts. I think this kit could use a bit more of a shove towards Supportive Tank to really get it to feel like it’s actually redeemed Urzael.

Interaction

4/5

I have some moderate concerns here and there; To start, his base kit does feel fine overall, but there are a few problematic talents. Share the Protection just feels a little subpar; I get trying to split it between multiple heroes, but I think making it so instead of everyone receving 20% of the effect, going down to more like 50% for everyone might make it a better talent. Sinner’s Leap gives Urzael an engage with a possible added free pick if you hit the right enemy target, which could be incredibly frustrating; I like the talent, I just think it might be too problematic anywhere besides 20 to make it work in a reasonable way. Lastly, Bring to Heel latching onto the lowest percentage enemy hero just gives him another way to drag an enemy into his team to royally screw them, or to just get an unavoidable kill secure, depending on the distance of the chain. I think making it hit higher health heroes might help both his supportive intended identity and make it feel more interactive.

Additional Feedback

Nothing else to add.

Ty both for the feedback. Sorry i wasn’t able to reply before, it’s been so crazy here so i forgot when i made the changes but i do appreciate your constructive criticism. I’ve made several changes that i hope fit his theme and increase his role and fun. I might make a few more tweaks over the week if i think of anything better, but i got 4 tests and a midterm so my free time is sparse. Lol. Ty again.

Legendairy - 74/100

Creativity: 9/10
Cohesiveness: 9/10
Thematic: 7/10
Interaction: 7/10

(+2 Thoughtfulness, +1 Game Fluidity)