Solution (work arounds) for "Game freezes at “logging into Diablo IV” after waiting in queue or at Blizzard logo"

I decided to make a new post as the original post was already over 160 replies, the following worked around helped some people and was getting lost in the discussion (Original post: Game freezes at "logging into Diablo IV" after waiting in queue).

This is probably the oddest thing I’ve ever seen, and I have no idea why , but it has to do with the speed of your SSD (Actually it could be related to DirectStorage (Option 4)). If you have a very fast NVME SSD (probably 5000mb/s or more) the game crashes every time at “logging into Diablo IV” after waiting in queue or at Blizzard logo (if you don’t skip it (you can skip it by double clicking when it starts)).

Some work arounds that I found:
1- Install on a slower SSD, preferably SATA, however, I have a 970 Evo and it worked.
2- On my faster SSD the solution was: Run a benchmark on CrystalDiskMark, click to Open the game, and the game will open normally. (Remember to switch in the CrystalDiskMark options to NVMe SSD, or it will not work), no need to wait for the benchmark to finish, when the game opens you can already stop it. You have to do this every time you want to login. (It doesn’t need to be CrystalDiskMark, you can run any benchmarker on the SSD, like Samsung Magician for Samsung SSD’s).
3- Some people here in the forum reported that putting it on an external HD/SSD also works (which makes sense because of the lower speed).
4- Renaming the dstorage.dll which is responsable for direct storage (please, don’t delete the .dll, just rename for something else). (Found by Toom: [Main Thread] PC - Game Client Freezes at "Logging into Diablo IV" When Launched on Certain NVMe Drives - #246 by Toom-1290) - I have tested, and it works. (Please remember to rename back the file when an official patch comes out).

Option 2 worked every time for me, probably it should work on a HDD too, but I didn’t have the patience to wait for such a slow installation.

Option 4 seems to be a definitive fix for now.

Ps.: For Option 2, unfortunately this can vary depending on your SSD, some people have experienced crashes in multiple parts… running the benchmark before the game accesses these parts seems to have “”““resolved””“” the crashes.

I’ve the latests NVIDIA drivers, I tried that too, and with more than one old version, its not driver related, it appears to be a server problem.

Some update on it: [Main Thread] PC - Game Client Freezes at "Logging into Diablo IV" When Launched on Certain NVMe Drives - #134 by Drakuloth

Last update:

A hotfix looks like fixed the issue. Thanks for everyone involved.

Anyway, hope it help you too.

10 Likes

Even though I didn’t have any issue logging in, it’s great to see someone trying to help others enjoy a product that they’ve no doubt been looking forward to. Kudos to you for your time, willingness, and effort.

1 Like

This works and should be put to the top resolutions, thank you

1 Like

I am also having this issue so +1 on this

1 Like

Wow… how is a game in 2023 not able to run correctly off of an SSD.

Mine kept freezing on the splash screens and locking up when loaded on my Samsung 980. Copied the installation directory to my spinning HDD and pointed the game settings to that folder. Loaded up fine with no problems.

Seriously. The game doesn’t work right because it loads too fast. You gotta be kidding me.

5 Likes

I just refunded as there is no point in paying for garbage that doesn’t work

5 Likes

The only thing that worked for me was moving from my NVMe SSD to my SATA SSD. Both Samsung.

1 Like

I can’t help buy wonder if NVME SSDs are the common problem. My SSD is NVME as well and it wouldn’t load.

Like I said above. I would have never guessed being “too fast” would cause problems for a game from a major developer. Like… what sort of systems are they testing on that don’t have NVME drives in this day and age.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I have the game on a kingston fury renegade pcie m.2, and the game freezes at login screen. Running AS SSD benchmark fixed the problem lol.

1 Like

WOW!!! I had no issues in the betas or the server slam weekend. However, upon early release day my computer would lock up at the logging into server screen. I had the game installed on a WD Black 2TB SSD NVME… a very fast newer generation SSD. I subsequently tried disabling caching and it failed work. I copied the game files to an external USB-C SSD drive and the game works. I can log in and play now… Lost the opening day of game play. Clearly something is amiss in the release version vs. the server slam version. KUDOs to you Mendoza for helping.

1 Like

I felt compelled to reply. THIS works. Like many people I legit tried EVERYTHING! Please save yourself time and headache and switch to a SATA SSD. I went to best buy and bought a SATA 870 Samsung 1TB and it worked immediately! Buy the 500MB one it’s like $50 and you get some more storage for your computer. The original author of this thread saved me so much heartache because I wanted to play this game so bad.

1 Like

Yeah if only I had one of those laying around. I only have my 2TB NVME so I guess im screwed. I will try the “Benchmark Fix” when I get off from work.

1 Like

Right. I feel like “Go Buy another drive”, especially when it’s an arguably worse drive, for a game that costs between $70-$100 isn’t really a solution to the problem.

3 Likes

Yeah, Blizzard REALLY needs to fix this. Hell, it works just fine on my PS5, which uses really fast SSD’s so I don’t even know what the problem is.

1 Like

I didn’t either, I went and bought one. You’re buying more storage for your Pc either way so it isn’t wasted money in the end anyways. I spent like 5 hours trying to troubleshoot this issue. 5 hours of my time is worth much more then a small price for another SSD

1 Like

Kudos to you I guess. But im not spending 100+ dollars to fix blizzards problem. I find that absurd in every way imaginable no offense.

1 Like

TYVM the benchmark hack worked for me!!! but WHY is this happening??? I was able to play this game yesterday at launch with no problems, but today …

1 Like

Thanks for this. Finally able to log in, get thru character select, and actually play this game. I couldn’t get it to work w/ the crystaldiskmark trick but it worked flawlessly after installing D4 on an old sata ssd i had laying around

1 Like

I tried step 4 and it immediately worked for me!

1 Like

No idea what they did, but I just switched back to my NVME after this latest 1.0.2.c patch and no crashes on startup from my NVME drive… and such fast loading :slight_smile:

Glad I only copied to my HDD and left the original folder on my NVME drive.

3 Likes