[Main Thread] PC - Game Client Freezes at "Logging into Diablo IV" When Launched on Certain NVMe Drives

all betas worked for me no problem but as of launch nope cant do it hate that I spent money for a crash sim

The the only thing that has worked consistently for me is deleting the Diablo4 from my documents folder. All it has is the localprefs.txt. What happens is after it timesout, instead of crashing - it reconnects, i think have to go through brightness settings, etc but can connect. Worked at least 6 times today. I am East Coast, was working all last night, woke up early this morning and been broke since other than this fix

thank you for the update

Another departure, and does not enter the game

Yup, only fix i’ve found for the moment is deleting the prefs.txt, has worked the 2/2 times i’ve tried it.

I made this post sometime ago because the work around was being lost in multiple discussions:

Posting here to link it too.

Hope it helps you too.

is there any reason this has not been fixed yet? someone at blizzard needs to let the public know here.

1 Like

wheres this located at in the files

So far this has worked for me, beta and alpha worked fine

To fix this problem for the time being go into the diablo IV directory and rename dstorage.dll to dstorage.dllbackup and the problem will go away.

I don’t recommend deleting the .dll file as once an offical patch is put out you may need / want too put it back.

All I know is by doing this it 100% fix the logging in / initial loading issues I had and allowed me to move the game back to my must faster nvme drive.

Must have something to do with directstorage and very fast drives. Maybe the game is just loading too fast on startup / logging in and its breaking something with Diablo IVs multithreading.

6 Likes

I was unable to play the game since server slam. Creating a virtual disk did it for me.
Big thank you to the people that posted this fix!

Edit: Looks like many of the systems with this problem have 32GB or more memory. My system has 64GB. Maybe it is related?

I assume since it is now past 5 p.m. California time and I respect the fact that Blizzard employees deserve a weekend. Sadly…

This means the client side patch won’t be released until Monday at the earliest. If so, Blizzard has completely wiped out the point of Early Access with the exception of some cosmetic items.

Not only in this thread, but in others, there were a number of trolls who blamed us for having faulty hardware. One even went so far as to suggest hardware degradation b/t Slam Test and present situation is the culprit (i.e., our fault). I hope they take this as a learning lesson that they really should not speak about things they know nothing about.

As it turns out, those of us on the PC who have suffered are those with the most high-end rigs.

In my 30 years of gaming, this is the first time I’ve been told – your computer / SSD is too advanced, please switch to an older, slower one. To make matters worse, some have reported that switching to an HDD drive works. The reason that matters is Blizzard explicitly states that SSD drives are part of the minimum requirement.

What’s even more worse (forgive my grammar) is that some are reporting they logged in fine yesterday, but can’t today and they changed nothing.

I am happy that those who can log in can enjoy the game. I have no doubt it is awesome, but understand that for many of us, we can’t log in at all.

Our crime? Investing too much in high-end gaming systems.

8 Likes

This fixed it for me, currently making a character right now. Thank you

OMG this worked…after 16hours you got a fix. blizz should pay you for that.

I have tested this, and it worked, maybe it does have to do with directstorage, was doing the benchmark + opening the game that prior your work aroud. If you dont mind, I linked your reply on the post I made about this. Thanks.

Confirmed 100%. Renaming dstorage.dll to anything else in the D4 directory gets past the frozen “logging into diablo” screen.

renaming dstorage.dll worked here too!

patch just rolled out and sure even game launched perfect fine didn’t need to have the bench mark running, great job (just wish this was fix back in server slam when first reported)

Howdy Everyone,

A patch has gone out and this should fix the issue! If you run into any other D4 issues please start a new thread!

6 Likes

Thank you! It’s worthwhile to mention all the distasteful comments from the moderators asking people to “troubleshoot” was incorrect. I appreciate y’all working so hard to fix the issue, prior to the actual release!