[Main Thread] PC - Game Client Freezes at "Logging into Diablo IV" When Launched on Certain NVMe Drives

Wow what a tone deaf reply.

We have all done the basic troubleshooting, scan/repair, etc.

I had installed on my E drive, a 7200 rpm platter drive. It was the same drive I played beta and server slam on. I could not progress past Logging Into Battlenet without the client crashing to desktop. I uninstalled the game, deleted the local prefs file in my documents folder, and reinstalled/downloaded it to my c drive which is an old ssd. The game works fine.

Blizzard, you have a problem with your code. Stop putting this back on users.

1 Like

This same issue is happening to me. I know you guys always try to mitigate the damage by just telling us it’s our fault and it’s something we are doing wrong. It’s easy to post a reply and (in your eyes, solving the issue) by just posting a cookie-cutter response.

But as a software developer, I can tell you this is a bug. Twenty years of software experience has taught me how to identify bugs and this is a bug. It’s either a bug in Diablo 4 or it might be a bug in the latest NVidia drivers, but it’s definitely a bug. The bug seems to be intermittent. Sometimes Diablo 4 freezes immediately when I launch it, without the splash screen even coming up. More often though, it seems to freeze right after the “Blizzard Entertainment” splash screen. About 5 seconds into that is when it seems to happen.

Sometimes, if you try to launch the application 50 times, it might actually successfully run 1 out of those 50 times. Whatever the issue is, it seems to be totally random and unpredictable.

My computer is pretty state of the art. It’s an Alienware desktop. It has an NVidia 3080TI video card. It has the latest video drivers (dated May 30th, I believe). The hard drive is a SSD 2TB drive. Some people have said that installing it on a slower drive might fix the issue. I do not believe this is fixing the issue. I think this appears to solve the problem because like i said before, 1 in 50 times it works. I think if they stop playing and come back and try to play again in 20 minutes or so, they will have the same problem.

Please Blizzard, look at this as a bug. This thread has had 1.5k views, which tells me that over 1500 people just in the US must be experiencing this issue too. 1500 people is way too many to be writing it off as “there are plenty of players online without issues”.

4 Likes

The CrystalDiskMark trick worked for me, too. Jesus Christ why is this a thing

Still having the same issue of the game freezing at “Logging into Diablo IV” Have tried the crystalmark quick fix… Didn’t Work. Fresh install… Didn’t work. Please Bilzzard. I had 0 issues with any of the beta’s. Fix your bugs and at least make an effort to help out the people that paid a stupid amount just to play early.

I am also having the same issue…played just fine last night but this morning its not working

Any fixes? Please help?

Hey all,

While not all of you are having the same issue, we did get some more info on this thanks to this thread and some other reports and are narrowing this down. I’m changing the thread title to help differentiate issues right now and focus on the initial thing that was reported here.

It looks like at least some of these are caused by launching the game on a particularly fast NVMe drive. If this is true for you, please try reinstalling the game to a different hard drive to work around this. In the mean time, the Quality Assurance team is checking this out to see if they can identify why this is happening with this type of hardware. If this does work for you and you can post the model of the hard drive that you were using while having problems, that will help our QA Compatibility folks narrow things down.

If this does not apply to you, please follow the troubleshooting mentioned in the previous post.

Thanks for taking time to make all the reports, and if we hear anything else, I’ll let you know!

2 Likes

I’m having the same issue and using a 2TB Kingston SFYRD 2000G NVMe 4.0. I copied the game to an old external SSD with a usb connector and the game will not crash on opening now but it’s obviously running a lot slower, laggier, and I am routinely crashing when trying to open a menu or just randomly fighting monsters.

No one in this thread has any idea whether its their NVME drives causing the issue or not, so that was a choice.

Very similar behavior, freezes on “Logging Into Diablo IV”. If I let it chill for ~5 min it eventually goes to the Reconnecting to Diablo IV screen, then crashes about 10s later. I am using a Samsung 1TB 960 Pro.

I have the same problem. I’ve installed the game on an additional internal M.2, (the OS runs on another drive).

Running a sequential read test with CrystalDiskMark, while opening the game fixes the problem. I guess the reason why this works is, that the test throttles the speed of the drive.

Model: Corsair Force Series MP510 960-GB-M.2-SSD

I am using a PC801 NVMe SK Hynix 2TB.

NVME: PNY CS3030 500Gb - game stucks at Blizzard logo.

Installed on normal SSD works fine.

KXG70ZNV512G NVMe Kioxia,

Well. Color me green and call me Gregg.

I installed it on an ancient WD plate drive and the stupid game works.

My SSDs are just generic Inland NVME drives. Literally about 6 years old. They won’t launch the game.

But the plate drives will. What in the world. Y’all forget some compatability?

NVME Micron 3400 MTFDKBA1T0TFH

Kingstone WD-Black Game Drive HDD

Samsung 2 tb nvme. I dont have any hdd or ssd to install on. All i have is 4 nvme in my pc. Pretty clear its a launcher error where the nvme is booting the game up to fast and the launcher is locking up.

Same NVME drive issue as everyone else. Launching the game while simultaneously testing with Crystal Mark reliably works. What also works is creating a virtual hard drive on the NVME drive and installing the game there. Partitioning the NVME into multiple volumes did not work.

edit: my NVME drive is a Sabrent 1tb model: SB-ROCKET-1TB

Hmmm, here’s a thing to try out for those whom are techie.

Apply a Pagefile to said system drive and see if that helps.

Samsung 990 Pro 1TB. Crystaldiskmark work around fixed it for me.

KIOXIA EXCERIA NVMe SSD 500gb LRC10Z500GG8 which ran the beta and server slam perfectly fine, but now Ive had to move the game to one of my hdds to play.