Stuck on diablo IV splash screen

I’ve tried all of these suggestions and nothing is working. AMD processor, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 here. Frustrating for sure.

Blizzard, please DO YOUR JOB. “There are over a dozen reasons why this might happen” is a lazy no-effort response. This is clearly impacting a lot of us, and we’ve done all the troubleshooting steps. There’s clearly a bug and you need to actually spend effort investigating it.

1 Like

Hello Friends,

The PTSD from the 2012 D3 release is hitting hard with this one. I was not only swindled by battlenet not picking up my Deluxe Edition, but I also paid an extra $10 for Ultimate just to try and play. Annoyingly enough blizz support came out with a “fix” for this about an hour after I paid. TLDR; Blizzard got $100 out of me when I was only wanting the standard addition. They’re playing 4d chess and I’m apparently just eating crayons.

Anyway, with extreme excitement I was finally able to hit the “Play” button! Within 10 seconds I hit the same issue of getting stuck at the blizzard splash screen. Next, I attempted to click through and got to the login page where my hands started sweating with anticipation. After the game promised it was logging me in I hit the next wonderful issue and froze at “Loading in Diablo 4”.

The good news is after 4 hours of debugging I think I may have solved it (did for mine atleast)!

I was able to fix this issue by literally uninstalling the game and then reinstalling on my D: drive rather than C: drive. There is another forum thread discussing the NVMe speed being too high and causing these issues.

Hard Drive Thread

If uninstalling and re-installing on a different drive doesn’t work, here are several different possible “fixes” (some already suggested and some not) and here’s a list to get you going (quicker fixes at the top followed by more time consuming ones below):

1.) Close out of NVIDIA experience/discord/anything else with overlays and see if you can load in. I’ve heard about potential overlay issues, so this should help rule that out.

2.) Confirm you are allowing access to D4 via Firewall Settings.

3.) Make sure Drivers are updated to latest version.

4.) Try logging out of Battle net App, switching region, and logging back in.

5.) Try launching the game from the File Explorer rather than the “Play” button in battle net. Click on the gear next to the “Play Button” and choose “File Explorer” and launch “Diablo 4”.

6.) Restart your PC.

7.) Click on the gear in the battle net app next to D4’s “Play” button and run the “Scan and Repair” tool.

8.) Uninstall the Battle Net App and then reinstall it.

9.) Uninstall Diablo 4 and Re-Install it.

10.) Restart PC again.

11.) Open a ticket with Blizzard Support. They’re absolutely swamped with issues atm, so please feel free to try playing other Blizzard Games with uplifting communities, such as Overwatch 2, while you wait!

I hope this helps you all get into the game and best of luck!

2 Likes

There is a known bug with the game and addressable RGB software. To fix this go to…

C:\Users\ username \Documents\Diablo IV\LocalPrefs.txt

Open that text file. Look for DisableChromaEffects and change the value from 0 to 1. This stops the crash to desktop on starting the game issue.

1 Like

Found the cause of my d4.exe lockup issues. Normally I run MSI Afterburner to monitor my AMD GPU (6950 XT) and it looks like d4.exe and MSI Afterburner don’t like each other. With MSI Afterburner running I will get random d4.exe lock ups, usually one the Blizzard logo screen or Diably IV logo screen. Once I shutdown MSI Afterburner the d4.exe lockups cease. Thanks to the folks who mentioned overlay issues, that gave me the idea to shutdown MSI Afterburner.

I recommend manually adding Diablo 4 to your firewall exceptions. I think it’s trying and failing to do a Windows Defender window when it crashes (might just be opening behind the game). Go to settings, search for firewall, Windows Defender Firewall > Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall > Change settings > Allow another app > Add the executable from wherever you installed it. I also added the launcher, just in case. Hope that helps some of you.

Same problem on my side. Nothing was helping so far. I wonder how they can launch the game with such a bug in the intro screen… they should be a discound or reimboursement… why paying for early access when you cannot access.

I don’t know what the problem is. Day 2 and I’m still having trouble logging in. What does work is clicking the splash screens quickly to get to the login screen. Then it will try and login and eventually crash at logging into diablo IV. Just keep repeatedly closing d4 and trying again. Eventually you will get in. Has now worked twice for me over two days after repeated fails. Once I’m in I don’t log out!

So something really strange is happening, I can click through to login screen but then can’t get past logging in - while loading my PC is making a buzzing sound then stops… hope its not frying my card or something

2 Likes

Correction: That didn’t do it. Apparently it just works sometimes. Fun.

I had this same issue. tried uninstalling, reinstalling. end task on geforce experience and discord, changing values in one of the D4 files. ended up being my m.2 ssd, as in this thread

I had to install D4 on an old sata ssd and was finally able to get past the blizzard logo, the login queue, and character select.

Good luck

I made a thread with some work arounds some time ago, linking here too.

Hope it helps.

After hours of trying, I found that if I installed the game on a slower drive it worked. I was trying to install on an SSD that was around 7K R/W but I installed on a gen 3 SSD (Samsung EVO 970 3500 R/W) and it works perfectly now.

1 Like

The issue could be related to direct storage, (which ends up making sense of why the game opens on slower SSD’s.) I renamed dstorage.dll for something else (like .dll_backup) and the game is now running fine. (even some stutterings that I was having, I don’t have anymore).

I don’t know if you are still monitoring this issue (even tho it’s already the weekend), but it seems to be related to DirectStorage, renaming the file dstorage.dll worked in 100% of the people who tested it so far, I hope it helps in the investigation. (Who discovered it: [Main Thread] PC - Game Client Freezes at “Logging into Diablo IV” When Launched on Certain NVMe Drives - #246 by Toom-1290)

a friendof mine have the same problem… nothing works whatt here is said. Damn we realy wanted to play with each other this game.
We played a few hours a go and now nothing is working for him.
Frezze after seeing the char creation.

Tried this as well for my AMD Adrenelin and it stldoes not work

For me this issue occurred until I changed the “DisableChromaEffects” setting to 1 in Documents >DiabloIV > LocalPrefs file

1 Like

You the real mvp I’ve been stuck in the splash screen for 24+hours till I found your reply thank you

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.