How would we get rid of skill cooldowns?

hey there, was thinking about skills cooldown, and how much i used to love to use frozen orb spam until everyone left the game because their pc couldnt take it anymore

i know it poses balancing issues, but anyone got an idea how could cooldowns go away without to much tinkering with balanceing?

1 Like

iirc frozen orb is up much more often with more fcr you have.

Well from Modding perspective it is super easy change. If you will remove Cooldown, you need to lower damage. Which i dont like because it will result in more spam of abilities.

1 Like

What is the point of reducing cooldowns? Balancing would also be hard. lowering the cooldowns, damage and mana cost might work but what will they do with spells that already excist without cooldowns? They need an increased damage and mana cost to balance it.

But don’t really understand how or why?

1 Like

well if you played long enough you might remember a time when frozen orb didnt have a cooldown, might use a similar recipe to how it used to work back then, if i remember correctly they only touched it because it caused so many issue for people not being able to sustain the game shooting so many frozen orbs, now days it shouldnt be an issue

2 Likes

But what about other skills with cooldowns? It’s not just frozen orb. You would cooldowns to be removed for every skill?

i would have to do a bit more research on other skills but for every skill that got a cooldown for a similar reason i think it should be safe to find a work around, limitations that no longer exist shouldnt affect the gameplay now days

I’d rather keep the skills with hard cooldowns the same as they are. (Frozen Orb, Meteor, Blizzard and others)

You can cast other skills between frozen orb shots… For example, Frozen Orb + Fireball… Fireball Fireball FrozenOrb, Fireball Fireball Frozenorb. The sounds give you a similar beat as the song Queen: “We Will Rock You”. If you get your fcr up high enough you can throw out 3x fireballs between frozen orbs to achieve ultimate fireball+frozenorb spammer cannon status.

As Zax said, the damage would have to be reduced, it would become a spam fest.

2 Likes

yeah i love that fireball frozen ball build, i use it alot, but it affects stuff like hydra pretty bad, instead of a build like hydra being viable, its just not used at all, do you have any good reason to cool down hydra? and if you dont have cooldown on frozen orb, wouldnt you still be able to go hybrid ;)?

I’ve played with hydra before and honestly it’s just not endgame viable… It’s too slow to kill. Its a skill that I feel could use a revamp to make it more viable. There are plenty of other skills that fit this category… If Blizzard does another skill balancing, I sincerely hope that the revamp of any skills is tempered with wisdom in order to not end up as an ever ratcheting up powercreep fest like D3 turned into.

Another skill that is garbage is firewall. It works good at the start at difficulties lower than Hell, but it slowly gets weaker than other fire skills of similar level/synergy boosts.

1 Like

i agree with you completly, its a very big issue to solve if you just rebalance everything, but if you just install the old patches see how it used to work and use that as your base its a lot safer then just to rebalance everything

and as for firewall, firewall is underrated! if you dont mind how annoying it is to use, i think its actually one of the strongest skills in the game with max synergies XD

I’ll stick with Blizzard. :slight_smile:

Meteor is awesome as well, can be a bit tricky to time.

1 Like

yeah blizzard is much more comfortable although i usually just opt for fire ball frozen orb like you said until i farm enough items for me change something up haha

1 Like

CD is fine…

It would be nice, if Fire Elemental Skills, for druid, didnt all share the same cooldown slot.

Using Armageddon, puts all others on cooldown for so long. For really no reason.

No other group of spells acts like Fire Elemental Skills. And it really nerfs there usability.

1 Like

If you look on diablo ii dot net there is my sorc build. I really think you might enjoy playing it.

[Build] Tri Sorc Caster Revision 4 MF/KeyRunner/Baal/Rusher/Organs(Lillith is Hard)

It is 100% viable as I currently use it for my main. If you get the distance down for Super Uniques and for Bosses and get the orb to explode inside them frozen orb does massive amounts of damage. Plus you can spam it to slow down monsters. Call to Arms and Infinity make this build a lot of fun especially from a nostalgia point of view.

i think we are all experienced enough to explode inside by this point :wink:

thank you for the suggestion ill check it out ^^

i actually agree with this, i never understood why would you need to limit the druid that way, but i dont remember any patches where it wasn’t the case for the druid,

if they decide to give the entire cooldown aspect a look there is not reason for them not to trail the druid as well but i think those skills always had a sort of cooldown