Fix for 170GB "Update"

Hi, I have been trying for the past few hours to get this game working and finally got it sorted, for anyone with system restore turned off you wont be able to do this unfortunately.

So the first thing you need to do is prevent the Battlenet client from constantly trying to resume that massive download. Make sure battlenet is closed.

Go to: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local
Delete: Battle.net & Blizzard Entertainment

Then Go to: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming
Delete: Battle.net

Once these folders are deleted go to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Call of Duty Modern Warfare
Right click the folder and go to properties, then previous versions.
I only paid for the game and installed it yesterday so can only copy it from 17:00 last night UK time.

Copy the entire contents of the previous version folder, delete the current contents of the existing one in C:\Program Files (x86)\Call of Duty Modern Warfare then paste the previous version in.

Once this has done launch battle net and make sure that you do not press ok straight away and agree to the auto updates, untick Modern Warfare and press ok, then go to options under modern warfare run scan and repair, once this has completed it will ask for an update however in my case it was only 200MB instead of 170GB

I have tested it and am in able to play normally, I hope this works for whoever is able to do this, I am no expert but these steps fixed it for me!

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions I will try and help where I can :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Sucks for me, no previous versions.

8 Likes

Same here, I hope that works for otherones

Just to add to this, you probably don’t need to replace all the files to get this working, so they could quite easily make a patch as they will know what ones need to be replaced…

1 Like

Running a scan and repair to see if that fixes anything. Mine is down to 118 GB remaining, at 2/3 Mbp/s. Covid-21 will be around before this finishes.

12 Likes

lol you’re probably right there

hey, so if i dont want to delete bnet without making sure this works could I directly goto C:\Program Files (x86)\Call of Duty Modern Warfare and check if previous versions tab has previous versions available? or I have to delete battle.net for it to show up

No you don’t have to delete it to see if it shows up, separate folders!

You sir, are a genius. This worked a treat for me (had a restore version from 31/03). Whole process took about an hour, I’ve now got a permAnent backup of my cod folder on an external drive, should this happen again. Thanks a bunch for this info.

1 Like

No worries glad it solved your issue! :slight_smile: Definitely a good idea to keep a backup for now, I read this has been happening for the past week, some have downloaded the game 4 times!!! Madness

Actually, just played one game of warzone, closed COD and now it’s saying update again! Did that happen to you after you played again for the first time since restoring the backup (not clicked the update button yet).

Mine did come up with the update button again at which point I was sweating… However the update was only 200mb for me NOT the 171 GB

Give it a go and see what happens, or has it already done the 200MB update?

It did approx 170mb after the initial scan and repair, pressing the dreaded button again now…ah, didn’t do a thing, almost immediately changed to “Play”, so no update required, phew!

good news, are you showing version 1.18.1.7517517

Yes, that’s the same version I’m running now. Ps. just worked it out, would’ve taken 42 hours to download the 170gb again on my rubbish broadband, so saved a whole lot of hassle, probably would’ve taken about 5 days on and off in total (if I ever actually got there with the issue with downloads aborting).

Yep same here mate insane, not even like you can just leave it to download whilst you sleep etc lol… think I might be on to something though looks like the .build.info file changes the behaviour of the update. Interestingly my game is working even though within that file it shows version 1.18.1.7517517

If you get a chance can you see if your .build.info file within the main Modern Warfare folder has the same version on the far right? Open with notepad!

Yep, same 1.18.0.7517517 in the build.info file. It was last modified on 28/3 at 9pm.

Strange, I just deleted mine and the launcher asked for an update, then it recreated it with version 1.18.1.7517517, must make no real difference.

I am wondering if the issue was with the launcher and they have now rectified that but because people have downloads going already its just resuming.

If anyone has given up on this try closing the launcher and doing the following

Go to: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local
Delete: Battle.net & Blizzard Entertainment

Then Go to: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming
Delete: Battle.net

Then Delete build.info file within main Cod folder. Cant guarantee this will solve the issue as I am unable to test as mine now works.

Deleting the folders in app data will clear the existing download and start from scratch, if it then only downloads a 200mb patch that means they have fixed the issue for people loading the launcher up who have not already commited to the re download of the entire game!

Looks like I owe you a beer Frank, thanks a million! I only had to download a 180MB repair patch. This should be the official fix, but I still feel sad for those who didn’t wait and relaunched the 180GB “update”

1 Like

Glad I could help! Tough enough for everyone as it is at the moment!

Did you use the second “fix” I posted or the first one right at the top? if the second one is working then it means everyone can use it and don’t have to rely on backed up versions!