Fix for 170GB "Update"

My situation was a bit different, I was suspicious and didn’t click on the update button in the first place. So I used your 1st fix without restoring the previous MW version as my game was untouched. Just deleted the battle.net folders, hard copied the game for backup just in case and ran a verify & repair

Ah sweet so looks like their launcher screwed it up for everyone but they must have made a change on that which is why going in fresh is now sorting it!

I can’t find the build.info file, at least not in the MW folder. I think my installation might be totally corrupted.

If you run a repair on the game it should recreate it! Alternatively once deleting the listed folders when you go back into the launcher it will ask you to update and hopefully only give you a smaller 200mb one.

But if you’re half way through the download or whatever its at your own risk, would hate for that not to work and you have to start all over again!

I havent started the download yet and made a backup so don’t have really anything to lose. Running a repair doesn’t seem to be working, it takes 10 seconds (instead of the usual 10-15 minutes) and then starts the download again.

Ah ok cool, so I would say try this

Go to: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local
Delete: Battle.net & Blizzard Entertainment

Then Go to: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming
Delete: Battle.net

Then reopen the launcher and see if it gives you the 200mb download instead

I did all the stuff, just for security i saved a copy of that files and folders into the desktop.
But when i started battle.net i have to download 150 GB anyway.
What i have to do?

Interesting enough, I already started the download and tried your second fix (delete appdata).
When restarting the launcher it’ll ask for user and password, so I know the appdata has been recreated. However, the download still continues at the same point as before!

1 Like

If you cant restore the folder from previous versions the only suggestion I have that you can try is deleting the folders listed and .build.info also BlizzardBrowser within Modern Warfare Directory. then run a repair and see if that then prompts you for the smaller download, unfortunately I have not been able to do more testing as I fixed the game and didnt keep a copy of the broken version

I’ve realised if you delete all the files specified above, it will ask you to re-log into your account but will restart the download at what ever percentage when it “recognises”

but if you press the windows Key + R - and type in %ProgramData% and delete the Battle.net folder, when you restart the Blizard launcher it will say “install” rather than update… i clicked install and it came up as 180GB, i then changed my old folder to the new folder name to Call of Duty Modern Warfare and it changed to 114GB… :frowning:

i don’t think there is going to be a fix for this, not one that we can fix anyone i think it’s going to have to be the Devs to fix this issue :frowning:

So to be clear we need to see if doing the following resolves it for people who cant restore from previous version.

Back up game contents before trying this

C:\Program Files (x86)\Call of Duty Modern Warfare
Delete: .build.info & Blizzard Browser

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local
Delete: Battle.net & Blizzard Entertainment

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming
Delete: Battle.net

Open launcher, it will say update as files are missing, see what happens!

Doesn’t work. The download just resumes from the spot it was stopped. 90gb to go for me…

Have you tried scan and repair after you’ve done this?

Thats the issue I was having which is why the only option I had was to delete the entire contents and overwrite with the previous working version, although someone confirmed earlier they were able to do it without restoring previous version, however they had not committed to the 170gb download already.

I’ll do these steps now…

but i have already committed to the download so lets see if this fixes it for people/

Check that the blizzard launcher is version 2.19.4.7010 as well, theres a few posts saying that this new version is meant to prevent this happening

I’ll double check that now! if it’s not how do i force it to do the update?

EDIT

I am running 2.19.4.7010

I guess just uninstall it and delete those folders as well, then re download and install

I don’t even know where the launcher is writing data to. My game folder is not changing and there is nothing saved on my other drives as well. It just looks like it’s downloading nothing.

It downloads and unpacks the data at the same time, overwriting existing files so the folder size shouldn’t change