Water Strider Discussion

UPDATE: The Bind on Account Water Boots price is 40g and will require Anglers reputation.

In the PTR currently (in the first hour of the PTR):

• Every character above 100 gets the water boots free in the mail.
  • The BoA version of the water boots was reported by someone as being reusable. (others report it’s consumed on use. need official info on this)

(The main discussion at the moment is whether or not the Water Strider should be able to use Mount Equipment or if it should keep it’s water walking ability instead)

Pros

• You get the Water Mount Equipment at level 20 and it’s account bound.
  • You get one free if you’re exalted with The Angler’s.
  • 40 gold as of right now for alts. For the price it’s not bad.
  • That means you can water walk with your friends riding on your multi-person mount starting at level 20!

Cons

• The Water Strider is losing it’s passive water walking ability so that it can use Mount Equipment. (Many players would prefer if their Water Strider was left untouched instead)

• It breaks the fundamental nature of a waterstrider bug, which kills immersion.

• Paying for a feature we already had.

This is only the tip of many concerns over how players worry their game is losing the things that make it fun, kind of like how the talent tree was trimmed to make things more simple. It’s a debate based on love for the game and should be treated as a serious matter. Even if I personally enjoy it. I can’t help but hope you, Blizzard, find a solution that will satisfy both sides of this.

90 Likes

It serves no purpose whatsoever. It only exists to make the game more unpleasant to play.

326 Likes

Honestly, people are overreacting to something that hasn’t even become playable to the majority of the playerbase. We are getting information from ‘content creators’ that got to play a little.

I’m 10000000000% positive that if this truly becomes detrimental, then they’ll make a change. Like, make the water strider keep it’s water walking ability but don’t give it a mount equipment slot.

This is all in TESTING people. It’s not written in stone yet.

46 Likes

@Fenshire Exactly. Thank you. It’s not nearly as bad as the benefits we’re getting.

8 Likes

Here’s why the the water strider mount nerf is bad.

1. It removes things from the game.

That’s all you need.

311 Likes

Things are also being added to the game.

14 Likes

That is the change I’d like to see them make, but they’ve been trying to nerf the water strider since WoD. And backlash over that, before it went live, is the only reason the water walking ability wasn’t confined to Pandaria (azure) and Draenor (crimson).

67 Likes

I would legitimately agree with the complaints if this hit the live servers. I don’t believe it will, though.

6 Likes

It’s not a zero sum game.

5 Likes

rip waterstrider 2012 -2019 :frowning:

65 Likes

If you plan to use the water boots, you can still use the water strider.

4 Likes

This is literally adding portal room while removing cities portal all over again.

And people tried really hard to justify it for Blizzard as always :rofl:

159 Likes

The only thing they can do is keep water walking on the water strider and not give it benefits from any equipment, like they are doing with the sky golem.

64 Likes

Proof that people will whine about anything.

I’d rather they did the inverse of that. I’m tired of always having to use my sky golem.

10 Likes

Except it’s not nearly as bad as it’s being perceived. We’re getting water walking for all characters above 100. We can fly at level 60 in every zone. It’s not a big deal.

8 Likes

elaborate…

I agree with the backlash. However, the overly dramatic posts of how Blizzard is ruining the game and hates the playerbase are unwarranted at this point. The fact is, this is just testing at the moment and everything we experience is open to change before hitting the live servers.

People claiming they’re going to leave the game over this are foolish.

6 Likes
1 Like

Heres the issue:

-instead of making content that incorporates flying, they outlaw flying

-they do make content that has water, and DONT want us using sonething that will help traverse water

In short, the devs are happy as long as players have a miserable experience from point a to point b.

143 Likes

They’re adding equipment to mounts so we won’t be forced to ride the water strider anymore. It’s amazing.

15 Likes