Regarding Mount & Pet Collection Achievements!

Hey guys,

Just wanted to post some feedback regarding the state of the current collection achievements for Mounts & Pets!

Many players over on the Achievements Forum have been asking for new Mount & Pet Collection achievements to be added over the past few patches to World of Warcraft!

Many of us have collected well over the current 400 mounts collected achievement, Which currently is the highest achievement for mounts collected. I also know many players have collected well over the last achievement for pets collected as well since the last achieve was added!

I, Myself have currently over 500 mounts obtained on my main World of Warcraft character. Working on the pet collection achievements as of late as well in my spare time. I’m certain I’ll obtain a lot of new pets over the next few weeks since not many left to level up to Level 25 now.

If new mount achievements are indeed added in the future, We would really like it if the mount rewards were not re-skins. But instead a totally new cool type of mount. I’ve seen some really cool mounts up for purchase lately on the in-game shop - So why not add a new type of mount like we see on the shop?

Would also love to see some new fancy titles added for those that have collected many of the mounts and pets there is to obtain in the game!

232 Likes

Yes, 100%.

I’ve been a little vocal about this in tweets before but it’s been since BFA pre-patch that we got new achievements for collecting mounts, toys, and pets and the achievements are all extremely far behind the curve in terms of people who actively collect the aforementioned items in the game.

When the 100 exalted reputations achievement was released, it was definitely on the higher end of being harder to obtain as you needed some very grindy and also some very “not achievable for a decade” reputations to have hit above 100.

For some reason the mounts, toys, and pets lag quite far behind. Why is that? I have 635 toys yet I do not actively go out of my way to collect them. Why is the achievement cap still at 400?

I currently have 739 mounts via the journal (which is account-wide) and have not felt challenged to obtain mounts required for the milestone achievements since late MoP. Even with my mount count, I am barely making it in top 100 US/OCE for mounts. As you mentioned, we are capped at 400 right now and seem to get an achievement every other expansion. With all of the new mounts that were added to 9.1 and are currently being added into 9.2, 800 is easily obtainable by a lot of people. Still, it’s likely we will have only a 450 and 500 mount achievement implemented by 10.0 prepatch.

Personally, I would prefer to have new milestones to look forward to and less of the “hey! we added 42 mounts this expansion and 38 of them are recolors and maybe only 1 feels rewarding.”

We get so many mounts every patch but they feel like hollow satisfaction for me as a mount collector. Hooray, +1 mount I will take a screen shot while riding and then forget about, because all I had to do was kill the mob on 12 alts for 20 days straight before it dropped and it’s just a slightly different shade of blue than the other 3 I got last week!"

I’d LOVE less mounts, more achievements for current mounts, and less of the “kill this not-so-rare 243 times or hope RNG is on your side to get this paragon cache mount that we added to keep people actively coming back her for 4 more years.” Quality over quantity.

94 Likes

I had this exact topic drafted yesterday but you beat me to it! I have some additional comments I wanted to add.

We also haven’t had an update to collection achievements for toys, reputations and achievement points. The last time we got these was the BFA Pre Patch. Hundreds of pets and mounts have been added, especially if you consider the cross-covenant rewards. Similarly, I think the latest achievement point reward is for 9k achievement points but players are now hitting close to 37k.

I am also an advocate for the mount achievement to be tracked account wide, instead of being character specific (and having the totals updated accordingly). Collecting across factions, professions, and classes is very common nowadays.

There is also a larger drive for more collection achievements in general. It would be nice to finally have achievements and unique rewards for collecting titles, recipes, weapon illusions, heirlooms, unique transmog appearances/cosmetic items, etc.

Collecting is a big community in WoW. Players would like to see more rewards for collecting throughout the expansions.

79 Likes

Even as someone who hasn’t gotten this achievement I’d love to see another one added because I can always appreciate when I see someone riding the Frenzied Feltalon mount. I appreciate their hard work at farming mounts and their dedication paying off, i think adding another 1-2 mount levels (475, 550? 500, 600?) is a great idea that would motivate mount collectors again, knowing how exclusive the 400 mount mount is already!

8 Likes

Not gonna lie, they need to go up to 1000 at the rate they keep adding re-colors with every patch. People are already at 700+ (present company included) and if we get a 9.3 or 9.2.5 with 40 more mounts that 800 threshold is more attainable. Going up to 1000 at least gives collectors a goal post for the future.

11 Likes

I think people would be upset if there were unobtainable achievements in the game; but if the number really is 800, then why not!

8 Likes

It wouldn’t be unobtainable - just not obtainable at this point. Even in pre-patches, they implement achievements for the raid tier that isn’t out for another month. The 100 Exalted Reputations achievement, when it was implemented, was just barely obtainable. I know not everyone will agree, but I think having future goalposts in the game keeps it interesting. Even if they only go up to 800 mounts, it would be nice to know that they’re giving collectors more to look forward to.

16 Likes

With the variety of recolored mounts that are in the database but have yet to be implemented in game, this should be a relatively easy addition.

A large portion of the Warcraft community takes pride in collecting mounts and being able to show off milestones feels great. There are well over 800+ obtainable mounts in game, we need a 450, 500, 550, 600, 650, 700, 750 & 800 mount achievement.

5 Likes

I’d even like to see more family mount achievements similar to Awake the Drakes.

We have a few obtainable bear mounts in the game, it would be awesome to have an achievement to showcase the collection, something like Bear Army, where the reward is in reference to an actually drafted Brown Bear for the polish army.

7 Likes

This seems a pretty nice idea to me. I would also like more achievements as the number of obtainable mounts is growing every patch. Furthermore I would also like to have less new mounts (and recolors) but more beautiful mounts you really want to show off.

4 Likes

There’s a little over 1500 pets in the game, but due to some no longer being available, realistically there’s around 1460/1470. Likewise, there’s a lot of unobtainable mounts.

I know I’m in the minority, but I’d prefer they only add achievements that are realistically obtainable. That said, I still want them to design the achievements and rewards past that, so they can easily add them later on, in minor patches, when the number becomes realistic. So we aren’t waiting years for a new achievement. Even adding them to the game, and just “hiding” them and making them unearnable would be fine, so they can simply flip a switch and turn it on, if say a store mount comes out and pushes the number to realistic.

Toys are often overlooked as well. The last toy achievement was 400, and we’re at over 700 toys now. (Though most people realistically have like 650ish max)

I’d also like to see some variety on the achievements. AKA Pet Achievements not just rewarding pets, mounts not just rewarding mounts.

Like, why doesn’t a pet achievement reward a mount, or a mount achievement reward a toy, etc.

Heck, one thing the pet community has wanted as a reward is a toy that summons all 3 of your battle team at once.

Though, I would still say still reward a pet/mount for those achievements, just add the other stuff as “extra” for the effort people put in.

Side Note, I’d like to see Crazy for Cats updated as well, as there’s been a LOT of cat pet additions since then.

2 Likes

Total mounts are 948 in game, Total obtainable mounts currently in game is 873. This number also varies based off the criteria for usable by single player. Realistically going up to 800 Mount achievement shouldnt be outside the realm of possibility for people to hit especially with the amount of mounts that have been added in the last 2 patches alone.

This would give people something to farm for for example using the Ur’zul model for say achievement 600 or something. This model for a mount currently only has one way to obtain. Gives players a unique reward and a reason to farm. Because right now the grind for recolors of the same mount is exhausting.

5 Likes

When I say realistically obtainable, I mean if someone new to the game started collecting mounts, if they put in enough effort, and didn’t have RNG working against them, they could get it.

AKA If they got every single raid mount on their first try, got any pvp mount they could rather fast (I don’t know how saddles work anymore, I gave up trying to figure that out long ago) etc. In other words, if they put the maximum amount of effort in, and got total luck on their side they could achieve it.

Because if there’s an achievement you can’t get no matter how much effort you put in, until a later patch/expansion, that’s demoralizing and may turn someone off from collecting or the game itself.

Like, for instance, if they added a 1500 pet achievement in 9.2.5 without adding any new pets. Then only people who have old unobtainable pets would be able to get it until next xpac. That would feel horrible and actively make me lose interest in collecting.

They did this with Hearthy, in which they added the 1,000 pet achievement before it was realistically possible, in a pre-patch. I personally witnessed multiple people in WCP just outright stop collecting over it. I don’t know if any quit the game, but I know of at least two that stopped collecting.

According to Enhanced Mount Journal, I’m at 483/783 of mounts my character can use (I’m not a mount collector. I just… somehow accumulate them? lol). So I don’t think 800 is technically realistically achievable. It IS achievable, just not realistically.

For instance, dataforazeroth has a ton of people over 800, but it has a disclaimer that it counts both Horde and Alliance mounts and class specific mounts. And as the in-game achievements require a single character being able to use them, the vast majority of those people wouldn’t get an 800 achievement. And there’s no way to separate that on their interface. Whereas the achievements discord has like 2 people with over 800 (and that tracks per character). There’s less than 50 with more than 700 on there, lol. And there’s like 50,000 members or something like that, and a good majority of collectors are on there.

For the record, as someone with (currently) 1447 unique pets (no protoform pets yet), I would be against adding say, a 1450 unique pets achievement in 9.2.5, for instance, because a new person realistically can’t reach that, as I have a lot of unobtainable pets.

So trust me when I say I understand wanting an achievement for your accomplishment. I just personally wouldn’t want to demoralize and make another person lose interest in collecting or the game in general, because there’s an achievement they can’t obtain for an expansion or two down the line because I have unobtainable things.

All that said, I wouldn’t scream or anything if they added them, I’d just be disappointed. You wanting them is perfectly valid. I don’t want this to come off as dismissing your desire. That’s not my intent at all. Just trying to point out that if an achievement isn’t realistically obtainable for patches/expansions due to missing old content, it’s demoralizing and discouraging to people.

And if it wasn’t obvious, I’m VERY MUCH in favor of adding new mount/pet/toy achievements. :stuck_out_tongue: Just to realistically achievable numbers.

2 Likes

Went and checked out the PTR for Patch 9.2.5 to see if any new mount achievements have gotten added. Sadly, None at this time. I know a lot of mount collectors checked as well and are saddened by this.

Really hoping in the near future that some mount collection achievements will be added. If any are however, I would love it if they were completely new mount models and not re-skins of older mounts. I know some re-skins are cool looking, But it would be even more awesome to show off your achievement you earned on a really unique mount! :smiley:

5 Likes