[CS Lounge] Poking with the poking stick

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
   Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
   And the mome raths outgrabe.

“Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
   The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
   The frumious Bandersnatch!”

He took his vorpal sword in hand;
   Long time the manxome foe he sought—
So rested he by the Tumtum tree
   And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
   The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
   And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
   The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
   He went galumphing back.

“And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
   Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!”
   He chortled in his joy.

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
   Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
   And the mome raths outgrabe.

Carroll, Lewis. “Jabberwocky.”

16 Likes

(context is a little a lot off, but it was the first thing that came to mind with Vrak’s closing sentiment)

4 Likes

Oh, how I disappoint!

Au contraire!

1 Like

You of course have the high ground. ^~

2 Likes

I’m in here before 2020 pacific time wooo wooo! Me and my New Zealand friend keep swinging jokes back n forth.

3 Likes

Happy New Year folks. Enjoy your time partying tonight if you decide to. Remember if you drink, Not to drink and drive.

4 Likes

One of our chickens (Danerys Cluckborn) died due to the heat yesterday :frowning:

1 Like

Oh no! Sorry Kittin. :<

I don’t think so at all. Though I might be a bit biased since Jabberwocky is one of my all time favorite poems.

Just so we have it in this thread:

3 Likes

Thank you, Vrakthris.

<.< I have no idea how to quote something from out of thread. Particularly out of locked threads.

::ahem:: Alice in Wonderland is one of the best books.

3 Likes

spending the new year grinding in classic wow!
good times

2 Likes

Alice In Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass was my chose for my high school senior book report. The only one on this list that required two books.
It turned out to be the easiest off all of them. The teacher and I were the only ones who got the point of the series. We were both laughing at the class.

2 Likes

seems apropriate.

4 Likes

I have read Alice in Wonderland and Alice Through the Looking Glass since grade school. My grandmother brought a copy back for me from England. I still have it. Jabberwocky is my favorite poem. Followed closely by The Hunting of the Snark. I have a copy of it too. I read it before I saw the first Star Trek movie.

1 Like

3 of my fave trilogies 2 have or are being made into a tv Wheel of TIme by the late robert jordan finished by brandon sanderson author of the stormlight novels. WOT is being turned into a amazon tv show then theres the sword of truth books which i enjoyed tv was a dud. Mistborn series is a good read. Brandon weeks is also a good author his night angel trilogy is a good read.

1 Like

I’ve got to agree, but it was still fun for what it was worth. Definitely a lot to be desired, wouldn’t mind a reboot.

Agreed on it being a favorite series, too. I’m amazed he’s still going, but it’d be nice if he worked on another Seeker series.

1 Like

Have u read the children of dhara and the one focusing on the death mistress the later is a realy good read.

I’ve lapsed in my keep-up-withness, alas. The last book of his I sat down to read was The Law of Nines.

Never heard of that one may have to look it up interesting.