Classic Era Patch Updates

Greetings everyone,

Last week, we announced several updates to our Classic Era realms. These updates included changes originally developed for Season of Discovery but intentionally brought to Classic Era as well, such as one that specifically addressed a longstanding imbalance in World of Warcraft Classic, by providing Alliance players with the Might of Stormwind buff as a comparable buff to the Horde’s Warchief’s Blessing.

In that time, we have listened to the community response to changes in Classic Era and the concerns about what updates like this could mean for the future. Thank you for your feedback.

Effective immediately, we are reversing the following changes to Classic Era:

• Alliance players now have access to the Might of Stormwind, to a version of the Warchief’s Blessing world buff effect.

• Druids can now train and use polearms.

• The 6-hour wait between applications of Rallying Cry of the Dragonslayer and Warchief’s Blessing has been reduced to 1 minute.

For everything it does perfectly, Classic Era is also beloved for its wonderful imperfections. These ‘perfectly imperfect’ elements and balance make up the texture of the overall experience, and we recognize that making changes to these, even with the intent of adding ‘quality of life’ updates – and particularly without discussing them with the community first – was shortsighted. Thank you, again, for your feedback.

Likewise, we want to provide a bit of insight into UI changes in WoW Classic, and specifically the recent Guild UI update in Classic Era. As we have spoken about in the past, one of the challenges the Classic team faces is recreating Classic experiences while running on modern World of Warcraft code. However, the games gain significant benefits from having this be the case – including at the most foundational level of being able to integrate with Battle.net services in the first place – but it also means that we can share backend code and bring in UI elements as updates from the modern game.

With respect to the Guild UI in Classic Era, although we have received feedback from Guild leaders that the updated UI improves their Guild management, we recognize that allowing in an unexpected change like this in Classic Era is substantively jarring and has an impact on the overall experience. We are committed to doing what is right by our players, and we are discussing additional options for the Guild UI as a team, while continuing to look to the community for feedback.

Just as importantly (if not more so), we recognize that all of these updates to Classic Era came abruptly and without warning. This lapse in communication was not in line with our values, and we need to do better here. As it stands now, the Classic team philosophically has very little desire to bring gameplay-impacting changes to Classic Era. Moving forward, we will endeavor to discuss any potential community-led desire for changes with the community, well in advance of actually implementing any updates.

We have said since the beginning that World of Warcraft Classic has been a journey that has been cowritten by you, the players. Thank you, as always, for your passion, feedback and partnership.

Sincerely,

The WoW Classic Team

106 Likes

thank you for listening to us. this game is as sacred as it is old

59 Likes

Thank you, so we still have the new guild ui and dmt/songflower buffs are no longer dispellable, correct?

7 Likes

thank you for these fixes

29 Likes

Can we revert the BG Ques as well. (Capping at 5, rather than a raid group)

6 Likes

Fantastic! Thank you for listening to us!

24 Likes

We won sisters!!!

23 Likes

I accept and appreciate both the reversion and the communication. These changes were good changes, they were just in the wrong place. If the dev team ever decides to tackle a Classic+ that’s more like Vanilla than SoD turned out to be, I’m sure many of them would be welcome.

One thing that was left unsaid here. An undocumented change that came with the recent patch was many log-out skips being rendered unusable. Is this a change that’s intended to remain applied, or will this be reverted as well?

22 Likes

Thanks. Classic Era is not Sod. It is not retail. The number one thing most of us want is to just be left alone.

40 Likes

way to cater to griefers in Classic era thanks blizzard for this poop update

24 Likes

Thanks for doing your job.

13 Likes

Please un-undo the changes. Classic is good but not perfect. A few tweaks like what you did help bring the imperfect old game closer to the dream version of the old game.

And please add xmog to classic. Give an option to turn it off for people who want to stay pure and look at all of the ridiculous mismatched armor combos. Since its just a visual change it would have no effect on gameplay.

16 Likes

Notice how the only people that wanted these changes reverted are salty horde player mad that alliance finally has Rend.
Or alliance players that arent even raiding in Era to know how useful/beneficial these changes were.

You guys listened to vocal minorities instead of seeing how lively Era has been since these changes accidentally leaked through.

48 Likes

Rend is the most tedious part of my week, its truly awful. I was actually so pleased when I heard we were getting Stormrend. Not everyone is so vocal as the purists who want to decide how everyone else should have to play. If they dont want to use Stormrend they can click it off. As a full time working player Stormrend was the single best thing to happen to classic in a long time for me. Very sad to see it go.

34 Likes

Please revert logout skip change as well, this is part of the “Jank” of Era we all love. Also, Officer chat is still broken. thanks!

21 Likes

While I agree that communicating changes for classic era needs to be better (eg at all), there’s a massive contingent of people happy with might of stormwind bring introduced. Especially on the Mankrik cluster where the horse faction is very small. It also does not affect the gameplay of anybody who doesn’t want to use it, as the buff was already available and is exactly the kind of quality of life change the game needs.

It’s frustrating you would revert this change so quickly, when the only people being vocal about it once implemented were the complainers. The people that were happy with it we’re not coming on here to the same degree.

I can respectfully acknowledge that there’s nothing wrong with not liking MOS being added, but don’t listen to a small portion of the community who was complaining and suggest they represent everyone. They don’t.

40 Likes

Thank you for listening to feedback.

9 Likes

Thank you for everything Classic Team!

Please continue to listen to the heart beat of the community, we appreciate that approach.

I will demand nothing further. I am grateful for these revisions.

Member of DD Fresh Movement,
Petey

10 Likes

+1 Resub :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Please change Songflower/DMT back. There is no reason to change this now and priest/shaman does not deserve to have this taken away. Revert all of the changes.

9 Likes