What would save Overwatch?

Sunken cost fallacy? Do you have any evidence that shows they’re not hitting their goals?

Focus on the average players, not the owl. Ppl won’t watch owl if they don’t even play the game.

Release new heros/maps/game modes/events more frequently.

Make in game coins buyable.

Change how SR works.

Make report system actually effective.

Overwatch 2 for the cell phone

Adding more abilities to the most heavily-countered heroes to make this game less like rock-paper-scissors.

Just delete Brig and I’ll come back full time.

To me, I think Blizzard needs to give overwatch an identity. If you look through the forums you see multiple types of players. You see pve/lore demands, you see Competitive, you see Casual, etc… The game marketed itself to a bunch of different types of players and Blizzard has tried to make overwatch something for all those people. Now you see the lag in content across the different types of players because devs have too many types of players they are trying to keep hooked.

They need to figure out what type of game they want overwatch to be. If that means they want a competitive e-sport style game or a totally casual game they need to start making it that. At the end of the day yes they will lose players but they are doing that now.

1 Like

No, they can’t balance the game as it now, doubling the heroes would make it worse.

On top of that, it really makes a hero release less special if it’s happening twice as much.

No not drastic at all, it’s a realistic idea that seemingly no company wants to do. I can see why my job wouldn’t want to as we have seasonal openings meaning we only net a profit 6 months out of the year, but for a multi billion dollar company like Blizzard or any game publishing company, it shouldn’t be an issue. Maximizing profit is important, maximizing profit at the expense of quality and employee comfort is not.

Save overwatch? Dunno, at this point i fear it may not be salvageable

none the less, These are my mayor threads attempting to save the game:

Lets try to fix the game (Hero balance)
Lets try to fix mercy
Lets try to fix the Tutorials
Lets try to fix Custom Games
Lets try to fix competitive play
CTF rework idea
Anti-Goats hero
Entire Core gameplay
Hero concept Lab
Skill doesnt matter
Aim Is not the only skill

Dunno if i missed any

But i did my part

1 Like

So basically QP VS Comp VS Arcade? I’m not sure I understand what more you’d want.
Casual experience of “pro play” is QP, goofing off is in the arcade, taking the game seriously is comp. People who queue for comp to play casually are wrong, and vice versa.

Custom game maker / finder?

No. People just farm in custom games. Community content isn’t going to keep anyone in the game.

How should i say this…its not the traditional sunken cost fallacy in a sense that they can still earn cash from it BUT because they seem to be overly concentrating on making OWL a continous thing that takes its toll on OW. The more resources are getting pulled from OW to OWL the worse the game will be.

Things what are good to watch are not necessearly good to play with or against and if OW itself flops that takes out OWL too.

By continuing pushing cash into OWL blizzard is technically wasting their money away for temporal gains when the whole thing could be constant gains from both.

Community content is what literally kept TF2 alive for THIS long

its clearly helping,

OW isn’t TF2. you can just go play that one at any time.

Look at all the hero concepts the community has created and all of the maps, and that stuff

Imagine if they could do that in-game

that would revive this game easily

I think the main issue is people had / have the misguided perception that this game at any point was intended to offer a casual experience like Fortnite does. It was designed as an esport and has remained an esport, they just didn’t market it that way originally as the OWL infrastructure was not public upon the game’s launch. They had to build interest and a following & let people learn how to play before throwing a brand new ‘international’ eports organization at us for a game no one had learned how to play yet…
The game’s systems and statistic analytics have placed us all on their internal matchmaking ladder & only improving your own gameplay can change your rank - forcing a competitive ecosystem by default - one with the illusion of organic progress.

I can count the actually good ones on the fingers of my hand.

OW is not really the type of game that can benefit from it. The new maps already looks amazing. It is not really what the game is lacking.

I’d quite like the event pve modes to stop disappearing. Those are fun because you can just have a laugh with your mates.

The alternative is to play 5-dps and die outside spawn in quickplay or be shouted at in comp for dropping a barrier 2 feet away from where some clown would’ve preferred it.

1 Like

Ok, I really do believe I have the answer to your question and I hope that the devs take the time to read this response.

There are 3 major things that need to happen if they want to not only inject new life into the game, but also have that hype and new massive player base sustain.

1. Go Free to Play.

Overwatch is basically 3 years old now. Sales have declined and most sales nowadays are most likely just current pc players purchasing smurf accounts, or console players buying their first pc account to transfer. This isn’t a growth in players even if it is proft. By going free 2 play they are going to definitely bring in a massive new group of players, especially on the console side of things as many would finally decide to give it a try and I know they’d end up hooked like most are. But going free to play and relying on loot box sales isn’t enough to sustain.

1. Console Esports scene.

This is an area that Blizzard should really learn from Epic. Fortnite isn’t only successful and sustaining a massive player base because it is a fun game that’s kept fresh with new content regularly. But because the millions of console players that don’t want to play on PC for financial, or preference reasons still see an opportunity to go pro if they work hard enough and practice long enough.

They play in online tournaments sanctioned by epic, and through independent websites to win real money or a chance to be in the pro tournaments. Even if they’ll never actually be good enough, and as we’ve seen only a small handful of console players even get good enough to do this, the opportunity is there and so they will play their hearts out and dedicate more time to it, and to the esports scene far more than they otherwise would.

(not to mention this combined with free to play means a larger player base who’s more dedicated and thus want those amazing skins faster and will spend more on loot boxes to get them :wink: )

1. Hero Bans.

There’s been a lot of talk about this lately and for good reason. Allowing teams the opportunity to protect a specific hero, and make sure they don’t have to play against a certain hero would make matches so much more enjoyable and it would prevent so much toxicity.

(Imagine being able to say you don’t want to play against an amazing widowmaker on Kings row, or can eliminate the possibility of a Bastion on Junkertown? Or a symettra, on any map… j/k haha)

But in all seriousness a hero ban system has proven to be great for similar games with different ability heroes and I think it would be nothing but good for Overwatch and it’s future as well.

That’s all for now guys. And hey, that’s just one guys opinion. Maybe it’s cause I’m bias, but I happen to think it’s a good one. :wink:

1 Like

I don’t know if anything -can- save Overwatch. I think we’re seeing more general fatigue stemming from an inherently flawed concept.

But the first and most important thing would be to get a new dev team. Everything they’ve done over the past year has been one mistake after another, and every subsequent patch just made the game tangibly worse.

IF Overwatch can survive, it will need a team that will put in the effort, analyse problems, tailor solutions to those problems, be creative, be inventive, be willing to experiment and go overboard and be focused on making the game enjoyable.

The current team is unbelievably reluctant to go outside their comfort zone in terms of designs and apply radical new gameplay elements (Ashe completely displacing McCree, Hanzo getting a ‘turn into McCree’ button for a solution, ‘supports can only heal’ mentality), doesn’t analyse problems (Symmetra rework made her issues more pronounced, it didn’t resolve them. Reaper buff did not help him in the ways it was meant to.), and so often causes collateral damage with downright stupid fixes… (Brig release, Hanzo scatter arrow rework, Reaper now oppressive in lower ranks)