No Aim =/= No Skill (revived)

This is a post from the old forums.i had, i feel like this would be important to share here, to kill off this mindset finally

To all those whathever mains out there that think that aim = skill, sorry but your wrong

You see, Aiming is only 1 of many skills needed in overwatch, examples of others beeing:

-Situational Awarness

• Positioning
  • Tactics
  • Engage / disengage
  • Teamwork
  • Callouts
  • There are also multiple types of aim, Planting, flicking, Tracking, Leading, Etc
    Different characters require different aiming skills too

This is a team based, First person shooter / Moba hybrid game

Characters have different skill sets required for them, some more important than others

You have pure aim characters like widow, S76,

You have more positioning characters like bastion or torbjorn

You have tactical characters like symmetra, or mei

You have teamwork characters like rein or orisa

You have flankers that need to know how to engage and disengage like genji or tracer

You have healers who are essential to your teams survival, more dependant on awareness / positioning more than aim

You have more spammy nature characters like Junkrat

And more and more

Its time for.people to understand that the characters that are not super aim reliant need skill; its just a different type of skill,

Tl ; dr aiming isnt everything, this isnt call of duty,this is overwatch,

That junkrat that “needs no skill, he’s just spamming” is actually making use of his character, hes not just shooting in a random direction, he knows your most likely going to pass through there and suffer by his spam

That symmetra that “didnt need to aim to kill you” carefully planned that engagement, and decided the best time to attack you, and it worked

That torbjorn positioned his turret in a way that it supresses you, making you unable to engage
all characters need skill, they are just less/more reliant on certain skills, while widowmaker requires positioning, shes not extremely reliant on is since she can always escape with her grapple than lets >say a torb
This should be common sense by now

EDIT:

If your about to say “Literally every character requires the skills you mentioned and has to aim”

Well, Yeah, but what im trying to say is that they require them to a lesser degree than lets say torbjorn, Who in order to unlock his value at his full potential he needs to position a turret in a good place and fight, Otherwise it will be destroyed quickly

97 Likes

That’s not what’s the DPS mains want to hear :wink:

37 Likes

Im a dps main too and i dont mind it :stuck_out_tongue:

13 Likes

So Soldier 76 is the hardest hero in the game?

He requires both Tracking / Hitscan Aim AND Projectile leading and requires everything else on the list.

12 Likes

He doesnt need projectile leading to the same degree lets say a torbjorn due to his primary fire, 76 only has to lead a.super fast projectile every 10 seconds,

Or awareness like a mccree, since soldier has a little bit more forgiveness on his kit due to having infinite mobility and a self heal

Its not only the skills but how much of them needed, and at what degree and how forgiving the kit is when not using them correctly

13 Likes

You know what my biggest peeve is? When people talk about how autolock heroes are “brainless” and “doesn’t take skill” it’s always about Mercy, Symmetra and now it’s about Moira. No one every talks about our favorite peanut butter loving gorilla. Like literally noone talks about Winston. He has the potential to deal 360DPS to the enemy team.

I’m not saying that Winston is brain dead. I wish people looked at other non-aim heroes like they looked at Winston.

22 Likes

To be skilled does not mean that you only have good aim, it takes a lot of things. Some characters require less aim yet it does not mean they do not require skill at all. The case of Symmetra for example, she does require skill but not in the Aiming point of view, you need to have skill in positioning and using the terrain in your favor and also being good at hiding your teleporters and placing good barriers. The same with bastion, he might be forgiving with his aim but if you are badly positioned that will cost your life, sounds stupid but good positioning and the right moment requires a lot of practice. Last example, Reaper might not need the amount of good aim that for example widowmaker needs but you need skill to know when to engage and when is the right moment to unleash your deathblossom.

All characters require skill in diferent aspects, i just find it stupid when some people come to the forums with that tone of superiority saying “This character needs way more skill than this one”, misscrediting other players. If that character is that easy as you say then i challenge them to get to master playing with them.

4 Likes

But what people dont realize is that the autolock heroes always do the same damage no matter what you do

And the aim reliant heroes can increase their dps with headshots

So their more reliant on other stuff, they have to think through what their gonna do since they cant increase their damage by natural means

Again different kits

And probably everyone ignores winston since hes meta

6 Likes

Yeah I know. What I’m saying is people recognize Winston as a hero that requires other forms of skill outside of aim, but this doesn’t seem to extend to other heroes who are called brainless simply because they use weapons that don’t require aim.

7 Likes

Yep, couldnt have said it better

Its time for people to get this

1 Like

I prefer != myself…

3 Likes

God dammit everyone always questions my titles >.>

4 Likes

Also, people don’t seem to realize that no-aim characters like Mercy, Moira (to some degree), Winston, etc. have kits like they do in order to bring out the most in their role.

Mercy is supposed to be full on healing (damage boost as well but mostly healing) so giving her a beam the locks on to teammates is how she needs to work.

Ana needs to heal (she desperately needs a buff), but she is also meant to debuff enemies with her grenade and sleep dart, so her kit works around buffs and debuffs instead of pure healing.

Moira is a healer that also requires DPS to refill her healing meter. She requires a large amount of resource management to keep her team alive while also helping to disrupt characters that are susceptible to her (i.e. Genji). Her beam is a semi-lock on beam (somewhere between Zarya and Symmetra) with long range that allows her to get damage in so she can heal her team. Her kit is built around helping both sides of the spectrum, but she needs some of these strong abilities in order to do her job.

Winston is a tank, but he also jumps into the enemy team and helps disrupt squishies in the back line. He is given a no-aim Tesla Cannon because his kit only provides him with an escape and a shield. D.Va is another Tank disruptor but that’s not her only job. She is very good at taking damage Winston can’t always handle. And while Winston can leap away, he’s more predictable in the air. D.Va can juke back and forth with her jets and make herself a harder target to hit. She also has more survivability, making her weapon an aim-reliant and Winston’s not is how you balance their roles and survivability while also providing enough diversity as not to make them too similar.

1 Like

Aim isn’t the only skill, but it’s still a skill and one of the hardest ones to perfect at that.

I think these forums are too dismissive of aiming in general just because of the aim elitists who make it seem like aiming is the only thing that matters.

3 Likes

Magy are you kidding me? That was a 8 pages long discussion in the old forums, where any possible opinion has already been posted there.

This thread was not created for the sake of discussion, but to farm likes.

For now get my first :-1: in these forums!

5 Likes

I personally think that awareness and positioning are just as hard or more to master, because its easy to tell when you aim well but not easy to tell when your in a good position or your aware of your sorroundings

@Night

There could always be more opinions and more people could see it here!

It wasnt created to farm likes but to spread the awareness of this topic!

4 Likes

Hence why I said “one of” and not “the”.

Awareness and positioning are definitely up there as well; I’m not trying to deny that. But aiming is also up there despite the anti-aim mob saying mechanical skill is irrelevant.

2 Likes

Aim is one of those skills you either have or you don’t (to a certain extent). All those other skills can be learned much easier than pure mechanical skill.

for me game awareness is gets you far in overwatch
being able to predict enemy movement, time your ult in response and call out what to expect so your team can prepare for it is what gets you far

when mercy reigned supreme i spend most of my time when playing her calling out flankers, and instead if saying smth like ‘theres a hanzo on the right’
try asking someone to deal with that hanzo on the right, this way you directly address someone and you wont have your entire team give up space to get hanzo

count enemy ults, warn your team what to expect next, when you see your team stack too much take distance and warn them theyre grav fodder etc

even if youre a rag tag of supp mains in one team, coordination and prediction brings you far and being able to counter pushes effectively is valueable af

Awareness about what? Overwatch is doomed to have this conflict because It’s player base comes from rts, moba, mmo and hns games. It’s not a matter of opinion like nerf/boost threads, neither it is a dynamic topic. I’ll repost my opinion later, but for now I suggest you to check Sinatraa vs XQC tracer duel in YouTube. XQC mains Winston, right? Check his aim tho. Aim (like it or not) requires several criteria to be acquired.

Edit: Stupid autocorrect