"Ranked Leaver Penalty Adjustment" (UPDATED #2)

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/patch-notes/

Only took 3 years and it’s probably still not enough.

[Update] Added the adjusted times here: "Ranked Leaver Penalty Adjustment" (UPDATED #2) - #14 by Eyevou-1808

[Update 2] Leaver forgiveness seems to still be the same at somewhere between 5 and 15 games.

7 Likes

Did this just happen?!

It did, you can check out the patch notes here:

1 Like

Any word on what they are though? I saw it in the patch notes but it’s so vague. The only way to find out is to either leave a game or find out from someone else who leaves/DC’s

1 Like

Probably don’t want to spell it out so people don’t say “I can leave 5 games before a ban so I’ll keep count and leave 5 when I want to make someone lose”

3 Likes

I guess it’s less important for me to know for convenience sake than it is for a leaver/troll to know for inconvenience sake, but it’ll be found out soon enough either way.

2 Likes

Why do you feel like this ?

2 Likes

I feel like this as well. From my perspective when seasons were shortened into 2 month blocks leaver penalties should have been instantly adjusted to reflect the shorter season.

Instead they kept the same penalty and it became a little too generous to allow so many leaves in a short time.

3 Likes

The only problem I have is determining the difference between DC legit and purposeful.

On the other hand though, DCing or not, you’re ruining the competitive experience for your team.

Get disowned…

Season long bans are okay by me…

1 Like

I really think how it works should be public. If I have one internet glitch, I’ll do a new match in 10 minutes. But if it only takes 2 leaves to cut me out of the season, there’s no way in hell I’m playing competitive for the rest of the night, at least not without playing arcade for a bit or something, just to see if the internet is stable.

So, effectively, by not publicizing it they are potentially penalizing people who don’t leave on purpose, without them knowing the rules in any way.

A handful of times I’ve also accidentally forgotten I was queued because a family member started a conversation with me while I grabbed a drink. I come back, and I’m banned. So it’d be nice, as a paying customer, to know up front how that works.

2 Likes

it’s easy to fake a DC though. Just unplug your network cable or hold the power button on your PC for an instant shutdown.

3 Likes
1 Like

I mean I guess it’s good that they’re more severe? This just makes the time more of a hassle, it doesn’t do much more to actually discourage leaving.

1 Like

I sacrificed an alt account and the punishments are as follows:

NEW:

OLD:

meaning that they reduced the number of disconnects you can have by 1 before being suspended for a season. Overall the “season ban” COULD happen 5hr 25mins faster.

Side note: There is no change in the SR penalty. It’s still 50.

16 Likes

Now just remove the sr penalty and make cell phone verification to play competitive and the leaver system will be much better.

3 Likes

Lol, i was ready to test it myself today. You saved one of my accounts.

4 Likes

Me on console with infinate accounts:

'TIS BUT A FLESH WOUND

5 Likes

You can’t LEAVE, this is a video game! Why would you ever want to quit a match?!

I know, right!? When you started playing Overwatch you signed a contract that says you will never leave a match, ever, under any circumstances, and you are required to have a 5-hour UPS and business-class fiber Internet with a dedicated cell data fallback. Best have buffered ECC memory and RAID 0+1, too, don’t take any risks!

I used to have a friend who missed his 10-minute DPS queue because he had to answer the door to accept an important delivery. The next day, the Blizzard hit squad showed up and beat the hell out of him in front of his wife and kids, then stole his car, and put him on a video game blacklist that spans three subsequent generations.

You NEVER leave a match, ever. Even Hitler didn’t leave matches. Let’s up the punishment to public execution!

6 Likes

Before, there was also a “finishing 10 game = one penalty level decrease” policy. For e.g.: you have left 3 games in a row which induces a 2-hour ban. Then you finish 20 games (without leaving) and leave a game again. Now your penalty would be 30 mins cuz your “penalty level” is decreased by two (finishing 20 games). Not sure if this policy still applies to the new penalty system.

1 Like