Have they changed the penalties for "leaving"?

TL;DR:
Forced Win 10 update causes me to “leave” for 2 minutes, returned to the match, played over 5 minutes, won and got a -50 SR penalty. Did not experience this the last time I “left” (2 or 3 years ago). Has this been changed to penalize you anyways even if you came back?

Long version:
Just recently I was in a competitive match (Dorado). We started on the attack side and we pushed it to the end with 3 minutes remaining. And then it was time for the Defense round and during the hero selection screen my laptop powers off and forcibly installs a Windows 10 update (even though I always pause them). I know that isn’t important but I decided to include it for context because I have no reason to deliberately leave a winnable game.
Point is that I still managed to return to the match (enemy pushed past first checkpoint and there were 5 minutes left). We did lose the second checkpoint (adding a minute and 30 seconds) but managed to hold them off from the 3rd and thus winning the game.
I did not get the SR for the win. Instead I was penalized -50 SR and banned, despite returning to the game, and winning it and as an extra getting POTG from that round.

I have not played Competitive, having taken very long breaks, so this is the first time I “leave” a game in a while. Before if I “left” and returned and played long enough, regardless of the outcome of the match, I was not getting penalized, unless I returned too late (I’ve had instances of getting disconnected before the end of a game and returning just second before the victory/defeat screen).

My question (to you) is: has it been changed so that if you leave, you get penalized regardless if you return and played long enough?
Because I have to ask myself - should I bother returning and try to make it up to my team by trying to win at the cost of my time and nerves (depends), since I’m going to be penalized anyways, or be the worse person and not bother at all and ruin it for them and risk getting suspended for sabotage.

I have saved the replay if anyone needs proof (most likely won’t be necessary). This is what I gathered:
I was gone for ~2 minutes and 10 seconds (over the 2 minute mark before other players can leave.) This includes the setup phase. Before if I was gone for 2 minutes and returned, I did not get penalized. I’m mentioning this in case this was the change.
I have played for ~6 minutes and 40 seconds after the return.
The match was 15 minutes and 5 seconds.

If you are gone for 2 minutes or more you receive the penalty regardless of the game’s outcome. It has been this way for years.

1 Like

To expand on this: you will lose 50 SR on the role you played, and 10 SR each on the other two.

Leaver penalties have changed significantly in the past year.

There was a decrease in the amount of time it takes for someone to get a season ban, the AFK timer has been adjusted, participation-based game ending was introduced(if someone leaves within the first min of a match but they do ANY damage or healing the match won’t end), and more importantly you’ll almost always be given a suspension if you’re gone from a match for any sufficient amount of time.

In your case if you’re gone longer than a minute or two it’s probably best to just forfeit that match and “gg next” as the kids say. You can go back and play if you want, might even win, but it won’t be for your sake.

and yes, you lose SR on all roles(-50 for that role, -10 for others) if you get a suspension.

The whole system has been made more punishing because leavers and AFK have been a very annoying problem.

This is my research on the new leaver penalties:

Wyoming Myst confirmed the changes to the leaver situation but I can’t be bothered to find the post in their billion or so other replies since then, so please take my word for it.

1 Like