Overwatch Contenders / League 2022 Schedule - Earn Skins

Update #26

Still missing : Kiriko, Junker Queen, Soujorn (OWL Finals + Tokens)

and the recent contenders skins! ! !

1 Like

No one officially stated the Sojourn skin would be in the first January patch. We know there’s a Lunar New Year patch coming next Tuesday (1/17) which could contain the skin.

Who is “he”? What are you referencing here?

Technically :nerd_face:, one person had reported getting the Collegiate spray back when the event was still live, and that they were able to validate it shortly after their 2 hours of viewership, as intended. I also witnessed someone else report (through Discord with screenshot) their spray unlock back when the event was live.

Granted, everyone else in this thread (and that Discord I mentioned), as well as everyone in this Bug Report thread, were actively working toward earning that spray, and did not see it unlock.

2 Likes

I’m that person with it. But it’s still strange how barely anyone else has it.

As for Sojourn’s skin, they did officially state that Sojourn’s skin will be available in early January, now it’s mid-January.

I’m still not sure where this “early January” reference is coming from. This tweet, from my understanding, was the only confirmation that Sojourn was being delayed to January. They didn’t specify when in January.

I speculated back on the 1st that the skin wasn’t showing up until the larger Lunar New Year patch on Tuesday (1/17).

Granted, the Battle for Olympus on (1/5) was fairly substantial, as they managed to squeeze the Path to Pro player icon and spray in that patch. They also opened the Competitive CTF (normally included with Lunar New Year) a week ahead of the seasonal event (1/10), so there have been some patches where the skin could have potentially been introduced.

1 Like

Been hit or miss with validating. Made a ticket to show proof of viewership back in 2020 along with the missing Hanzo Contenders and Sorjourn and they gave me a 72 hour boot for trying to correct them that it was a YouTube issue after they kept saying they couldn’t do anything since it was a Twitch issue. Not sure who runs Blizzard support or their drop promotions, since they never tend to go right in the first place.

1 Like

I’m nixing the support in your quote because I’ve had minimal interactions with them and cannot speak on the matter.

For drops, there was a glorious time from early 2020 to July 2022 where all drops worked smoothly, without any issues that couldn’t be chalked off as user error. There was a brief issue when YouTube first started, and there were occasional hiccups with Contenders content for some, but it more or less worked as expected.

In August 2022, they started their account merging stuff in preparations for OW2, which I speculate was what broke drops for just one weekend, and those points were restored before the following weekend (either Tues or Wed). Drops continued to work as expected up until their biggest promotion: The Playoffs/Grand Finals (more like Play-oofs).

So I wouldn’t say they “never tend to go right in the first place.” They had a fairly strong record for a couple of years and just ran into a huge problem on their biggest promo at the height of new player/viewer adoption/retention. Lots of questions and confusion among the viewers, followed by minimal communication to mitigate the anxiety and worry among the community.

In the original tracking thread, issues were at least moderated by a forum MVP with some semblance of reach to the Overwatch team to relay issues when they got big enough to warrant it, and they were consistently in the forums to reassure folks when there wasn’t any other direct communication from Blizzard. We don’t have a forum MVP anymore, so it’s just a bit more chaotic when things go sideways.

1 Like

Last point exactly. You were able to at least contact Blizzard support via phone call years ago, then have at least a chat option available when needing support, but now you cannot even have that option anymore as you can only submit a ticket, and even then half of my responses were automated replies in regards to Twitch drops. As for the early 2020 to July 2022, there was an issue with the Mercy skin drop for Contenders in which they put out a response that they were going to reissue the drop event a few months later as numerous amounts of people were missing the Mercy skin.

Mercy and Symmetra were the first earnable skins through viewership, so they could be chalked off as growing pains for the delivery system.

Specifically, the original viewing hour requirements were 7 and 15 hours, not the 5 and 10 hours we’re now accustomed to. In addition, the promotion started on October 15, 2020, giving viewers only half the month to earn those first two skins. In the later matches of October 2020, some of the hours failed to record, so they made a second chance to earn Symmetra and Mercy again in December 2020 by watching 18 and 20 hours, respectively, after earning Junkrat (7 hours) and Zenyatta (15 hours).

I recall earning those skins back in October, and not needing to stress about re-earning them in December, but there was a large enough response from the community due to the final broadcast hours of October not recording, the narrow earning window, and the skin being tied to one of the most popular heroes in Overwatch.

1 Like

Does anyone know what’s gonna happen to Chinese OWL teams and their skins now?

Well, my speculation was incorrect. Blizzard technically has 2 weeks to deploy a patch that includes the Sojourn OWL skins. Maybe the Jan 31 patch that ends the event will bring it, leaving it technically in January? haha.

If I were to go out on a limb, I’d bet they see the skins deploying fine in test builds, and they’re just as baffled as us when it doesn’t go live from deploying the same build that’s in test.

No idea, but I would trust Blizzard not mentioning anything about it.

Confirming here that OWL gray/white Sojourn skins are active in-game after today’s patch.

Items that have still not been provided:

• 35 OWL tokens from watching full 7-hour Calling All Heroes broadcast
  • Collegiate Spray unlock from watching 2+ hours of the 3 Collegiate Homecoming broadcasts
4 Likes

Took a few months, but we got there! OWL Sojourn is in and we can close the book on OWL 2022 Finals rewards.

Looks like I need to check if I finally got my grand finals rewards. Not holding my breath.
EDIT: Nope! Still nothing!

1 Like

Still missing the Hanzo Contenders skin

I am still missing my Collegiate Spray. However it has been months now so I doubt they’ll ever fix it :frowning:

3 Likes

Didn’t get to confirm in here as well too, but got the Sojourn OWL skins.

Still no CAH tokens or the Collegiate spray.

1 Like

Ok holy crap, they did finally add OWL Sojourn skins. Sure took them a while.

Still no 35 WOL tokens from “calling all heroes”. I’ll be fine even with 15 dammit.

Yep, I got Sojourn skins finally, still no spray or tokens from December event.

1 Like

Love that Blizzard support’s best answer to anyone submitting a ticket is to post here.

Also Blizzard support: never checks the forums or posts.