[Main Thread] Applying Update

Never left a competitive game since season 4 of OW1, first game today and I get the “applying update” bug, banned for 15 minutes, then the next game I have my wifi disconnect and then I’m banned for an hour. I guess I wont play overwatch.

1 Like

Greetings Everyone,

Our team is currently investigating this problem, In the meantime, please try these steps to see if they help:

Join the practice range to pick up the update. Please enter this mode before every game play session. Please also check that things are working by entering a quick play game before trying Competitive.

4 Likes

This has happened to me twice now. I’ve never left a comp game in my life, and this is giving my account a bad standing.

6 Likes

This is NOT fixed, I already created a ticket for this 3 days ago and was basically told “We can’t do anything, stop playing comp for now”. Well it was going fine but it just happened again and this is my SECOND one hour suspension, at this rate I’m going to get a season ban and all you have to say is that “there’s nothing you can do”? If that is truly the case then get your devs to actually change the system to see intentional vs unintentional leaves. Because if I (and clearly lots of others) am going to get season banned from basically the one mode I play because of a problem on YOUR end, then why would I even want to support your game or your company and actually give you money? The first time was annoying and confusing, the second time was frustrating. But this is the third suspension (second 1 hour) and at this rate I’ll be uninstalling this game due to not being able to even play. Honestly pathetic dev work and pathetic forum support from you guys, fix ur game already and figure out how to revoke people’s bans

5 Likes

It is rather strange how the SR refund mechanic had existed but there are so few records of it, let alone an official explanation or introduction of it. We should absolutely demand that this mechanic be introduced for the rest of us players as well for these system bugs.

1 Like

Thousands of players have had their accounts falsely suspended and banned, sometimes permanently, due to the disconnections caused by this Applying Update bug. Will these players be appropriately compensated for this error? Here are a few other major threads regarding this issue:

8 Likes

everytime im trying to play a game its always applying update and cant ever get into the game bizz pls fix this so i can play the game

Yep, just worked a 12 hour shift, logged in to play Comp, banned for 8 hours… goodbye Overwatch… guess I’ll stop buying every battlepass and quit playing altogether.

5 Likes

Please fix the issue of falsely banning
Read this forum in bug fix: Falsely Banned Accounts

Please take a 4 min of your time and read this forum : Falsely Banned Accounts

I just got the applying update bug hit me right now (alt account). Only 15 minutes but it’s still crap to see.

This has happened to me 2 times out of the last 4 games ive attempted to load into its straight bs i cannot even play the game w/o being punished

Almost all of the topics in this board is about this problem. Blizzard… :rofl:

This game is so bad lmfao

2 Likes

a lot of people are about to get a perm ban if they get another lock out, so nice to see a work around but if it fails its a ban so no ty .

This has happened to me twice and I’m now banned for an hour. I have never left a competitive game and it’s not good enough that we’re all being banned for something you can’t control. This needs to be fixed and looked into

1 Like

Just got the error for the second time as well, there has been no news on a fix as far as I have seen, guess maybe we will get lucky and a fix will drop halfway through this season when they do their one update before the next season.

Same error both yesterday and today. Now I’m up to a 1h suspension… As a person that never quits, this really is a low blow. Getting a penalty for something I would never do.

Typical Blizzard answer. Yes they can do something about it. Their bug is affecting a lot of people, they are bound to fix it and revert wrong penalties. And don’t tell me they can’t update some freaking values in their database on players profiles. I don’t believe a word of it. They’re just unwilling and that’s a real shame to read responses like this. It’s basically like saying: « yeah we screwed up, deal with it and please get lost »

1 Like

The “Applying update” bug that hangs forever happens quite often for me. This is particularly an issue when I’m entering a comp game as it will result in a suspension that I have no control over. I’m worried that players like me are going to end up with their accounts banned just for a technical issue we can’t control. The long and short of it is, never overturning bans/suspensions for any reason is a bad policy. If the game was perfect it would be a good policy, but the game isn’t perfect, the game makes mistakes, you can’t have a zero tolerance policy for something the game itself causes.

2 Likes