Brigitte Gameplay Q&A with Geoff Goodman

Why wouldn’t you just play a ranged dive comp and completely eliminate her effectiveness by denying her ability to heal? Assuming she kicks Tracer out of the meta (which I doubt and picking her sacrifices Lucio and Zen), you could just counterpick her with Soldier, Pharah, and Widow and just kite her really hard.
Unless tank comps are suddenly insanely strong, I feel like the meta could shift to more diverse dive comps with Brigitte solidifying deathball in deathball-favored maps.

Thank you for all of your work to keeping OW fresh and exciting! Where do you see the game going in the next few months to continue to make it fresh and new???

Have you ever explored/considered a wallclimbing hero that can actually walk along walls and ceilings like a spider?

2 Likes

With respect to balance, how does the team balance a character between the chaos of soloq and the organized team environment of pugs/contenders/OWL?

On Brigitte’s ultimate, and how it grants permanent armor: There were some concerns during the PTR that this sets up snowballing on some maps (2CP attack, especially). Has this been thought about during development? Has it been tuned at all since inception?

Crowd control effects are always somewhat contentious, even internally for us. Overall I think the game is healthier having these mechanics in the game, especially since it can allow us to have heroes such as Tracer who are particularly weak to stun effects.

Rest assured, every time we are working on a hero that involves a crowd control effect we being very careful to make sure the game doesn’t devolve into too many CC effects.

36 Likes

Are you looking at other character adjustments other than Reaper/Mei/Hanzo in the near future? How can Brigitte affect some character buffs and nerfs?

Why is Tracer the only hero who has never been nerfed or buffed? Just curious!

Also, cant wait to play Brigette!

3 Likes

How many heroes will OW have when it’s all said and done???

What you guys will do if brigitte dont change the meta on the OWL?

Is not fun watch almost all owl matchs dive vs dive.

Release the Brigette! super excited! btw, why can’t Winston carry two Tesla cannons? he’s super strong and I mean double the pleasure, double the fun! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’ve tried to bite my tongue over this, but those heroes like Tracer and Genji who are “weak” when hit by stun effects, are also by their nature of being highly mobile also best able to avoid them; which in turn makes those stun effects in turn ‘weak’ against them.

6 Likes

For the Sombra vs Brigette matchup
Hack/EMP turns off everything except her passive and the armor gained.

Are you guys monitoring that to see how it plays out.
If there any tweaks coming to that.

Wouldn’t buffing Bastion help with this as he is supposed to counter tanks but more often than not they’re countering him instead?

(totally biased :3)

3 Likes

To be honest, its pretty hard to tell right now. We’ve actually gotten a lot of mixed feedback on her from all levels of play, as far as how powerful she is. The level design stuff is something we’ve been looking at a lot recently as well, as we agree there are some maps that certainly lend themselves to dive. We don’t have a specific goal to kill dive all together, but we agree it would be nice to see more diversity in the meta in general.

54 Likes

With more AoE healing and armor being put into the game, are there design spaces that are now cut off for future heroes because it would be too overpowered when paired with those mechanics?

What other existing mechanics present a lot of trouble when designing new heroes or maps?

1 Like

What made you come up with Brigitte, and how did you design her abilities?

Brigitte is very interesting and she looks like fun. How is her release going to impact the game as a whole?

Widow is very unfun to play against. In gm the game goes to the team with the uncontested widow.

1 Like

that seems like it’s by design. tracer and genji need to be within stun range to do their job. if they had no ways of playing around, say, flashbang, they’d be completely useless. especially since flash is a very easy ability to land.

if there is enough generous cc in the enemy team, the risk of playing a flanker isn’t worth the reward since the windows of opportunity you get are so incredibly small, unless you’re actually a god.

Awesome I agree as well