Whoops, somebody let CC get out of hand

What Geoff said back in March:

Jeff’s stance now:

Players have been complaining about an overabundance of stun and knockback abilities in the game ever since shield-bash-happy Brigitte destabilized the meta at the start of the year, and Kaplan said these complaints are “real” and “accurate.”

It’s-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-theme.wav

I’m curious about what they’re going to do to resolve the situation. I assume merely adding in more non-CC heroes won’t solve it in a timely manner. I hope we see the CC reduction we’re seeing in Doomfist spread to other heroes.

3 Likes

Maybe an anti-cc hero in four months? Idk, I am just waiting for our current new hero to hit live.

One new hero doesn’t solve this issue. The other heroes will still be bad. The issue with CC or silence is how it disproportionately effects different heroes and classes.

Tanks draw tons of damage just existing. Any amount of CC or silence and they die. Supports can’t duo pocket a tank through an entire team throwing damage at them when CC makes them vulnerable.

Having CC and silence mechanics is fine. The issue is when these mechanic become too powerful and plentiful. It wouldn’t surprise me to see Blizzard push a 50% reduction of CC/silence effects against tanks live.

When the front line can’t stay in the fight, supports and DPS suffer too.

1 Like

It might though. If their entire kit is anti-cc, it could definitely solve the issue.

The problem then becomes, how do they deal with the fact that tanks don’t need buffs? They’re presently nerfing the CC of Doomfist, one of the few viable non-goats elements, whilst CC is built to hurt tanks.

I guess maybe that’s where the buffs to shooter heroes comes into play, and the comparative strengths of Ashe compared to what S76 and McCree traditionally had.

Jeff also said:

I always think of the type of game Overwatch is—competitive 6v6 action shooter

so maybe they’re going to make the middle ranged heroes useful again to combat it. So we can all go back to shooting in this shooter…

2 Likes

Not really, it creates a must pick hero. The ability to give team wide CC resistance would be OP. It would force a certain meta as well. Blizzard is better off readjusting older heroes to be able to handle the issue over betting on a new hero.

The Doomfist nerfs are pretty misguided. The uppercut change is okay but the other is bad. It feels like their trying to cater to community demands instead of focusing on balance.

Tanks do need buffs. Tanks are so weak in 2-2-2 comps right now, but they can’t be properly balanced because they work so well in 3-3 comps.

Further buffs to DPS wont solve the issues either. I fully expect Blizzard to implement role Q soon and not far behind that role limits per team.

I don’t like the idea of forced 2-2-2 but that’s where the game is headed at this point. On the bright side hero balance should drastically improve.

Right, but they already did that when they released Brig to counter dive on her own. It is the same thing and there is literally a precedent for it. Like, who cares if CC is nullified almost entirely, Doom mains? Lul.

1 Like

Yes there’s a precedent but look how poorly Brigitte was received. Just because they’ve done it once doesn’t mean the will or should do it again.

A lot of heroes kit’s hinge on their CC. This is a bad choice and would send the game in a very bad direction.

Lucio cares.

One question. Is there any anti cc champion in LoL? Show does that work?

CC is okay. All we need is some sort of immunity and sligh tweaks to it, there should be way more “soft CC” than hard ones (hard = making ur hero unplayable for X time).