CDC #7 - Calling the Gamechangers

Okay so I don’t know HOW in depth you want to go with the theme of something new but I had this idea in the back of my head, I posted a bit of a draft to the forums earlier today for another hero and I think her inclusion could fit
“This can prove that the devs are willing to push beyond what the heroes have shown to do and alter as needed opening up new avenues and new heroes previously thought unusable”

I
Edit: Okay so I just read the schtick about examples and so far it looks like both my ideas are out at least in their current form
I do have one other idea. well more of a Mechanic but this one is going to be real tricky to balance
The concept is simple
“Micro’ing minions”
take this concept and build a hero with some resemblance to Abatheur around it.
do you guys think this one could work?

1 Like

I’m joining in, too. I got a stroke of inspiration and figured this was a good theme to sink my teeth into. I’ll hopefully have it done by tomorrow.

Hello everyone! I’d just like to make a post clarifying the rules again and some problems I see with the concepts already posted. Since I’m judging Week 1, I want to give everyone a chance to work out some rule-oriented problems before it can hurt their score.

First of all, concepts submitted for CDC are supposed to be completely and new original concepts, created specifically for the CDC. If you made a concept before the contest started, you cannot submit it to the contest; to CVA, your Antonidas concept was created before the contest so it cannot qualify. If you’ve got the time you should put a new one together specifically for the contest, otherwise I’m not sure how judges should handle that rule being broken.

Second, theme is very important to the contest, with the theme this time around being a strong focus on coming up with an entirely new, game changing mechanic to build your concept around. A couple of submissions thus far have just been variations on Multiclass, which does not fit into the theme very well. If your concept falls into this trap, I’ll have to penalize it heavily in the scoring, so I’d advise changing it before it’s too late.

Finally, for a concept to be entered into the contest, you don’t just need a forum topic for it, you also MUST include a link on this page. You can either edit your original post to include the link, or create a new post with the link in it. I’ve seen a couple of CDC#7 topics posted on the forums but not linked to in this thread; if you’re one of them, please remember to add a link in! It’s a silly reason to miss the competition.

I hope that this helps everyone, and if something isn’t clear let me know and I can get back to you. I look forward to judging all of your concepts!

EDIT: Also just remembered, for people concerned about how much to submit for Week 1: all that is required is the base kit for your concept - a trait, 3 basic abilities, and 2 heroics (or, since the theme is game changing, maybe your base kit breaks these rules; that’s fine too). If your concept is a little more in-depth (for example, if secondary abilities or maybe tier 1 talents are core to the concept), feel free to but it isn’t necessary. I don’t expect a fully realized concept with a flawless kit and interesting, deep talent tree right off the bat (and I don’t know if any of us are capable of that by the last week!), so if your concept loses a bit of its specific flavor for lacking talents, just make a note of where you’re aiming to take it. That also goes in general, explaining your design reasoning can help judges see the overall cohesion and direction of a concept better, avoiding misinterpretation and possibly turning out a better score!

5 Likes

If your character introduced a way to add an RTS micro element to the game in a way that could be applied to other aspects of the game with summon management, than it could work. It would require a very delicate hand in the creation process.

Now that hurt my Narud concept big-time. It would had been a good competitor hadn’t it been for the “recycled is not allowed” rule.

No matter, I shall whip up another. It would be silly for me to throw my hat in the ring and not throw a punch.

I know your feels mate i was thinking to rework my SCV but had to go with another idea xP.

1 Like

Thinking maybe Reigel? Cause I cannot enter Swann too.

Or: Imperius, Cydaea, Sonic, Mei, Pharah, D2 Paladin, Selendis, S76, Warfield, Widowmaker, Bastion for that matter. Ouch.

I was desperate for ideas, until something hit me…Vigilante 8 character! Since Blizz is co-owned by ActiVision, who published the game and its sequel 2nd Offense. And who better for the job than…

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/heroes/t/cdc-7-gamechanger/5012j

You don’t have to call your thread Gamechanger mate might get caught by the spam filter, just do CDC then your heroes name and its easy and done for ya :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dragged one of my old concepts out because it just fits too well. Gonna take some time to finish him up, esp on talents, but I think I can make the deadline.

Oh are we posting our stuff to this thread? Alright. Here’s mine:

Guess I need to prove my metal then. This’ll be challenging but what kind of dev would I be if I shy’d away from a design challenge,
Nayway guess I’d better be off I got an idea for A’dal

I don’t think it would be a problem if you use the same character, as long as you don’t use the same concept/kit.

But better ask a judge to confirm, just in case (or just use another character anyway :stuck_out_tongue:)

Awww… too bad, unfortunately i dont have enough time to create a entire new one, due to real life conflicts… well its alright… Thank You anyway for giving me a chance… even though its kinda sad for being it that way, i guess i’ll go now, but its alright, well at least i get to see some amazing creations out there, Good Luck everyone :grin: still feel free to check it out mine guys!!! I’ll just change it up and remove the CDC…

Although i have some ideas for Alleria Windrunner, but im really in a tight sched unfortunately… Still again feel free to check out my other concepts, there all updated except for Grom… Thanks again…

OK, here’s mine (short introduction of what it is about), link will be posted on the Forum later on

Hero is a Blood-Clan-Occultist (demonic shaman, and = an outcast from his Blood-Clan/Tribe for that matter)

Named Killoran (want to use a “noname evil” name cause don’t want to hint a HUGE BOSS for you to expect, after all = he’s an outcast from a “villanish” clan/tribe after all), and second (this is the real “giveaway” of the core concept of kit) = his abilities/behavior has a bit of place for some “careful sloppyness” in his design (can also end up hurting allies at times, deliberately or not :P)

Just gonna say there’s an interesting twist to his trait and how he “makes up” for his sloppyness (and the way abilities are “interconnected”)

He’s got a one (maybe two) spells that are reused, but overall his kit is quite unique and hope you’d like it as I do

[Updated Hero Concept thread, should reflect/refresh intro here as well ? should be enough for week 1, I hope :)]

I’ve been struggling in getting a concept put together, but I’m still planning on trying to have something by the end of the week.

edit 2: OK long story short Im going with SPyro and the Fwhoor concept was literally made in 30 minutes becuse I thought the contest stage was ending within the hour.

So here is my concept. General Davis from SC2, she is a ranged bruiser able to adapt to various threats she may face.

Man, this is a touch challenge. There are so many things I wanted to put forth, from an RTS simulator to an antagonistic hero. Think I finally found one that I can work with though. I’m curious to see how it turns out, and what everyone else comes up with.

Your Spyro concept would have been applicable. Why I and many people personally don’t appreciate the idea of non-Blizzard characters getting entered into the game, it is definitely fitting under the contest theme. It fits better than the new one in my opinion, anyways.

This is and important notice to the contestants of the contest. I would like all contestants to enter an area at the top of their concept explaining why their concept fits into the contest theme. While many of you already have a spot tackling this issue, elevating and cementing it will definitely allow us to better score your Thematic scores, possibly giving you an edge. Thank you all for understanding.

1 Like