Sudden LAG on iPad Air

I had no lag (which occurs in ranked play) since the last update until today were I completed downloading assets.

It seems like its the full resolution cards, sound or animation which would be responsible for lag on this iPad Air running iOS 12.4.6.

Edit:
With download assets stoped at 4%, I played today at 3h43 GMT-5 against a rogue. He played Reno, I killed it with fireball then its secret cheat death triggered and lag started.

I can’t conclude that not downloading assets prevents all lag, but it seems to help.

Some matches are totally fine (even past turn 10) while other are very laggy… This strongly suggests that its NOT the device + iOS which are too old/slow to run the game. Why is this lag occurring? (Got a 30 mb/s download and 15 mb/s upload connection).

Yeah the lag always gets worse when a card is duplicated or resurrected from the graveyard. It’s like the game doesn’t know how to implement those mechanics without building the card from scratch.

I havent seen that with Duplicate (secret) from mage.

Edit:
I played against a rogue who played Evocation from mage class and it led to lag.

it will usually slows down when bunches of cards are made, such as when a bunch of lackeys get generated, and then generate cards from that.

Wondering if this issue could be due to the age of the SSD in the iPad. Could it be simply slower after 5 year of use?

Or since apple HDD doesn’t defragment the HDD could it be that Hearthstone lags to retrieve possibly sparsed files for a specific animation or sound?

Otherwise, could it be that the higher use of RAM to run the iOS with every updates has outpaced the possible reduction of RAM required by Hearthstone to run lag free? Thus when a “complex animation” requiring more than 1Kb? is added to the RAM it would saturate the RAM and from then the pace of the game (reading of SSD and transfer to RAM) would go faster than the CPU speed trying to catch up on one too much demanding RAM space animation that occurred previously?

If its the case, then the highest space demanding (Kb) animation should be set as the treshold when calculating the amount of RAM used by Hearthstone to minimaly run on iPad Air…

Fix for this issue will be appreciated.

Edit:
Some lag just occurred while playing against a paladin with 1000’s victory portrait named inigomontoya. Lag started occurring right at the start of the game while the cards for our 1st hand were drawn and displayed on the screen. Lag made me skip the 2 first turn then I was able to play lag free on my 3rd turn.

1 Like

Yep, you have described my experience exactly … cards generated = lag… forget about taking your mulligan

1 Like

At eight minions on the board, the lag started.

I don’t know if this reason would also explain lag in battlegrounds as the rounds progress.

Maybe adding different screen resolutions like on PC would allow to reduce lag on mobile? Would be nice too to simply reduce resolution for animation if possible at all.

Edit:
June 13 2020
Just played a game against a Rogue, he played Galakrond and on his next turn: Spirit of the shark+Umbral skulker+Shadowcaster+Umbral skulkar+Spectral pillager and surprisingly there was not really lag.