[Main Thread] Moto G6 - Game Freezing/Crashing

Recently when I’ve been the game seems to freeze after every second or third match and I have to restart it. Sometimes it’ll do it in the middle of a match after a big play like puzzle box or a fully invoked Gala.

I’ve noticed the phone gets a bit hotter too. My phone appears to be well within the minimum specs for the game. Any reason why this might be?

2 Likes

I also am having this issue. Feels very bad having lost my old phone, an LG Rebel 4 and an absolute dinosaur compared to this new phone, but now I’m absolutely gimped. I am usually fortunate enough to just barely finish a game before the game must be restarted, and I cannot complete a game of battlegrounds without crashing midway, and any attrition games versus priest are liable to have multiple turns lost.

Failure to clear the game cache between restarts is suicidal. I’m disheartened to see the only remotely similar issued being reported is something being with iOS users… I suspect this specific issue with the g6 will have to wait to be fixed by chance in a future patch and I’ll have to find a different game to play interim or acquire a different device JUST to experience Hearthstone.

Reinstalled thrice, once through Amazon App Store to no avail, as well as tweaking with whatever I could in the developer options. Nothing in particular seems to trigger the crashing/freezing but as time elapses in game, odds of the failure increase.

I actually think it’s a visual error of some kind. Sounds go on after the screen’s given up, and a couple exorienents after a post-game freeze, tapping on the screen where menu buttons ought to be produce the expected sounds: button clicking sounds, music changes when entering Solo Adventures or Battlegrounds, etc.

EDIT:
Phone: Moto G6 (XT1925DL)
Hardware Version: PVT2
Running Android 9 (pie)
Baseband Version: M450_21.29.10.88R ALI_NA_CUST
Kernel Version: 3.18.120-perf-g2af0cec #1 Mon Feb 10 14:15:56 CST 2020
Build Number: PPSS29.118-15-11-9
Security Patch Level: Feb 1, 2020

Bonus Meme:
Still occasionally dealing with infinite queues for the arena and battlegrounds. Been dealing with that and hundreds of lost mulligans and etc. for months now still. Since the dual class Hallows End event LAST YEAR. Just in case the devs forgot lol.

1 Like

Same issue galaxy tab a every couple matches regardless of cache clear. Animation causes it from either opponent. Can be as simple as a hunter hero power

I am freezing only while priest after multiple turns. Other classes seem fine (though they aren’t galy decks). Its so bad that I’ve missed turns from rope waiting on animations. Even knowing what to play and starting as soon as it is my turn

Motto G6, Version 9.

Using my data, the game crashes during and/or after it ends, (significantly more so after a game ends) every time in BG’s, Arena, and regular Play. Sometimes it happens when opening packs and deck building. It started immediately after patch 17.2.1, Just like the similar situation with patch 15.4.

My thoughts on this happening again might be from the update overwriting the bug fix that blizzard made from the previously resolved problem.

Recently, I was forced to replace my LG Rebel 4, and I now have a Moto G6, which is a technical upgrade in virtually every conceivable sense. However, there’s something about my phone that Hearthstone does not like.

Typically this bug manifests at the end of a game by freezing the screen, but in games sufficiently long or Battlegrounds, it can occur in the middle of that game. I know it’s just the screen and not the game because I am still able to input commands by tapping where things ought to be and hearing the sound of, say, a button click, menu change, music changing from main menu to the battlegrounds theme, etc. Restarting the game is the only cure.

Clearing the cache between restarts seems to help marginally; I can sometimes play two games instead of one. Last night with no relevant event I can think of, my phone was able to play for a couple hours at a time between the freezes. I have installed the game four times now, and once through the Amazon Appstore, and to no avail. I have also tried using a VPN. I have tried tinkering with various developer settings, or apps that allow some control over how hard my CPU is working; nothing I have done has yielded any relief.

Normally I’d suck it up and play on, much as I have done in regards to the infinite queue bug I’ve experienced since Hallow’s End of last year, but this is coating me many games, is very frustrating, and since it seems to be an issue limited specifically to my device, I do not have hope it’ll be fixed in the upcoming patch. Well, not intentionally at least. Perhaps I’ll get lucky and something they change in the patch un-goofs my game.

After a few days and nights of having struggled with this, I am willing to reluctantly say that the problem is more severe during high traffic hours,and less so in the latest hours of the night / earliest of the morning, able to play through several games without having to reboot the client.

I’m willing to try any suggestions or offer more information if needed.

Phone: Moto G6 (XT1925DL)
Hardware Version: PVT2
Running Android 9 (pie)
Baseband Version: M450_21.29.10.88R ALI_NA_CUST
Kernel Version: 3.18.120-perf-g2af0cec #1 Mon Feb 10 14:15:56 CST 2020
Build Number: PPSS29.118-15-11-9
Security Patch Level: Feb 1, 2020

Bonus Round: A thanks to user Peverin who has redirected me here from bug report so I might find some help… twice.

Thank you for your reports! I merged a few threads here and updated the title to get better traction on this issue. I’m gathering up the reports now so that we can send some information over to our team.

For those of you experiencing the issue on a Moto device, please include the following details:

• Phone model:
  • Android Version:
  • Hearthstone Version:

For anyone who does not have a moto device, please create a new thread.

I have experienced somehow similar effects: “lag” after Galakrond being played by opponent.

I noticed too that this crash on android, somehow similar to lag on iOS might be due to visual.

Only workaround that I have found is to not download assets. I can play 10 games in a row before one with lag occurs.

Having same issue here with Moto G6, game freezes after matches probably 2 out of 3 times for me. Running Android version 9 and Hearthstone 17.4.49534.

I agree with you, as I have done the same to fix the issue with no avail. Problems to occur more so now than ever before. It’s getting worse. I’ve practically given up on playing hearthstone all together until they fix this issue. Buying a new phone is unrealistic as I’m not sure that would even fix the issue let alone the cost for just a game. I hope the technicians are keeping their word on fixing the issue. I would like to see posted updates on the matter to know that they are working on it.

2 Likes

Motorola Z2 Play (4GB RAM, 64GB ROM)
Android 9 (Pie)
HS version 18.0.54613

I tried clearing cache, reinstalling HS app, even formating my phone… But the problem is not gone.

Game freezes during animations, when match ends, when I try to see something in that left bar that shows last cards played.
Sometimes, when a match ends, the video freezes and when I tap the screen I hear the sounds when we’re choosing a deck… it’s like the game is still running but just video stopped.

I can’t even send video links to show the Tech support what’s going on, on my phone. Please techies, where can I send video links of my gameplay to you so I can help resolve this issue?

I’m also now experiencing issues on Moto G6. Has been getting progressively worse since battlegrounds introduction but now literally can barely make it through 2 games (typically in wild) without hearthstone freezing before the second game finishes (sometimes will freeze in first game if there’s been a few animations). By the time required to force close, reopen and reconnect often loses at least 1 turn and leads to frustration and lost games.

Phone model: Moto G6 SKU XT1925-5
Android Version: 9
Hearthstone Version: 18.0.54613

Same issue on G6. Definitely animation related. All the new visual bells and whistles seem to be causing it.