Returning to Standard now?

Yep, it’s that Sparky here, who, with some small exceptions, hasn’t been a regular Standard player since Un’Goro’s launch, contemplating a return to the mode now and looking for some constructive feedback. I know what you might be thinking: the ‘meta’ right now isn’t really the best (we’ll get back to it), but let me lay out my case first nevertheless.

It’s Whizbang (the ‘Splendiferous’ one) that promted me to try the mode again. It’s simple, it’s accessible, some of those decks are just bad, some are wacky, some are fun, but there’s only so much you can do with them, so I’ve been thinking whether I could try some more and play some actual deck(s), especially given a new Standard year and thus a smaller card pool at the moment.

The first thing to consider is the budget. If the crafting interface is to be believed, I’ve got (or could get after mass disenchanting) sligtly less than 15k dust at the moment. Could have had more, had I not crafted wacky cards for whimsical purposes, which I don’t regret at all, by the way — it’s just a game for me (and that puzzle had been fun… before they broke it, so it was dust well spent), could have probaly got some more by disenchanting something and so on, but it’s a starting point.

While writing this, I realised that I probably should also describe my attitude to playing this game. While I’m not necessarily interested in playing whatever the most ‘broken’, ‘busted’ and ‘OP’ decks at the moment is for some cheap wins, and I’d rather choose something that is more fun or ‘right’ to play for me, I’d still want a ‘playable’, i.e. competitive, decks or archetype, no ‘troll’ (or ‘meme’, whatever that might mean, as some people say) decks and such rubbish, please. Thus, I’m asking what a reasonable dust investment in something playable would be. While I don’t advocate excessive netdecking at all, I suppose it’s not unreasonable for a new or returning player with a limited budget to seek some guidance in this aspect.

Finally, another point to consider: of the original nine classes, I played most at some more point to a more or less considerable extent, except for Shaman, which hasn’t been my favourite at all (by the way, judging by some recent topics such as this, some of the original problems of the class still emerge: if it’s not outright ‘broken’, which has happend in the game’s history, it could be highly inconsistent and awful to play with, but also horrible to play against due to potential ‘high rolls’ and ridiculous ‘combo-wombos’, among other things) and with which I only experimented a bit without much success. The new ones, however, are a different story, and experiencing them in Ranked — so long as it’s playable, as noted above — would be a ‘bonus’, especially the Demon Hunter, which just seems more cool to me, less so — the Death Knight.

So, I’ve played with Whizbang a bit in the lower Standard ranks, taken a look at some meta reviews (e.g. at hearthstonetopdecks.com or by Old Guardian), and here are my preliminary impressions and considerations.

I’ve been slightly tempted to try the Plague Death Knight, which is more or less a natural counter to some other decks that I find irritating, such as the singleton ones or annoying Warriors (Odyn and stuff)… But, one the one hand, those are apparently not even the worst offenders in the meta (more on that below), on the other hand, the deck could be considered irritating or annoying itself, so I dunno…

There are some other considerations in favour of the DK, though. As far as I understand, a bunch of DK Legendary cards, e.g. The Primus and others, are more or less in every playable deck and could be used with other archetypes, e.g. some ‘rainbow’ decks. I even happen to have the legendary rainbow spell (CNE) already in my collection, unlike most craftable Standard legendaries, so in theory I could try out different DK decks, but I dunno: is it alone a good reason to invest in these cards, as opposed to some other choices?

Then there’s the Demon Hunter… An aggro deck — not my most preferred archetype in HS, perhaps, but also an option and not wrong per se, besides, it could be considered a part of class identity. Window Shoppers are cool, although this whole strategy (with the Umpire’s Grasp and so on) doesn’t seem to be the most consistent one… Besides, the deck has been evolving and becoming cheaper, if you look at some ‘meta’ lists, which is also a plus. As said above, the DH is a class I’d be most interested to try out, but my question is: is it worth it or would it be an utter disappointment for a first impression, when it comes to playability (reportedly, its worst matchups are against some of the classes I’d consider annoying, as noted earlier)? In this light, I’d even appreciate some refined ‘meta’ lists, considering the limited resources for crafting cards. Oh, by the way: a number of those lists featured Pozzik — can somebody explain to me what he’s doing there? Is he supposed to be played with Rush for extra tempo from those bots or what?

You might be wondering: what’s he going on about when the talk of the town, so to speak, is something like the Paladin — especially the handbuff version with Leeroy and Shroomcavate, and it’s the reason why now might not be a good time and a good meta to play Standard? Gotta say, while the class itself might not necessarily be terrible, this particular play style doesn’t fall under my definition of ‘fun’, so I’d rather not jump on the bandwagon.

However, there’s also the aggro Hunter… Playing some Beasts, hitting the face — isn’t that Hearthstone? :grinning: Maybe I could try that?

To sum up, I’ve been considering investing either in the DK or in a couple of less expensive and more ‘cool’ decks like aggro DH and Hunter, and I’d appreciate some concrete advice on the reasonableness of that, as well as some crafting tips (apart from Zilliax, which’d probably be the safest choice right now).

One more thing: they say that a balance patch could be released soon, so the meta might change — something to look forward to. Should I wait for it, or could it be safe to craft and play something even now?

DH currently has two competitive decks - Tempo (the Shopper one) and Highlander (also has shopper, but Reno too, so you don’t run duplicates). I prefer the tempo one, and it’s really playable. Although half of the top legend plays Highlander one, it’s much more expensive and boring (I’d even venture to say “less playable”)

I enjoy playing it with 55% winrate currently because it fits my playstyle even better than a 70% winrate sludgelock, and here’s the list:

Summary

Tempo

# Class: Demon Hunter
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Pegasus
#
# 2x (0) Through Fel and Flames
# 2x (1) Burning Heart
# 2x (1) Drone Deconstructor
# 2x (1) Frequency Oscillator
# 2x (1) Miracle Salesman
# 2x (1) Red Card
# 2x (1) Taste of Chaos
# 2x (2) Instrument Tech
# 2x (2) Parched Desperado
# 2x (2) Spirit of the Team
# 2x (3) Umpire's Grasp
# 2x (4) Ball Hog
# 1x (4) Going Down Swinging
# 1x (4) Metamorphosis
# 1x (4) Pozzik, Audio Engineer
# 1x (0) Zilliax Deluxe 3000
#   1x (0) Zilliax Deluxe 3000
#   1x (2) Haywire Module
#   1x (2) Power Module
# 2x (5) Window Shopper
# 
AAECAea5AwSU1AT3wwX0yAXHpAYNuMUF2dAF5OQFsvUFuf4FhY4GjZAG6Z4G7Z8GvrAGv7AGw7AGzLEGAAED8bMGx6QG8rMGx6QG7t4Gx6QGAAA=
# 
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

P.S. Pozzik is a tempo play. You put it down on board for two reasons:

a) to gain or maintain tempo, or
b) to burn a card from greedy control decks, as it gives your enemy 2 bots in hand.

Tempo is gained (or maintained) because if they clear him you get 2x3/3 on the board, otherwise it costs them 6 mana to play those bots and it prevents them from playing their own win cons.

1 Like

I just came back myself. I’m not in love with it thus far, but I think Elemental mage has real promise, if the mini set pumps it some.
At least it is fun for me to play:)

Holy mecherel, you actually read that wall?

2 Likes

I like his style of writing :smiley:

2 Likes

Please. I just ate and I intend to keep it down.

Thanks for your feedback, I’ll take a look!

A little request: could you, please, use 'preformatted text' for the deck, so that it’s displayed neatly? The ‘Hide Details’ function also helps, in my opinion.

So would I, especially considering that Reno decks tend to be expensive, don’t they?

That is actually quite good for any deck.

Understood, thanks.

Done. Dunno about the other option xD I’m a noob to these types of forums

Yes, a lot more

In this meta it’s tier 2 at best xD You’d be surprised xD

1 Like

Well done!

In the editor, it’s in the menu under the ‘cog’ icon. The result looks like this:

Deck list (click to expand)
### Tempo
# Class: Demon Hunter
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Pegasus
#
# 2x (0) Through Fel and Flames
# 2x (1) Burning Heart
# 2x (1) Drone Deconstructor
# 2x (1) Frequency Oscillator
# 2x (1) Miracle Salesman
# 2x (1) Red Card
# 2x (1) Taste of Chaos
# 2x (2) Instrument Tech
# 2x (2) Parched Desperado
# 2x (2) Spirit of the Team
# 2x (3) Umpire's Grasp
# 2x (4) Ball Hog
# 1x (4) Going Down Swinging
# 1x (4) Metamorphosis
# 1x (4) Pozzik, Audio Engineer
# 1x (0) Zilliax Deluxe 3000
#   1x (0) Zilliax Deluxe 3000
#   1x (2) Haywire Module
#   1x (2) Power Module
# 2x (5) Window Shopper
# 
AAECAea5AwSU1AT3wwX0yAXHpAYNuMUF2dAF5OQFsvUFuf4FhY4GjZAG6Z4G7Z8GvrAGv7AGw7AGzLEGAAED8bMGx6QG8rMGx6QG7t4Gx6QGAAA=
# 
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Perhaps not, if one looks at this meta review by Old Guardian, for instance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsM7PZ7w2WU

It’s quite clear what the ‘best’ deck(s) would be (that is, not this), but… as said, no, thank you. :grinning:

1 Like

Done, thank you for the tutorial :slight_smile:

1 Like

Of course it’s Mage for you — who would have expected something else. :rofl:

No problem. I’ve been trying to popularise proper formatting on this forum. :grinning: It’s funny how those hashes interfere with it, yet not everyone knows how to circumvent it.

Because very few people actually care.

Also, didnt even read your wall of text OP. Less is more!

You are golden

I have a current 60 dust. Granted I have been playing standard consistently for the past twoish years, but I’m more of a wild player, a vast majority of my decks are wild.

15k dust is enough to craft a super deck of your choice, or what I would suggest is saving your gold(this can still be done by playing wild if you prefer), and buying at least 10 packs from each expansion currently in standard.(or enough packs to get the guaranteed legendary) I would then suggest buying an additional ten packs for the TITANS expansion. From there you can really just build standard decks, craft anything you may want.

I never have more than 100 dust at any given moment, and I’m doing fine. I commonly go through my card collection(wild included), and just disenchant bad/unplayable cards throughout the years. Wilds full of them, I’ve gotten at least 10 legendaries crafted, just from disenchanting Rare wild cards.

Technically the Reno DH plays duplicates of Shopper and the Grasp since they have 3 chances at hitting the Grasp in deck. I don’t think i have ever not had Reno playable on 8. The problem with this deck NOW is that it rose up quickly overnight to start dominating and today all the Plague DK’s showed up to smack them down.

You’d be astounded if you saw how much gold I blew on hero skins, as well as Classic and Mercs packs. :grinning: Those were the modes I was interested in, only returning to Standard now — such is the side effect of it, I guess.

Yep, turns out that after crafting the DH deck (Kassadin, thanks again!), I could try the DK, for example, if I wanted to.

I could do that, but I’ve been mostly disenchanting cards with a ‘refund’ on them, i.e. the full dust value for disenchanting.

By the way, as I was talking about the balance patch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va9O7iqpcGo
1 Like

I am surprised that it is whizzbang and not the bots which led you into such a decision

And how would the bots surprise me? What have I not seen there during all those years, except for even more of them (although the EU server is reportedly not that bad)? Sorry, I just don’t follow your logic.

Whizbang can generate decks you normally wouldn’t be able to build or play — at least there’s that, and it’s also a budget option for beginners (or perhaps returning guys).

I don’t know if you got around to playing it recently, but pretty much since the whizbang expac/rotation 90% of the playerbase is just bots (this number isn’t an exaggeration, but an honest estimate from playing it), I’ve never reached legend in this game but am very close to doing it because of the number of free win bots I’ll come across, full ranks are just bots and I got from low platinum to diamond 5 playing basically only bots, I can only imagine it’s even worse from bronze->gold, the game is basically unplayable unless treated as a singleplayer mode (I’m talking about NA servers here I’m not sure which one you play on)

I’m familiar with the problem, you could take a look at these figures, for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=978i-YTm2Hg

They have banned some since, though.

Oh, I have, and the first time was back in Naxx and the old system, so this hasn’t been my motivation.

EU.

Lower ranks so far, but I haven’t had the impression they are all bots there. Some players emote as a human would (e.g. at a peculiar moment or something) and so on.

It’s nothing new either, the problem existed even back in 2015 or something like it.

they ban them but unfortunately they always just make new ones, there was a new wave added with the the whizbang expansion that brought a bunch of them after that video was made, I don’t know if it’s as much as a problem on EU servers as I play on NA, but I played the game actively back in 2014-2016 and it was really nothing like this, almost all my matches are against bots at this point

edit: Bot Ban Update--Late March 2024 an interesting post if you’re curious how bad the numbers were, it’s improved slightly more since when I last posted