DK deck-building 'pro' tips wanted

Been messing about with some Death Knight decks lately, but I’m still getting the hang of the current Standard play, so to speak, thus I’d appreciate some ‘expert’ advice.

As for the full Plague package, this hasn’t seemed like the right ‘meta’ for it, but I’m gonna leave the deck list I’ve tried below anyway:

Plague Death Knight
### Plague
# Class: Death Knight
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Pegasus
#
# 2x (1) Scarab Keychain
# 2x (1) Staff of the Primus
# 2x (2) Distressed Kvaldir
# 2x (2) Down with the Ship
# 2x (2) Kobold Miner
# 2x (2) Mining Casualties
# 2x (3) Chillfallen Baron
# 2x (3) Plucky Paintfin
# 2x (3) Reap What You Sow
# 1x (4) Helya
# 2x (4) Skeleton Crew
# 2x (4) Tomb Traitor
# 2x (5) Burrow Buster
# 1x (8) The Primus
# 1x (0) Zilliax Deluxe 3000
#   1x (0) Zilliax Deluxe 3000
#   1x (4) Twin Module
#   1x (5) Perfect Module
# 2x (11) Chained Guardian
# 1x (20) Reska, the Pit Boss
# 
AAECAfHhBAST+wXt/wX/lwbHpAYNh/YE9fcFgvgF8vgFu/kF6/8FyoMG0IMG9YwG85EGy58GkqAG+6gGAAED9bMGx6QG97MGx6QG6N4Gx6QGAAA=
# 
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Anything wrong with it or is that how it generally goes?

As for the so-called ‘Rainbow’ variation, I’ve been struggling a bit. With some external… ‘inspiration’ I built and played a bit something like this:

RGB DK
### RGB
# Class: Death Knight
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Pegasus
#
# 2x (1) Runes of Darkness
# 1x (1) Threads of Despair
# 2x (2) Frost Strike
# 2x (2) Gold Panner
# 2x (2) Hematurge
# 2x (2) Mining Casualties
# 2x (3) Chillfallen Baron
# 2x (3) Crop Rotation
# 1x (3) Rustrot Viper
# 2x (3) Sickly Grimewalker
# 1x (4) E.T.C., Band Manager
#   1x (1) Threads of Despair
#   1x (2) Down with the Ship
#   1x (3) Rustrot Viper
# 1x (4) Helya
# 1x (4) Maw and Paw
# 2x (4) Quartzite Crusher
# 2x (5) Army of the Dead
# 1x (6) The Headless Horseman
# 1x (8) The Primus
# 1x (10) Climactic Necrotic Explosion
# 1x (0) Zilliax Deluxe 3000
#   1x (0) Zilliax Deluxe 3000
#   1x (5) Perfect Module
#   1x (5) Ticking Module
# 1x (20) Reska, the Pit Boss
# 
AAECAfHhBAr9xAX8+QWT+wXt/wWLkgb/lwbNngbHpAa7sQa9sQYK9eMEkOQEh/YElJUGl5UGkZcGzpwGkqAGy7AG2OUGAAEGgvgF/cQFzZ4G/cQFu7EG/cQF9rMGx6QG97MGx6QG6N4Gx6QGAAA=
# 
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

However, there are some tricky card choices there (such cards can also vary in different published ‘meta’ lists). For example, Miracle Salesman or Gold Panner? Acolyte of Death or Chillfallen Baron? That Rustrot Viper — mostly there for being also tradeable, perhaps there are better choices? And Zilliax — maybe some alternative module choice (e.g. Haywire + Perfect) is worth considering? Thus, some ‘pro’ tips would be much appreciated.

PS Resident trolls will probably be ignored, you may not bother. If you think you’ve got your own creative idea that works great in some games in Bronze 5 or the like — thank you, but it’s not exactly what I’m looking for in this topic, no offence intended.

Try something along these lines. More control oriented than the older Rainbow decks. Miracle Salesman is too good for nearly any deck to pass on outside of very specific decks. Chillfallen is a fine card but it’s a bit passive and there’s plenty of ways DK can card draw faster and more efficiently.

2x (1) Miracle Salesman

1x (1) Runes of Darkness

1x (2) Frost Strike

2x (2) Hematurge

2x (2) Mining Casualties

2x (3) Acolyte of Death

2x (3) Crop Rotation

2x (3) Rainbow Seamstress

2x (3) Sickly Grimewalker

1x (4) E.T.C., Band Manager

1x (1) Threads of Despair
1x (2) Dirty Rat
1x (2) Down with the Ship

1x (4) Helya

1x (4) Maw and Paw

2x (4) Quartzite Crusher

2x (5) Army of the Dead

2x (5) Corpse Bride

1x (6) The Headless Horseman

1x (8) The Primus

1x (10) Climactic Necrotic Explosion

1x (0) Zilliax Deluxe 3000

1x (5) Perfect Module
1x (5) Ticking Module

1x (20) Reska, the Pit Boss

AAECAdDJBgr14wT9xAX8+QWT+wXt/wWLkgaUlQb/lwbHpAa9sQYKkOQEhY4Gl5UGkZcGkqAGy7AGubEG0+UG1uUG2OUGAAEGgvgF/cQF0Z4G/cQFu7EG/cQF9rMGx6QG97MGx6QG6t4Gx6QGAAA=

1 Like

Thanks.

First, one little thing: preformatted text, please? :grinning:

Then, to the deck list, which looks quite similar to mine — so I might not be that bad at it. :grinning:

You mean those featuring Stitched Giants and the like?

Got it, thanks.

You mean the Acolyte of Death? Yep, that’s what I’ve been thinking, but… AoD + Crop Rotation is 6 mana, 8 with the Army of the Dead, 5 with the hero power, but drawing only one card, which is a bit slow vs faster decks (DH, Hunter and the like), while the Baron gives 2 cards more or less as is, one of them immediately. In other words, the AoD has a higher ‘ceiling’, but a lower ‘floor’, while the Baron is more stable. So is it more about ‘techning’ vs aggro or control or am I missing something?

I’ve been really torn between those two.

1x (1) Runes of Darkness

Only one? But isn’t an extra Quartzite Crusher, for example, good in the meta? At least that’s what I’ve been thinking, but am I wrong?

Hmm… I’ve been considering this card, but is it good and how do you even use it? Vs aggro, you might not have enough corpses in the early game (and if you do, you might have cleared their swarm already), vs control (e.g. Warlock?), the guy doesn’t look impressive, and DHs might imprison or bypass it.

Hmm… I don’t know if I like that card very much. :smirk: It can backfire so badly… But at least it’s optional there, i.e. in the ETC band, so you could choose something better…

Again, only one? But isn’t it decent?

By the way, the third ‘discover’ card — Necrotic Mortician — doesn’t seem that popular. Can’t say I like it either, but what exactly is wrong with it? Too big of a discovery pool?