[Resolved] Save your GPU, cap your FPS even with high-end models

IF it is still under warranty.

You also don’t seem to understand that just because you can doesn’t mean you should. Running things harder and hotter than they need to cause excessive wear and tear, even for GPUs.

Cars come with fail safes, red line. Do you drive your car at red line just because the red line is there to protect the engine? No, because that will break it down faster than not.

every hw crashes eventually, evga, gigabyte, asus, nvidia, amd etc

1 Like

GPUs also have fail safes set by the vBIOS, NVIDIA GPU’s core frequencies throttle down past 83°C.

I’m running D4 on an old RTX2080ti, FPS cap at 165 (my 1440p monitor’s GSYNC cap). I still hear the fan ramp up to 100% for 2 seconds, then go silent again, only to repeat 20 seconds later. It was ANNOYING, like someone using a hair dryer in short bursts. The easiest fix was to use MSI Afterburning to down clock the GPU from 100% to 90%, then set the fans to 60% speed and always-on. D4 still shows slow-downs when exiting the town-portal, but otherwise it runs quite well, even during public events where everyone is spamming AOE.

If you hear your GPU fan ramping up like a hair dryer like mine, then you should check it out before the GPU fries.

1 Like

the point is we need to save the hw before it crashes

1 Like

I know that, lmao. Do you seriously think you are educating anyone? You’re not.

You fail to see how there’s an issue when the entire game runs at 45%, but the inventory window and main menu ramp up to 90%.

You fail to see how there’s an issue when some people’s games crash consistently with lowered settings when their GPU runs at ~50% and opens the inventory, but is stable and stops crashing once they increase their settings so the game runs at a constant 80%?

“Freezing and crashing” is the hardware doing it’s job.

Some random observations from my own system (i9 13900K, Zotac 3090Ti… both ARE overlocked, CPU is using an off the shelf AIO, GPU has stock cooler) - all settings are maxed out at 4k, everything uncapped:

• Standing in town, I sit around 105 fps. CPU ~68c, GPU same.
  • Power usage seems high, but I don’t monitor this a lot… CPU sucking down 170-180w, GPU pulling 440w (guess that 1200w power supply actually was a good idea).
  • If I open the inventory, the FPS drops to 80(?!). What’s weird is it’s exactly 80, no more, no less. Power consumption also jumps ~15w on the GPU, but temps stay the same, sitting at 99% usage. I will say, it’s also weird that every core on this CPU is just sitting at it’s turbo cap… usually they bounce around.
  • In the main menu of the game, sitting there looking at my character, the FPS is weirdly low (around 65), and GPU power consumption is upwards of 480w for some reason (i.imgur .com/9s6eGQR.png)

As noted, I don’t have any throttling or crashing myself, but the behavior seems both odd, and a little unnecessary (ex the character select taking more power than actually in the game playing). Anyway, don’t know if any of that is helpful, but maybe it sparks an idea somewhere.

E - just noticed in that screenshot that diablo is taking diablo wattage just to render character select. I don’t usually get that running Port Royal benching it, lol.

2 Likes

You know what happened after similar high GPU utilization was observed in New World?
NVIDIA had to release a new driver patch restricting the GPU boost frequencies of affected cards.

Again, this is ocurring in NVIDIA and AMD. Why is it so hard for you to comprehend that there are two sets of issues here?

1: GPUs that fry had pre-existing faults.
2: There is an actual game issue.

An Inventory window doubling GPU usage is excessive and games should not be crashing with lower settings and perfectly fine with high settings.

You are so intent of being right at this point. You just can’t stand the thought of being wrong.

AMD has their own set of unstable driver issues to deal with.
The main menu and inventory screen GPU utilization issue is currently the least of their problems.

That’s not for you to say. You keep talking in absolutes as if you have insider information and work for Blizzard. You don’t. I don’t understand why you are so invested in this topic and derailing it. You won’t let people voice their concerns and let Blizzard deal with it. You feel the need to take over and tell them it’s intended design and that there’s nothing wrong when you are in no position to make that determination.

1 Like

AMD cards crashing while loading into an in-game city is an objectively bigger issue than higher GPU utilization for rendering the highest quality character possible on the screen.

Again, this is causing people to crash too when they try to open their inventory or vendor.

You really can’t comprehend anything.

AMD cards are crashing in other instances too.
You don’t seem to understand there’s serious issues with their drivers overall.

Okay? Yes there are. Doesn’t mean other problems can’t exist in the same space.

You seem the entirely be missing the point about the main issue of the GPU utilization increasing under this unusual circumstance of opening your inventory or interacting with a vendor and threading other problems into it

2 Likes

Static images like main menu and inventory should consume far less GPU resources than fast paced high particle effect game play since the former do not require new image renders. Since we are seeing the opposite in D4, there is another underlying issue present.

1 Like

You seem the entirely be missing the point about the main issue of the GPU utilization increasing under this unusual circumstance of opening your inventory or interacting with a vendor and threading other problems into it

You and LordShar below seem to conveniently ignore there’s a high quality character being rendered in the inventory screen every time you open it, alongside the other in-game scene the video card is required to render. It’s the same quality character render that appears on the game’s main menu.

That is why the GPU utilization is going up.

It can be high quality and not take up the same GPU utilization as the game itself. That’s what you don’t understand. I already told you that it is likely that the rendering is likely uncapped off screen and not affected by the fps cap for your monitor.

It still doesn’t address the crashing with lower setting and being stable with high.

You literally have no clue.

It can be high quality and not take up the same GPU utilization as the game itself. That’s what you don’t understand.

You don’t seem to understand that is up to how the video card drivers and hardware is set up to render the scene.