Can the game actually damage the GPU?

Hi guys,

I ve seen a few posts about this and I am concerned, yet I dont have the sufficient knowledge to put a mark on it.

I am running the game now, after the numerous issues like the one with having fast SSD (fixed), gray screen freeze, random crashes etc. The only issue that I have after all the measures and the fixes they implemented is that whenever I plug in to the energy source my fans go crazy, temperatures raise but not too much (60-70) and eventually crash, this happens only in this game and only in certain places, like towns, like char screen etc.

I have a completely new laptop i5-12500H, RTX 3060. I am running smooth on high or med setting with limited FPS.

So my question is can this damage the hardware? Right now if I play 10 minutes max with a charger on I get dropped to blue screen our desktop to an error (Fenris something) as i mentioned at that time the cooling fans are working for their life.

I ve limited several options related to the power usage as I thought it might be the issue, since when not charging I dont have this problem. I feel like the game requires the GPU to work too hard (bad optimization?) at times and due to that it utilizes more energy.

I am just guessing here, please advise. Thanks!

Try this. From the launcher:

1. Click the settings icon next to Play button.
  2. Click Modify Install
  3. Click Modify Install under Game Content
  4. Uncheck ‘High-Resolution Assets’ then confirm.

Its been destroying nvidia cards, be careful. Laptops are already a mini oven…

Wow, they actually made a post on this and confirmed.

I have a Razer blade pro 17 (2022) max options that’s on a 8 or 9 fan cooling pad (no spicy pillows for me). Couple days ago I had the laptop off charger doing some remote work and kicked into town for a bit while I waited, and off charger it’s supposed to drop way down in performance, but instead it was running hot and fans were on tilt.

So when I got home and charged it I ran it without the cooling pad to check it. Nothing, smooth as silk on power, max settings.

I did do what people recommended with the cars bricking posts and I limited the frame rate in game to 80 max, since this isn’t cod, I don’t need 700fps to button mash, this has had a significant impact on just normal running. Before it would get a little warm on the pad… but after it’s as cool as if I had just turned it on.

Might be worth looking at that if you haven’t already.

I lowered my Foreground FPS to 120, and Background to 60 FPS.

Was capping out at 144 FPS, but will play it safe.

The game is sucking up V-Ram like it going out of fashion 6900XT and running out of V-Ram

1 Like

I seriously doubt it.

As someone who abuses the hell out of their hardware, overclocks everything, plays with core voltage and power limit slid to maximum, and plays with both FPS options on 400, and left the option to cap cinematic FPS unchecked, nothing has happened to any hardware… not even coil whine.

As that person from Blizzard has stated, properly functioning hardware with the right VBIOS should be throttling itself at the appropriate points, and that throttling behavior can’t be disabled in either MSI Afterburner or any other overclocking software. The game might perform poorly or seem unstable(due to throttling) but should never be capable of actually damaging any hardware in and of itself.

Thanks guys, they have a pinned post about this now, hopefully it will get fixed soon. Seems its related to the interface/inventory or something and it does make sense as I usually get crashes in town and that is the time i check it the most.

1 Like

I dunno, the game never really uses more than 10-20% of my 2070 GPU, i think its CPU heavy and uses the card for VRAM only.

What in the hell are you doing?