Diablo IV has run out of memory

This also happens in minecraft if you have too many stacks of glowstone in a chest.

Logically this could be true or this is just the time your firmware decided to act up on you. I have had things like this in past. You can be ok for weeks or months then all the sudden it pops up. You assume it is something that it isnt because of the timing which is logical but proves wrong. Check that firmware! Your drive could be approaching the end of its life because firmware wasnt updated so your errors are just beginning.

Firmware issues are one of the worst issues you can have.

Anyways I did what I could. I m out of this one! Toodles. GL

Well, I lowered graphic preset to HIGH instead of Ultra, and it hasn’t crashed yet. So, that’s something.

Did you check your firmware on your SSD?

1 Like

Yea, I ran the Magician thing and there was an update for the 980 Pro. I have a 970 Pro as well as a storage drive, but that was already running latest firmware.

Says the drive is in Good status. No issues reported.

CrystalDisk info is also reporting two healthy drives.

Maybe update for 980 will fix it. in any event GL i cant help anymore. toodles

1 Like

must be our stash space…

1 Like

Lowering detail settings to High seems to have fixed it for now.

You’d think at 1080p this wouldn’t be an issue. But, oh well. Gotta lose some Texture Detail to prevent crashes I guess.

I don’t even bother with the RTX stuff. I know that’ll bog everything down.

Those of you running out of memory when playing this game need to adjust for a higher amount of swap file.

The automatic systems in place do not compensate fast enough.

To change this setting:

Windows 10/11

• Right-click the Windows Start icon (window/flag button)
  • Choose “System”
  • Find the link labeled “Advanced system settings” and click it
  • A window should pop up. On here find “Performance” and click the “Settings” button
  • At the top of the next page, click on “Advanced”
  • Under here you will see the Paging options.
  • Click “Change”
  • Uncheck “Automatically manage paging file size for all drives”
  • Find the dot labeled “Custom size” and click it.

Now, for the next portion, set both boxes to the same value

• If you have 16GB or less, set the value for both to 24576 (24GB)
  • If you have more than 16GB, set the value for both to 16384 (16GB)

The reason you can use less in the second option is because you have more memory. I run a system with 32GB, a 4080 Super, and use a 16GB Swap file. No crashes. Before I changed that setting, I was using a 3070Ti, and had no swap file set at all. It was disabled. But as soon as I upgraded the card, I had out of memory problems.

You can monitor your memory usage:

Open the task manager and use the view of your memory usage while playing the game. You can literally see it eat up your virtual memory under “Committed”.

The reason we want to set the minimum and maximum (by using the same value for both) is to reduce the system dynamically having to adjust the file size on the fly all the time. It helps the performance.

Now, your individual results can vary and you may need to set a higher value if you are using a 24GB video card such as a 4090. And if you are running other programs in the background (especially browsers) then set the value higher.

FYI - I am using the calculation of 1024 x the base memory amount (such as 16) to arrive at those numbers, but you could literally input any number value as long as both are the same. I just use that as it feels correct.

2 Likes

I’ll give that a try, thanks. It’s just weird that this hasn’t happened ever until updating yesterday, and doesn’t happen on any other game.

Depending on your issue it may help.

Something else that someone brought up in a recent post about Logitech triggered a thought.

I noticed the same update they were talking about here:

It could be related to some of you having issues as well.

I just noticed, it says Initial size and Maximum size, do I change them both to 24576?

Sorry, yes, they should both be set the same value.

That is so the system isn’t trying to dynamically change it on the fly and it minimizes performance impact.

1 Like

I have no clue if this is what fixed it, but after seeing your link I saw I had old Logitech firmware, but it wouldn’t let me update it so I deleted it and installed with the new firmware. I also noticed, after updating my AMD firmware last week, I had another to download today. After updating them both I’ve had no issues in roughly 2 hours. Thank you so much for your help.

Posting my thank You to DTMAce here as well… this fixed it for me. I had been experiencing many crashes for the last week or so. Now, super smooth once again. FYI, my system is a 4090 (24 GB VRAM) and 32 GM RAM, so I went ahead and fixed the swap file at 32768. Maybe it’s overkill, but it’s working now.

This is only true for the 980 Pro models made before a certain date. It’s still wise to get the latest firmware for any Samsung SSD since they usually include bugfixes or workarounds for controller errata.

This is also something I’ve noticed. If you have a browser open, even with just one tab like I typically do for my build for looking up temper/stat priorities, D4 hits the VM error much, much quicker.

It’s been a problem since the March 5th update. For some reason D4 is now dumping textures into virtual memory instead of simply swapping them to system RAM when able to, and you end up with a out of memory error, and if you check the Fenris logs it shows a virtual memory error. D4 shouldn’t be dumping textures into VM. Ever. It’s much more noticeable now because modern GPUs have a lot more VRAM and as such, soak up the available VM pool much more quickly. A 4090 will actually reach that error much sooner than even a 4080 and a lot sooner than a 4060 or 4070.

Keep in mind, I was seeing this back in January, after upgrading to the 4080 S, so I don’t think that date is when it started, but it may have been made worse or more prevalent when that patch happened. Just a thought. And you had actually commented about this and pointed me to the fact that it was a VM issue, if you remember. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ahh, so this is still a thing. I was in 2 of the betas, no problem. Release, random out of memory. There was a patch, no more errors. A couple patches later, memory errors, etc. I havent played since Season2 started. I just installed, pick a character, set the name, load in, and out of Memory again.

ryzen7 5800x, 32gb ram, 3090rtx w/24gb ram. No issues with Elden Ring and Street Fighter 6, or I play something every day, no memory issues.

1 Like

Set textures to medium and test. Set Battlenet to close on launch. Download afterburner and check vram while adjusting textures.

Ooph im running the 5700 and i dont have those issues so given your cards newer id say theres something up with your machine, grahpics wise try the AMD Pro drivers .there older but way more stable when it comes to D4