Diablo IV has run out of memory

Diablo IV has run out of memory and the application needs to exit. This is possibly caused by using graphic settings exceeding your machine capabilities.

This is the quote of the crash that i am getting in season 2, about every hour or so.
My graphic card is decent (Radeon RX 6700) and I am not even on ultra settings , i am mostly on “high” and all the shadows are one step lower.

also, I had not had a single crash in season 1 ( pre-season I had some memory crashes that were fixed).

Blizz, please fix your game.

6 Likes

It doesn’t want to remember either. :rofl:

12 Likes

I initially read it too fast as “ran out of money”. There was no way that’s possible with the amount they made - unless it all went to Supreme Leader Kotick’s bank account.

3 Likes

Radeon RX 6700, 12 Gig relatively new card in the grand scheme of things, honestly shouldn’t have any issues running D4 even at higher settings. I imagine your PC and Ram are also up to snuff so you aren’t creating bottlenecks.

I’d post this in the Bug Forums as well as the Technical Forums, they tend to read those more often when new seasons/patches come out. General Discussion isn’t really the right place to notify them about crashes.

3 Likes

A few of my mates have had issues where it just crashes too.
So something is up with it.

Getting crashes every time I log in, so unbelievably frustrating, just lost out on 200 cinders in a Helltide because of it

it is RAM, not video memory. how much RAM you have? if have max 16GB then take care too have enough pagefile configured in Windows, at least 8GB I would say.

4 Likes

Simple solution :

http s://downloadmoreram.com/

:rofl:

1 Like

I was having disconnects and lag, it seemed to happen most when my character was still moving and I opened the skills, character, or battle pass windows. I then noticed (while I was in my graphic setting) that D4 was in 4k (3840 X 2160). My monitor does not support it and I have a decent PC but it’s not god-like. (RTX 3060 TI and Ryzen 7 5700G 16G ram) Anyhow, I was not able to change the 4k resolution it was greyed out under the graphic settings. I checked my display properties (on my PC) and I was at 1080p already. So I switched the display setting to a new resolution, (anything that is not 1080p) Kept the changes, then reset it back to 1080p. (CLOSE D4 BEFORE MAKING THESE CHANGES) Anyhow it worked, and the game is running way smoother for now. May be useless info but most of my answers and fixes come from remote posts like this one. Hope it helps if not sorry…

1 Like

I’ve had this issue three times after less than an hour of playing and just gave up.
I played the beta, pre-season and season 1 without issues. It’s not our hardware.

Blizzard just messed something up, again, as usual.

1 Like

I’ve had this issue before, and after doing research on it, it is relatively common. There are 2 primary fixes. First, exit the game every 20-30 minutes and relaunch it. Boo!!!

The second is to change your graphics settings every 20-30 minutes. This will cause D4 to clear all the RAM it is taking up. Otherwise, it will just keep taking more and more and never clear what it doesn’t need.

1 Like

I learned my lesson from innocently quoting a Forum Title of all things when I misinterpreted what their post was about…Got a 3day Susp for it - So I won’t quote what you typed…

Friendly advice though: “It is slightly (read very BLANK) annoying…” - You should Delete this.
It never looks good when filing a complaint and certainly not when reporting a technical issue or bug, to have this type of language - even filter avoiding…well especially filter avoidance(that’s a COC no-no).
While it’s understandable these issues can frustrate or anger…

Secondly, Using that language can get you a timeout and just make you 10x more bitter than you’re already feeling, post deleted, message unheard and so on.

Follow @Nyurei 's link and report there.
Tech issues will go largely unread here in Gen Discuss.

There is such a HORRID and PROVEN memory leak in this game it will even go as far as crashing your entire system by overloading your video memory causing BSOD. Then, if you contact Blizzard they 100% tell you the game “cannot be the cause of BSOD” and that something MUST be wrong with your system.

I have ran every test, memcheck, stress test, and troubleshooting imaginable. I have also confirmed without any doubt that no other game or piece of software on my entire system ever causes my system to BSOD (including stress testing). There is something horribly wrong with the stability of this game and the denial of this company to ever do anything wrong is disgusting.

6 Likes

Check If your pagefile ist set at zero. If it is, Set it at something. Apparently the game does not like not having a pagefile and runs out of memory even with 64 GB RAM (even if it never actually uses that much).
That fixed it for me.

2 Likes

Auto pagefile shouldn’t be an issue here. If my GPU has 12GB GDDR6X VRAM and 6.6GB is auto allocated to pagefile then Diablo IV shouldn’t “NEED” more than this in order to not constantly have the game crashing or worse, causing BSOD to the entire system due to overloading VRAM/Pagefile. What NEEDS to happen is BLIZZARD needs to stop sending out updates regarding AOZ and FOCUS on STABILITY and be TRANSPARENT about what is CAUSING this and how they FIXED it. They also need to be HONEST about the issue instead of LYING and trying to blame the CONSUMER.

2 Likes

what is strange is you have this issue, but countless others do not. i have never had d4 crash on my pc. it is odd you automatically assume it is blizzards fault instead of maybe your own rig/settings.

1 Like

Apparently you can’t read because I have exhausted every measure to test whether or not it was in fact the fault of my rig.

By the way, there are countless scenarios in which the product/software is still at fault but the bug/issue is not present with every configuration/hardware combination. So just because you or others are not suffering from this, it does NOT mean that it is the fault of the consumer/hardware.

Set your background FPS in in-game settings to 8. Yes 8.

I used to get BSOD in 4K mode for god knows what reason…I have a watercooled 3090Ti and don’t have these issues with any other game.
You are right there is something on their side that is wonky. So I just played in 1080p for some time. But after looking up some optimization settings, I came across this setting, and tried it (previously both FPS settings were capped at 60). I have not had any crashes since other than when my gfx driver is not up to date, but definitely no BSOD’s since that change.

Also if you don’t update your gfx drivers right away Blizzard products result in client crash eventually this is not just D4 it happens in OW2 also. So the client crash is almost always related to nVidia driver issue.

1 Like

Yea, it does seem more frequent after a driver update. Kept making me think the driver installations were faulty and I kept doing clean installs in safe mode to be sure. It also seems to always happen when the game is in the background. As an occasional streamer and multi-tasker with a multi monitor setup (and given that the game often gets boring/you’re waiting on the next event) I tend to be doing things on my second display a lot. I assumed this shouldn’t be an issue since the game is running in DX12’s default Windowed Borderless mode. I will try limiting the background FPS and see if things change. I appreciate the suggestion instead of being defensive and rude like others just because they haven’t had the pleasure of dealing with these problems.

1 Like