Game freezing/crashing literally every 1-2 minutes. I can't play

What ARE your specs?

Intel 13/14th gen CPU stability issues related to bios settings
(known and confirmed by Intel + board manufacturers)

Nvidia latest driver causes massive issues > roll back to January versions

Nobody here can point you in the right direction without more specific information.

I didn’t know that about the NvIdia drivers, I’ll try that out!

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X

Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080ti

32 GB DDR4

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/543186/geforce-grd-55585-feedback-thread-released-52124/

This is the link to the nvidia forums where there are lots of complaints of the recent 555.85 driver. The version right before this also has similar issues. The complaints are across a lot of different games, not just D4.

Go here for the recent list of old nvidia drivers:
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us#

Thank you very much kind human.

Hopefully that means your game is functional again?

I did forget to mention that using DDU in safe mode is recommended when doing a gpu driver rollback but if you’re working then you’re likely fine.

Won’t know until it crashes… or never crashes again haha.

Try to force windows swap file to 16+ gb fixed size.

Changing drivers mostly for sure wont help. But forcing swap to 16 gb did help me. Today i played without freezing. First day from season start.

Dunno what they did with 1.4, but this was only solution that helped me. Hope it will help you too.

I’m in the same boat. Top machine (4090, 7950X3D, 32 GB RAM), and the game must have crashed 12 times in the last 3 days. I tried disabling Ray Tracing, Vertical sync, and a few other things… still crashes. The first 3 seasons were buttery smooth. NEXT: I will try DISSENT’s suggestion to “force windows swap file to 16+ GB” (will have to Google how to do this) and report back.

You can follow my instructions on this here:

-Diablo IV has run out of memory - #103 by DTMAce-1687

Instructions on dealing with nVidia driver changes:

-Game crashing after Nvidia Update - #2 by DTMAce-1687

Keep in mind, the specific driver version I mentioned is only for the 4080 Super (as it was released on Jan 31st)… But you can use a driver from just before or just after.

1 Like

Thank you DTMAce!!! for the first time in a few days I was able to run 3 dungeons in a row without any CTD. Ooof… Now, seriously, Blizzard have got to address this asap, because that is gonna piss off many players. BTW, I stayed at NVidia’s latest (555.xx) and have not rolled back… the cache fix seems to have done the trick.

1 Like

hi, I was having same the issue. I added diablo 4 to the Nvidia control panel under Manage 3D settings. then choose program settings then click Add, go to the location of your diablo iv.exe this has fixed the issue for me so far. been 3 days no crash yet. hope this might help… :wink:

This does sometimes work yes.

And sometimes it actually causes issues too. Being its hit and miss, its not normally my go to solution for every situation, but certainly can be tried and it might help. Glad it solved your issue!

hi, I tried removing the drivers with DDU and going all the way back to January 31st release of drivers for Nvidia. but again, this is the only thing that worked for me. rolling back to older drivers does not always work as well.

Bro DTMAce,

The running out of memory, thought no idea that I would have any issues, I have 64GB of ram, 7950x3d, 3080ti, 990ssd. I was fine through Season 3 and this last patch for season 4 I was crashing all the time, like could not run D4 so many issues. I looked at my Virtual memory that windows 11 had it set to 9350mb. I changed the paging file and I am able to play diablo 4 on ultra settings and running another apps and stream multiple things again. As of right now for the last 20 mins things are running smooth no crashes. I will give update to this thread later tonight after playing for hours and make sure no more crashes. Your a life saver was about to chuck the computer out the window.

Nevermind still crashing, damn

Monitor the vram while you are playing. Open task manager, the performance section, memory, and keep an eye on “Committed” memory. This is where virtual memory can be seen.

If that fills up, it will crash. Webrowsers make this worse depending on what/how many pages you have open.

Where can I find this?

You can navigate in Windows Explorer to C:\Users\ (your user name here) \AppData\Local\NVIDIA\

In here should be a couple of them, you are looking for GLCache and DXCache

You can open and then delete the contents of these folders, but leave the folders themselves.

1 Like

Went to it and found the following folders:

• GLCache
  • NvBackend

I did not find a DXCache folder.

Upon opening GLCache, two folders are in there. Are you recommending I delete these two folders inside the GLCache?

And, unsure why I am missing a DXCache folder. Is that bad? lol

Yes, you can remove the folders under that location.

NO idea. I don’t have one either in that location. You can also go to the driver panel for nvidia and change the cache setting to “Disabled”. Okay that and save and exit, re-open then reset it to the default setting save and exit again. That should force it to clear the cache files.