Offline character is gone

Was playing an offline character in the midst of all of the server nonsense thinking it’d be safe. Saved and quit the game multiple times at different levels over the course of maybe 30-60 minutes. Went back and my char is no longer there. How is an offline character not stored on MY harddrive?

12 Likes

I have the same issue.
Anticipating day 1 issues I decided to start with an offline char. Made it to level 10 with a necro, and closed the game to go do some other things. When I start it again my offline list is wiped. I can see the lvl 1 Paladin I made for my online list just fine, but my supposed local save, poof!

Even searched my computer for the character name. Again, my online char is found, but no offline.

Okay so not alone I got to level 15 Necro, save and exit, went for food, came back… GONE!

Edit: Made a new druid, it at least saved my shared stash loot and gold.

This is insane that Blizzard was so incompetent on server release at launch. This is so bad.

Nope, it’s like the game never created the character files at all.

Offline chars are local, the only online part there should be the account verification. As far as I can tell that part works.

Offline chars should not disappear, ever.

3 Likes

Same here. Had a level 6 Sorc that completely vanished.

If you can share any information on the platform you are playing on, what happened before the characters disappeared, that would be greatly appreciated!

1 Like

PC. Not much to tell, played for 2.5 hours, hit Save & Exit, character showed on the selection screen, I exit the game, came back an hour later, and the selection screen was empty. Anything I placed in the shared stash did save, just not the character.

Um… Game was running just fine (offline) and after playing for a while i feelt it was time to do a save & exit and reboot the game, incase of crash or something. After starting the game and character/s on ‘Offline’ / singleplayer characters are all gone, apparently they didin’t save after restarting the game. Even searching pc for files with the name of the character, ya come up with nothing. Dunno what else to say except that… PC… Win10Home… amd ryzen 5, 32gb ram, gtx1660super… all drivers up to date… I’ve seen a comment somewhere on the forum that the game doesn’t have administrator privilliges, so maybe thats why the offline characters gets wiped/unable to save? i’ve no idea. The game runs totally fine at max settings. No issues what so ever, except ofcourse, whenever ya save & exit / restart the game by clicking loggout/ exit game in the menu, and restarting it from the battlenet launcher, your character is gone. (I’ve since made a coupple random characters to test, but they didin’t vanish, and i don’t want to play another few hours to find out if it will get deleted or not). At least the old game gave you the error ‘bad dead bodies’ when a save file got corrupted, but here there’s no information at all, your character and its files all just Poof, not a trace of them ever existing.

PC, as described above, I was playing intermittently and had saved the game multiple times over the course of the hour. No crashes, no issues what-so-ever.

I see my newly created files correctly in the save folder, so I guess I am going to copy them all as a back up since I probably won’t be able to play again until tonight/tomorrow.

Playing on PC in singleplayer offline on Resurrected graphics. All maxed out graphics 2560x1440, ryzen 7 3700x, nvidia rtx 2070s, no v-sync, capped at 60.

Before the last server restart with the emergency maintenance between 1-1.45 all was ok. I played, saved, quit the game. Came back about 10 minutes ago, offline character is gone but the lvl 1 online char I never got to play because online was not working is there. Unless I misunderstood I thought that these offline characters were supposed to be saved locally or somehow not affected by the online part. So where are our characters?

PC . quit and save on my 11 sorc. ( offline char ) Left the house for an hour. Came back and my char is level 1 ( same name ) and stripped of all gear).

Same here … created a Necromancer for Offline play. Played till level 3 completed the Den quest, logged out and back in. All progress is lost. Char is back to the initial creation. Stash also gone. It’s like the file did not save anything after initial creation

I also lost my level 6 or 7 offline Druid. Saved and Quit the normal way then closed the game. Came back 4 or 5 hours later after work and poof–gone.
When I check the offline save folder I can still see the character data there AND the stuff I put in the shared stash is there as well. The game isn’t recognizing the save. If it’s corrupted, I have no idea how it got that way…

It would be greatly appreciated if you are your team would fix this game and make it playable, but that will be very unlikely

We’d like to look into this further! To dig into this more we wanted to ask if you can help us look into a player log. To do so, please follow the instructions below:

• Open D2R Launcher

• Click the gear > Show in Explorer> Click through your D2R Folder

• Copy and paste Blz-log txt file into a https://pastebin.com/ link for us to review

1 Like

Is this correct?

https://pastebin.com/LgVg3Ryb

There, I think i managed to do it (Had to open the file as txt and mark all text then copy paste, i thought i had to copy paste the actual file. 9/24 02:02:48.731 [Render/4] [<>:0]: NVSDK_NGX_D3D12_Init failed, error code: - - Pastebin.com

Please let us know if our progress is lost or can be possibly recovered.

1 Like