How can you not do OFFLINE characters right?

Seriously, I don’t understand how this kind of stuff happens.

I started an Amazon 3 days ago, got her to level 6 and did the save and quit.

Logged on yesterday, put FIVE HOURS into my character, got her to Lv14 with a few actually decent pieces of equipment, gems, etc that I put in my personal stash, and a Tal rune I put in my shared stash.

EDIT: Okay so it wasn’t 3 days ago. Memory is fuzzy from lots of IRL work and extra shifts.

Logged on today to see my Amazon is Lv6, exactly as I left off 3 days ago. The only evidence I did anything yesterday is that Tal rune sitting in shared stash.

HOW THE FRICK do you not save ANY data at all in five hours!?!?

I used the SAVE & QUIT button from the escape menu to close the game, no errors, nothing everything looked like it worked.

But somehow, the game didn’t save one iota of data about everything I did?

Apparently, this game is nowhere near ready.

2 Likes

This is what they call in the biz… a Feature :wink:

Blizzard has no idea of the meaning of the word “offline”. To them the word means a persistent secure session connected to Battle.net for the entire duration. For the rest of the world the word means “no internet connection required”.

4 Likes

Sorry, I erroneously stated I played 3 days ago. I blame sleep deprivation and work issues. What actually happened, is I played before and after supper.

Got the 'zon to Lv6, logged off, ate supper, played Dark Souls for an hour or two and then booted D2 up again and played some more.

The thing is, the offline character creation states that no connection is required!

The only way that’s possible is if the character data is saved locally.

Wow. You are one of the slowest players i know. I mean, im not the fastet, really. But i beat normal difficult in round about 10 hours with all quests o_0

I like to wander the maps and kill everything in my path and go through the optional areas for XP and to get stuff to drop, sometimes resetting and going through some areas again, etc.

/shrug I don’t know if it was actually 5 hours, but I know it was at least 3-4.

1 Like

Yep … doesn’t seem like that’s completely true.

1 Like

Now, granted, I had a connection, it wasn’t like I unplugged my LAN or something while playing.

I read in another thread that they did intentional character rollbacks, but I didn’t see any kind of blizz posts stating there would be rollbacks and it boggles my mind that if that is true, why they’d also rollback offline saves too.

It has to be that there is some connection.

Perhaps, for example, a copy of the local save is backed up online? And somehow due to the way that the restart/fix was rolled out, when someone reconnects, the “older” saved version online overwrites the local? I know that doesn’t sound like it makes sense, but really there has to be some connection to the online element that messed with your local save.

That would have affected everyone, though. I played solely SP offline from the start yesterday morning. I imported a couple of old characters from my previous D2 save game, played around with them and the shared stash, started a new character, all the while saving and closing the game several times throughout the day. Not a single hiccup.

I now have my new character to level 58 or so, now in Nightmare, no issues with the game not saving progress. So, there is something wonky going on with either the game code, or possibly a weird interaction with Windows and its file system. Big question is why is it only affecting certain players, and not everyone.

If what I said was true, it will only happen if your computer fails to send the data to BNET for whatever reason, such as, lots of server traffic or some-crap.

Well, some people on this thread noted that they had created both an online and offline character with the same name. That could be a possible reason why they lost their offline character when the servers went down. Don’t know if that is the only reason. Like I said, I only created offline characters, never even attempted going onto Battle.net.

Hmmm.

Come to think of it, I did do that too, because I accidentally had the Online tab selected the first time.

I’ll delete that online character and maybe even remake the Amazon, she’s only Lv6.