Why the level 58 boost is bad for the game overall

First of all, buying WoW gold off a website is against ToS. Anyone who does this should be banned. It is bad for the health of the game.
Secondly, do you guys not remember the survey Blizzard put out ? There were 5 options:

1. Continue playing my current Classic character on my existing server as it progresses to the Burning Crusade expansion, with the option to transfer to a Classic server that will never progress past level 60.
  2. Start a brand new character from level 58 on a new Burning Crusade server.
  3. Start a brand new character from level 1 on a new Burning Crusade server.
  4. Continue playing my current Classic character on my existing server that will never progress past level 60, with the option to transfer to a Burning Crusade server.
  5. None of the above.

So basically they added a ‘catch’ to and also found a way to monetize to the two most popular options from the survey. We could have had fresh BC servers with everyone starting at 58. So far Blizzard have officially announced that instead we have a ‘one time only’ paid level 58 boost. They stated their reason for including the 58 boost was to ‘help new players catch up to their friends on Classic’.

While the boost has a good intention and may be ‘good’ for some players, this is not overall a good thing. It is surely a cash grab from Blizzard either way. You could have the boost for free. You could have it on a separate fresh 58 server. You could have had unlimited ‘boosts’.

Pro-boost arguments:

“They don’t like classic. They want to play TBC. That’s the reason for the boost. That’s why the boost is gonna happen, no matter how much you deny it as a reason. It is THE reason.”
Blizzard themselves said the reason ‘is for people who didn’t play Classic to catch up to their friends who did’ so you’re just making this up. They even said it on the Deep Dive TBC video as well.

“What paid service gives instant gratification in retail??”
The WoW token, the instant level 50 boost. They directly affect the gameplay and economy. Cosmetic mounts aren’t really a big deal anymore mainly because buying a mount/training is so cheap on retail now. As far as I know you can’t buy a store mount which lets you skip spending gold on the riding training.

“No aspect of this game that blizzard sells is pay to win.”
The WoW token… you can buy high iLVL gear at least Heroic or Mythic raid level gear with gold that you bought with real money. Putting the WoW token guarantees the money goes to Blizzard, that is it. Its still pay2win. I won’t be surprised if they add the WoW token into TBC ‘to fix the issue of boosted toons not having enough gold’.

“people just buy gold anyway”
Not everyone buys gold, in fact most people do not. It is against the game rules.

“it won’t affect you or the game”
It is an MMORPG, it will have a ripple effect through the game like most things do. How can people say this ? Have they not seen how it changed the culture around Retail WoW ? We have a clear track record of many different changes affecting the game over many years.

“you won’t be able to tell who is boosted after a week”
Yes you will be able to, most of these people will be stumped that they can’t do half the things they normally do in Retail. The blue gear will be a dead giveaway too and I doubt they’ll upgrade every piece after a week. Same with the 60% mount unless they buy gold off a website or borrow it off a friend.

“It’s there to get people to play tbc who didn’t play classic.”
Yes but they could have offered free fresh 58 servers instead of the cash grab ‘one time only’ paid boost.

“Boosting isn’t pay to win.”
You’re paying to get ahead in the game, if two identical people went to play, but one couldn’t afford the boost, the other person would be much further ahead of them.

“A passive % XP increase would be more beneficial to botters than a boost, which they won’t be buying anyway.”
Botters will 100% be buying boosts. If they get banned they instantly get back into the gold making part of the game rather than having to level up from level 1 again. It will also encourage more people to ‘cheat’ since if they get banned they can just pay to start at 58 again.

“Buying gold from a bot, creates a demand. That demand creates more bots, thus making the bot problem, more of a problem than it already is. Buying a boost from blizzard makes demand go down, thus reducing the amount of botting.”
Right now when a bot gets banned they have to start from scratch and level from 1 again. But with this boost they will buy a 58 again straight away. There will be more bots, not less. Due to the fresh 58 players wanting to acquire gold immediately (just like they did the 58 levels) they will be encouraged to buy gold off a bot anyway.

“I just did the math on my time played. 94% of my played timed is at max level. Clearly 58 is PTW. Checkmate atheists”
If most of your played time is at max level then surely you had more than enough time to level up, so when people say ‘I don’t have time to level up’ then why would they have over 9x more time to play at max level ? If it only skips such a small part of the game then why not just play it ?

“great point, most of the people against boosting are probably neckbeards living in their parents basement who have all the free time in the world. and thats the only reason they are ever “ahead” of anyone. most likely unskilled players. its why most anti boosters arent even 60 yet.”
So people who play the game longer shouldn’t be ahead of people who refuse to play without a paid boost ? Its a game, that is how most games work homie. The more you play the more you progress.

“Its the leveling part that is horrible. I can only speak for myself, but I bet a lot of others feel this way as well. I want to play the actual content, not have to grind out 70 levels of tedious garbage that I have done a million times.”
Well you’ll still have to ‘grind out’ from 58 to 70 anyway even if you buy the boost. You doing it a million times has nothing to do with anyone else. And the actual content at 70 involves a lot of grinding and ‘tedious garbage’ as you would call it.

“You wont even be able to identify the boosters like for real, the anti booster arguments are so weak.”
The blue armor and the 60% mount will be a dead give away.

“Typically the people against boosts on here are those who seriously have zero valid arguments for how someone being a level 58 in trash gear and no gold is going to magically ‘ruin’ their game play experience .Prob on a PVE server and sell gdkps and keep 6 toons logged off with buffs 90% of their character lives . I’m sorry but you have ruined your own experience and can’t see it :slight_smile:Best bonus of boosts: Farming alliance 58s in HFP . Ahh my Rogue is hungry.”
Nice assumptions there, maybe this post will change your mind about ‘zero valid arguments’.

“I honestly believe that the people against boosting now are from 1 of 2 groups of people… The first being those that are already posed to take over the TBC economy now and ruin the game… and the second being those that are blindly following the first groups red-herrings so that no one pays attention to them and they can have an easier chance to ruin the game.”
The botters and boosters will affect the TBC economy much more than the people who are carrying over from Classic. A solution to this would be fresh 58 servers. Back in the day no one complained about Classic players taking too much gold into BC.

“litreally no different to me boosting my alts from a mage that i have to pay gold to”
Blood elves and Draenei will be forced to do this anyway since everyone else that is ‘new’ will be instantly 58, and yes it is different because you don’t have to do that ! You can actually level up by playing the game ! If you choose to mage boost then don’t complain about it.

“You should adapt to the game, the game shouldn’t adapt to you.”
Them adding paid boosts is the game adapting to the player, not the player adapting to the game.

All of the above quotes were said by people on this forum, so no doubt they will be the same people attacking me in the comments.

I shouldn’t have to say this again but I will. BUYING WOW GOLD WITH REAL MONEY IS AGAINST THE GAMES RULES.

(Before any attacks me for ‘being new’, I have played this game since 2007 right after BC came out. I have played every expansion however I did take a break during the middle patch of MoP, WoD and BFA. I have lead Mythic raids and acquired most AoTCs. I have dabbled in Arena and PVP but it is not really my thing. I do not consider myself a ‘pro’ however I would be lying if I said I was a ‘noob’. None of this should take or add anything to my argument I am just stating my experience of the game.)

I played Classic when it first came out and got to 60 on my first character. It was great to play Classic from 1 to 60 as I did not get a chance to play Vanilla WoW originally. I had so much fun because the game felt like it did back when I first levelled up in 2007, even though it was the BC patch version of Azeroth, it is still pretty close. I quit playing Shadowlands shortly after completing the first raid tier and have been enjoying my time playing Classic again. I levelled up my warrior from 1 to 60 through questing and doing a few dungeons around level 50. It was a no-brainer that Blizzard would surely announce TBC Classic after seeing the huge success that was Classic. Over half of the people who played Shadowlands on launch quit, I guess you could say the same about Classic too however this happened over several phases (1 year +) in Classic rather than one patch (3-4 months) like Retail.

I say all this because I have seen the game transform over several years both on the Retail and Classic version. From my experience of playing the game I have seen how the changes affect the gameplay when Blizzard decide to change things. I am not here to argue which one is ‘better’ because its completely subjective. However you cannot deny that changes in the game do affect things, it is an MMO after all. Now here is what I personally predict will happen, based on the track record of Blizzard/(Activision now I guess lol).

There are only so many types of people who will buy the boost.

1. People who did not play Classic. (Retail players or newcomers to the game)
  2. People who gave up before reaching level 60 on Classic.
  3. People who already have a level 60 on Classic but will pay for another instant level 58 alt.
  4. Botters when they get banned and want a new high level bot character instantly again.
  5. Multiboxers who want another character to multibox with.

You could argue that the boost is ‘good for everyone individually’ but overall it is bad for the health of the game. You may benefit personally BUT at the expense of the gameplay and overall quality of the actual game. It will affect the economy AND the combat in the world, especially on PVP servers.

So lets say Person 1 and 2 boost a 58 as their main character. They don’t have any characters on Classic already, they have barely any gold. They will get thrown into BC launch with a 60% ground mount, full set of blue dungeon gear (probably will be LBRS/UBRS quality), and level 0 professions. Most won’t even bother getting to 60 during pre-patch because ‘its irrelevant content’ supposedly. Sure they will get a bit of gold from questing/levelling up, even more if they save all quests to do at level 70 instead. But how will they make gold at 70 ? They will resort to buying gold with real money off websites in order to : level up their crafting professions, buy the fast ground mount/training (800-900g) and then buy the flying mount/training (1k). This will only increase the demand for gold buying, it does not reduce it.

Right now these people have 2 options:
Option 1. Make a fresh toon now, level to 60 before BC comes out (Draenei and Blood Elves will have to do this anyway), be ready for launch day.
Option 2. Pay real money, only play 1 character, start at 58 with blue gear, 60% mount, no professions. (if the BC collector edition mount really is for BC then they will be inclined to buy the 100% mount too to save 800-900g).

Would you rather play the game for 2-4 weeks and have more stuff, or would you rather pay two sums of real money to have less ? By the way when you get to max level you will need more gold ! Will you go farming and get your professions from 1-375 or will you just buy gold with real money off a website ?
Which one seems more likely ? I have already heard a few players say that they are going to do this “because apparently everyone in Classic buys gold off websites so that makes it okay” So most of these people will buy the 58 boost, then the 100% mount if they offer it, then also buy gold off a website anyway because ‘its too hard to make gold’.

If Person 3 buys the boost then they will be able to make even more gold as the alt will likely be a transmute alch/tailor or gatherer alt. It will allow the rich people to become even richer, making it harder for fresh 58s to make gold, thus forcing the boosters to buy gold off websites again.

Due to Person 4 there will always be botters as long as the 58 paid boost is offered. The calculations have been done and even if they get banned the amount of money they make off the boosted toon will make up for it, and they will be able to hop back into the game straight away.

Person 5. will just be 1/x amount of characters stronger due to the instant boost. Blizzard say they have cracked down on botters and multiboxers but this is a lie. If you log on Classic right now /who Blackrock Depths look how many rogue pickpocket stealth botters are in there. Multiboxers are still seen in the world too. I saw a 10 stacker the other day, 5 shamans and 5 hunters, ridiculous.

The paid boost makes it much easier for botters and multiboxers to get straight back into what they were doing and gives them an advantage over people who do not buy the boost.

It is not only the gold that will be an issue for persons 1. and 2. They will complain they can’t make enough gold, they will complain that it’s “unfair” that Classic players got to use their saved up gold. They will complain that attunements and rep requirements are taking too long because “they don’t have as much time to play”. They will complain about getting ganked on a PVP server. They will complain about how they were ‘forced to buy gold’ off a website. They will complain that WoW Tokens aren’t in the game. Then they will finally quit after a month or two because ‘the game sucks and retail is better’ and ‘its all the Classic players fault for gatekeeping’.

Now, if you are pro-boost that is fine but the behaviour of some of the pro-boosters has been absolutely disgusting. There are about 10-15 people who are on these forums EVERYDAY and have been trying to gatekeep the discussion boosts by flagging anything they don’t like as ‘trolling’ and flagging other people for ‘inappropriate’ when things get slightly heated after being provoked.
So for both sides now, lets drop the insults, lets drop the childish behaviour, lets drop the name calling. Doesn’t matter ‘who started it’ or ‘who said what first’. Lets just have a discussion otherwise we will never get anywhere.
The anti-boosters aren’t against you guys playing BC, we are against the way Blizzard/Activision has chosen to handle the situation. I believe the best solution would be for Blizzard to honour what they put out in the original survey.
Free fresh level 58 BC servers. They could even keep them separate from the people/servers who carry over from the Classic servers, as well as add the ‘new Classic Era severs’. Wouldn’t it be better than having to PAY for only one ?

I won’t be surprised if this post gets flagged for ‘trolling’. Don’t give them any ammunition, no swearing and no insults. Just state your opinion and if they disagree with it then oh well.
Either way we should NOT be silenced for voicing our opinion no matter how many of the forum trolls disagree with it. Look at how the same forum trolls attacked this man for expressing his feelings and opinion. He has played the game more than them so they feel inclined to personally attack him.

For all the people saying ‘the anti-boosters are a loud minority, most people are pro-boost’ the forums do not indicate this at all. It seems every pro-boost post never gets more than 100 likes, meanwhile there are several anti-boost posts that have hundreds of likes.
Not that ‘likes’ mean anything but it seems that the pro-boosters are actually the ‘loud minority’ and it seems you lot are on these forums EVERYDAY. You could be preparing for TBC right now but instead you come here to argue to justify spending real money on a level boost.

Blizzard waited until they announced TBC Classic to also announce that they were adding a ‘one time only’ paid level 58 boost. That is a pretty scummy move, especially when it was not even mentioned in the survey they sent out.
They are also charging the people for a copy to a Classic Era server, when no price was mentioned in the survey either. So basically they sent out the survey, and monetized the two most popular options, scrapped the others, and refuse to put in a fresh 58 server because profits.
Even now recently they sent out another survey where they are literally asking you how much you are willing to pay for the 58 boost, they sent out different prices to different people LOL. ($10 to $40)

They are trying to gauge the max amount they can charge and get away with it.
This is another scummy move ! I don’t care if you think the boost is good for you, do not defend this cash grab by Blizzard/Activision ! They could offer fresh 58 servers. They are trying to get away with charging you an extra $30 bucks simply because corporate greed.
If you think the money from boosts will go into ‘fixing and maintaining the game’ then you are sorely mistaken. It will go straight into the CEO’s pockets. Remember they fired hundreds of people after reporting supposedly what was their most profitable year ?

Just look at how they handled the Drums situation. They explicitly said they would improve it the same day they announced TBC. Then we find out they just make it worse. This is one shining example of how out of touch they can be with the community.

TBC launch will be far from an ‘authentic experience’. The double standard here is amazing. It contradicts the entire premise of the boost in the first place.

We could have had fresh 58 servers ! We still can ! No need to defend this decision by Blizzard.

inb4 “TLDR” and other childish comments

28 Likes

Awesome summary of the situation.

All we can do is hope Blizzard can see sense and change their mind on this.

14 Likes

Botters and gold sellers will be extremely unlikely to pay Blizzard for a boosted character. The boost will be expensive. One of the reasons botting is current cost effective is that they can get cheap easy accounts outside the US, for next to nothing by using the 30 day account cards. They can also easily boost their own accounts at essentially no cost while farming gold to ensure they have accounts ready incase they lose one through the bot bans.

If they purchase a level 58 boost, this would have a significantly negative impact on them since when this account gets banned instead of losing say an account worth a single month, it would be losing an account potentially worth over $60. However the impact goes much further then that, since the Blizzard boost would only be sold thru the Blizzard store, it would require their account to have an actual credit card associated to it. Once they do this, it links together any future account that they would have related to that CC, or the CC address, making it extremely easy for blizzard to link related accounts.

Say for example an gold seller has 5 bot accounts setup, which they had purchased a boost on each. If one account gets nailed, it easily allows blizzard to link all their other accounts, and ban them all, costing them a them probably more than 300. If instead they had just boosted all their accounts manually, while farming gold, they would probably lose just the one at a cost just a single months of an account, with they would replace and just toss in a group with one of their remaining four accounts, which would have little if any impact on their revenue stream.

7 Likes

At this point in the pro-boost/anti-boost standoff, ain’t nobody takin’ the time to read what is, possibly, the longest post I’ve ever seen on the forums.

12 Likes

It is nice to add a TL:DR summary to such posts. It is a well thought out thread, but think of a TL:DR as your conclusion. This is in no way a complaint. Again, great thread and you cover your position well. But you know these forums and it is going to happen.

For the sake of making sure the thread stays on topic, you may want to circle back and just add a TL:DR and head the negative posts off at the (Deadwind) pass.

2 Likes

Too late.

As much as I don’t like the boost you are straw manning yourself with this argument. Unless you’re playing warrior tank this won’t matter.

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t feel like reading a novel. tl;dr it, OP.

3 Likes

I’m not gonna read a novel just to respond to something that could have been summed up in 10 lines or less. But I did skim through it…

There is literally ZERO reason to be so against boosts. Everyone’s argument against is purely speculation and being a doomsayer.

5 Likes

Counterargument with a wall of text.

It’s not.

4 Likes

Thank you for outlining each and every argument why boosts are a terrible idea for TBC Classic and why it will be horrible for the integrity of the game.

I agree, if Boosts HAVE TO HAPPEN, I do not understand why they cannot just offer “Boost Only Servers”, so the integrity of current Classic servers migrating into TBC won’t be affected further. Blizzard can easily do this, and this solution can please both the anti and pro-boost crowds, but they just simply do not care.

4 Likes

And this point does not help the OPs argument. For the point of the game where this blue gear will be around, the first few levels, the gear will be more than ok for questing. Players adapt, if they see that their gear does not allow them to do something, they go do something else they can handle.

What I remember of TBC, by the time I was out of Helfire, most of the gear I came into TBC with was gone. Between Dungeon drops and quest gear, I was another multi-colored clown again, but it was a servicable set of gear. This was because on a few of my characters I played in TBC, they had not been one of my Vanilla raiding characters and had quest blues or greens. But they did just fine in Hellfire. So this also supports the idea that the blues will service a boosted character just fine. And will be replaced as Helfire was designed to be the zone where you:
a.) get used to the TBC playstyle
b.) got you prepared for the rest of the zones with gear drops

So segregation because you are so against boosts? Man, you’d fit right in, in the 1940s…

4 Likes

You have way too much time on your hands to post this. This is time that could have and should have been spent going to your Account and clicking “Unsubscribe”, and then going to your Bnet launcher and clicking “Uninstall” on the WoW client.

2 Likes

But he has so much integrity for the way he leveled his character…

1 Like

No, you people seem to think you get a special server because you disagree with a minor feature of the expansion. I’ve said before the entitlement of the classic zealots is stunning.

5 Likes

It is a valid point, I am sure Blizzard reviewed all these opinions and you can see why, for several reasons, they might consider it a bad idea. For one, why intentionally split up your playerbase like this and potentially create inbalanced server populations that will result in players being on servers that have low pops or in a few months require server merges?

Also, it has implcations from a perception perspective. There are people that will see this just as you have and it could be a publicity nightmare. I can see the headlines now “Blizzard accused of intentional segregation!”. It is not a place any for-profit campany wants to be in.

1 Like

You’re correct about blizzard.

It also makes the classic player base look bad, not saying it’s all of them. It’s just cringe to see people actually bring this kind of idea up… acting like boosters got some kind of contagious disease. No, they’re just like every other player in the classic landscape, they just wanna play the game…

I know right, it means he cares about everyone lol

There are already different types of servers

Yea but no one is locked out from those… just because someone boosts why shouldn’t they be allowed on any TBC server? Only way boost only server could work… is if boosts were free.

1 Like