Thwarting the Twins: Raest Magespear

This post has been modified to show numbers that are relevant for shadow priests. It is known that the numbers are different for different classes.

Was it an oversight that Raest Magespear has so many hit points? I looked up the number of hit points he had from Legion and compared it with the number of hit points he has in Shadowlands. This is what I found:

• In Legion, Karam Magespear had 66.565 million hit points while Raest had 64.063 million hit points. This means that Raest had about 0.96 times the number of hit points of Karam. Hand from Beyond had 7.095 million hit points which is about 0.11 times the number of hit points of Karam.
  • In Shadowlands, Karam Magespear has 49,900 hit points while Raest has 161,100 hit points. This means that Raest has about 3.23 times the number of hit points of Karam. Hand from Beyond has 6,075 hit points which is about 0.12 times the number of hit points of Karam.

The scaling of hit points for Hand from Beyond in comparison to Karam is the same for both Legion and Shadowlands. However, the scaling of hit points for Raest in comparison to Karam is significantly higher in Shadowlands.

Watching old videos of the encounter that are about a month or two into the release of 7.2, shadow priests are averaging about 500 thousand DPS single target on Karam. Watching videos for the current release (and personal experience), shadow priests are averaging about 600 DPS single target on Karam. If you assume the best case scenario of being able to stand still or cast while moving you get the following:

• In Legion, it would be possible to down Karam Magespear within 133 seconds, Raest Magespear within 128 seconds, and Hand from beyond within 14 seconds.
  • In Shadowlands, it would be possible to down Karam Magespear within 83 seconds, Raest Magespear within 269 seconds, and Hand from beyond within 10 seconds.

It is important to note that shadow priests in legion had more mobility and CC options than what shadow priests have in Legion. High damage abilities such as Void Torrent were baseline in Legion whereas in Shadowlands you must spec for Void Torrent. This is very likely to increase the amount of time to kill these NPCs in Shadowlands when the other encounter mechanics are taken into account. There are differences in the time it takes to down these NPCs when comparing Legion to Shadowlands, but the interesting thing to look at is how the times relate to each other within each expansion. In Legion, the difference in the amount of time needed to kill Raest in comparison to Karam is a mere 5 seconds. In Shadowlands, the difference in the amount of time needed to kill Raest in comparison to Karam is 186 seconds. If you watch videos of this encounter from the 7.2 release you can usually see that when players try to burst down Raest using drums, potions, and other cooldowns, he drops pretty fast. By the time players get to the last phase, Raest is at 20% health or lower. That is not so much the case in Shadowlands. By the time players get to the last phase, Raest is usually between 40-50%.

The most common reasonable strategy is to kill Karam and then very slowly take down Raest. This would seem fine if it was not for the fact that the mechanics in this fight are that killing Karam causes Raest to go berserk. His movement speed is increased by 150% and damage by 500%. This was likely done to push players to not kill Karam and thus have to continue dealing with his increasing movement speed, his instant death attack, and Hands from Beyond while taking down Raest. This was in fact how it was done in Legion. There is also the fact that killing Raest and leaving Karam alive awards completion of the scenario. This strategy is no longer reasonable due to Raest’s high number of hit points.

The challenge is possible to complete either killing Raest only or killing Karam first then Raest. The point is that the intended strategy of killing only Raest is now significantly more difficult than it was when released in Legion.

42 Likes

Thank you for putting these numbers out. I’m running into an issue on marks hunter where Raest has way too much health and I cannot kill quick enough.

8 Likes

You can kill Karam and rage Raest, only run it to soak circles and dot Raest while you are at it and run out of his range to heal back up

Spriest is hard to compare to legion, since what I remember as the common legion strat was to S2M cheese the fight and skip P4 and P5

6 Likes

The sad part is its better just to kill Karam and do it slowly now for several specs.

At least its a workaround for some but I agree its kind of stupid that its that way.

3 Likes

Kudos on posting the numbers, didn’t realize they were that close in legion. Also, it must be different by spec? Raest has 202k in the affliction one. Also while doable pretty bad balancing of the hp that the best way is to enrage the boss instead of rotting down both or kiting Karam long enough to kill Raest.

3 Likes

Knowing Blizzard they’d just make Karam’s health 130,000 hp and say “there, now it’s about the same” ENJOY :smiley:

11 Likes

Don’t forget to buff the hands too.

3 Likes

The spawn rate of the ‘hands’ on the aff lock challenge is a little outrageous.

The rest seems manageable, kyte and dot. But the hands spawn too frequently. Even with pots, food, runes, I have gotten to a point with two hands active at once. The single interrupt for an aff lock causes failures here.

Changes needed IMO:
*increase spawn rate of hands
*increase cast time or cooldown of “Grasp from Beyond”
*Boss HP fix

4 Likes

I’m not sure we can do that. The scaling was never a simple multiplier. Even the levels were a weird sort of scaling.

All of that aside, MT is a mess. You’ve got good feedback here!

4 Likes

I ran into an issue yesterday where Raest despawned during the encounter. Has anyone had this issue? I killed Karam and moved in and out doting up Raest then he ended up despawning 3 times. Did I take to long or something?

2 Likes

Tuning is completely broken on all mage tower encounters including this one. Boss health is inflated by over 50% than it should he.

10 Likes

This happened on my Mage at least 3 times and it was always around using ice block at some point in the last phase. The fight never respawns either. Wouldn’t expect anything more from Blizzard at this point.

I can only speculate. On one awful attempt I had a Thing of Nightmare spawn. I ran to the edge of the island to throw myself over and the Thing of Nightmare despawned before I could jump. It might be due to some sort of pathing issue. I completed The God-Queen’s Fury on my arcane mage and had a similar issue. You can accidentally blink out of the arena. When that happens the NPCs can’t path to you and despawn.

1 Like

I’m having this problem on my mage as well. I am dealing with all the mechs well and my dmg is good but in last phase it just isn’t enough to kill Raest with everything else going on.

1 Like

If I recall, the strat in Legion was to use Surrender to Madness to burst down Raest during his second vulnerable phase. Regardless, Blizzard royally screwed with this fight and is acting way too stubborn about it.

9 Likes

Did similar but I was running around that side with the cages and same the Thing despawned. Surprised me.

With today’s round of hotfixes that broke the slowburn strat (for those people without astronomical DPS), I’m thinking a look at Raest’s healthpool is in order. This just doesn’t make sense to make it 3x harder than it was in legion when it was current. A reduction in healthpool is absolutely necessary at this point (it will still be a challenge, but at least now Raest wouldn’t be near impossible to kill while still managing the rest of the mechanics of the fights).

16 Likes

I’m sure in a few more days they’ll make sure Karam’s buff stacks faster or the hands spawn more frequently or something equally as brilliant.

5 Likes

So Blizz just updated the fight making one of the 2 approaches imho unviable: killing Karam first, since Raest now chases you when out of range. It wouldnt be so if his damage and/or HP wasn’t that insane, which blizz says they nerfed to compensate (damage that is). Im trying the fight right now and as far as I know the nerf doesnt compensate, we only got one approach less to deal with the bosses.

I dont know anymore…

2 Likes