[N-RP] Helping Hands | Fri 4/9 5:30 PM ST | Suramar (Astravar Harbor)

Time 5:30 PM ST
Date Friday, April 9th
What Discussion and Voting
Topic Final Decisions on Reparations
Who Anyone Interested in Faction Peace
Where Astravar Harbor (South Bridge), Suramar

Looking for IC Speakers and Guards!

We stand at a crossroads.

Two years after the most recent tragedy to befall the children of the stars, pain still festers within the souls of all those who called the great tree Teldrassil home. Trust in those of the other faction may be scarce, but many of the Horde stood stalwart against their own kin in the regime of war that carved those wounds.

Now, those same brave groups and individuals have offered their aide, and those who suffered have answered. From hopeful whispers of restoring Desolace to unsettling rhetoric of military tribunals, many paths lay before them. It is time to choose.

Which ones do we walk?

Ishnu'alah!

Thanks for reading!

What, When, Where?

This is an assembly of peace-advocates which will begin with open-discussions and end with a vote.
Topics:

• Which of the following items should we we work towards accomplishing together?
    Which ones shouldn't we?
  • In what order should we address them?
  • What token of acceptance could be offered in return for the aid?

Items:

1. Destruction of existing Blight stores and preventative action against future production?
  2. Restoration of arid lands of mutual interest, such as Desolace or the Barrens, to supplement those lands lost?
  3. Production and distribution of medical aid to Horde, Neutral, and Alliance parties.
  4. Infiltration of and rescuing souls from the Maw.
  5. Chief conspirators for the War of Thorns tried for War Crimes before a military tribunal.

Speakers will have ten minutes each.

It will be held at 5:30 PM on Friday April 9th, 2021.

Location will on the bridge leading southwest from Astravar Harbor in Suramar.

Help Wanted

I’d love to have a few volunteer speakers signed-up and ready to go prior to the event! I’d also love a few guards! Please let me know via a forums post, in-game whisper, or in-game male if you’re interested!

A handful of guards would also be great! Just to help things run smoothly.

Volunteer Speakers

1. Serilda Starsong
  2. Sidhanei Ambersong
  3. Firithe Amberbough

Volunteer Guards

1. Tatanqa Two-Hawks
  2. Lyseara Ambervine
  3. Zedal'thul Paleknuckle

Expectations

Please be courteous to speakers. Reaction emotes are fine, but please post them at a reasonable frequency and keep their length to one paragraph or less.

Please respect that people are here to have fruitful discussion for a long-term plot regarding peace-building. Civil, IC disagreement is welcome and encouraged. After all, this is a debate! What are we here for if not to discuss differing view points? However, while I fully embrace that IC ≠ OOC, it is in poor taste to sour the spirit of an event with disruptive IC antagonism. For additional details, see the IC Conflict? section of the Details subheader below.

Details

Discussion Format

This will be an open-form, town-hall discussion. Each speaker will have ten minutes to share their opinion on their thoughts on whichever of the above topics about which they care to speak!

1. It will start with a short non-denominational prayer.
  2. Individuals who volunteered early to speak will be invited to the dais.
  3. After the last volunteer speaker, the dais will be opened to the audience.
  4. Voting will be held. First on which items to undertake, then on the order, then on a token of appreciation.
  5. There will be some closing remarks.

I expect the event to last up to three hours.

Target Audience

This discussion is aimed towards both Alliance, Horde, and neutral groups and individuals. Really, anyone who is interested in pursuing healing the wound between the residents of Teldrassil and the Horde, those who want to see progress made towards lasting peace.

Speech Preparation

If you’re going to be giving a speech, consider the following questions!

1. Which of the requested items does your character believe must be accomplished?
  2. Does your character have any concerns with that item or any other?
  3. Does your character believe any item is ridiculous, unhelpful, or should not be considered?
  4. Which items does your character think are most important and should be done before the others?
  5. What does your character think "peace" will look like? What will it be like for Kaldorei and Horde to interact with one another? How will things like land, territory, holidays, commerce, religion, education, etc. be different?

Of course, one does not have to answer all of these questions, or any of them! It’s just to help generate some thoughts on this specific discussion. Again, keep it to 10 minutes, so focus on what you want to say. There will be a chance to re-discuss before voting!

IC Background

As of late, Lyastei has grown somewhat engaged with the neutral-community. In her conversations with the Horde, she has met many who have offered to help the Kaldorei, as well as any other affected by the Burning of Teldrassil.

In the last event, the those affected by the Burning of Teldrassil gathered to deliberate on what they might want. They produced the above list of requests. This list was presented to a larger audience at the most recent Peace Summit. There was much agreement, but no firm resolution. This meeting will be to solidify what we want to do.

IC Conflict?

Due to the sensitive nature of this discussion, I acknowledge that IC conflict, up to and including attempted physical violence, is a reasonable response from some characters. My philosophy is to let the story be told. Thus, I will not explicitly ask players withhold their characters from reacting as that character might deem appropriate, even if the reaction is, on the whole, inappropriate (within reason).

Of course, I fully hope that there is some constructive, verbal disagreement during the discussions. That’s the point of them! However, I would be remiss if I allowed excessive conflict to derail the event. The event caters towards the specified target audience, and they aren’t here to see it turn into a brawl pit.

With that said, if you are bringing a character that you believe will have an exceptionally poor reaction to any discussions and need to be ICly removed, I do ask that you contact me OOCly prior to the event, so we can discuss. I’m not against it, because it makes sense, feels natural for the story world, and could make for interesting story! However, I would like to OOCly coordinate prior, for maintaining the flow and scheduling of the event.

Please understand that I am the DM of the event and maintain OOC control over any combat RP. I will empower any guards with the ability to power-game for the purpose of roleplaying the prompt, IC removal of belligerents from the discussions. That is to say, for this event, they can take action to remove belligerents without needing to “attempt” or roll. They will automatically succeed on removing belligerent characters. If the guards are ignored, I will instruct attendees to ignore belligerent characters. Again, this is for the sake of maintaining the purpose of the event, so please respect that.

Of course, OOC aggression or other belligerent OOC behavior will not be tolerated, and such players will be promptly ignored.

Token of Acceptance?

One question I’ve gotten is, “What do you mean by a token of acceptance? The Kaldorei have to repay the Horde for repaying them for the genocide?”

Not quite.

In short, the question is, “How do the Horde know they’re making progress?” A lot of people will be working hard towards seeing peace between the Kaldorei and the Horde. The last thing they’d want is to do a lot of work, then be told, “Thanks, but it’s not enough.” Effectively, they’d be staring at an ever-growing, never-ending laundry list of requests.

So, those providing the aid will want to know that some progress is being made. That the work they are doing is having a concrete effect. So, the Kaldorei must reciprocate with a small token that demonstrates in a material way, “Yes, relations are improving.”

The token shouldn’t be of or near the same magnitude as the aid. After all, the aid is for reparations. But, it needs to be something material, if small.

Previous Threads

For reference!

Helping Hands (1) - Name the Requests
Peace Summit

Shaha lor'ma! Thanks!

I hope you can make it! :smiley: Please let me know if you have any questions!

4 Likes

The Sunreavers will be there!

2 Likes

Looking forward to it!

Tentatively yes. ill be out of town, but if I have wifi where I am going, count me in. Love this.

Hope to have you there!

I am considering moving this to Friday the 9th due to various scheduling conflicts, but haven’t made that decision yet. Would the 9th be easier for you and/or your guild?

1 Like

Doesn’t change much for me. Ill stop by

1 Like

Update: After discussion with a few interested parties, decided to change the date to Friday, April 9th. Same time and location as of now! I am going to vet the location and make sure that there isn’t a tremendous amount of phasing.

Scrolls were posted on bulletin boards across Alliance and Horde settlements. Some would be delivered directly to interested parties.

OOC: Plain Text

To interested parties of the Alliance & Horde,

The Azeroth Peace Council generously facilitated a presentation and discussion regarding what aid those impacted by the Burning of Teldrassil might accept from Horde affiliates. Many charitable attendees were generally amicable towards our requests.

Prior to beginning, I propose a final conference to cement which requests will be addressed, the order in which to address them, and any potential token of acknowledgement from the recipients of the aid.

Zin’al Elune,
Lyastei Starbreeze
Priestess of Elune

Dictated: Lyastei Starbreeze
Penned: Kaladhir Ambertap

2 Likes

Looking forward to this!

1 Like

Small update!
There were some concerns about the location being phased, so I asked a few friends to help me check. We checked with:

1. Level 59 Alliance (had not completed Suramar/Nightborne quests) +
    Level 60 Alliance (had completed all the Suramar/Nightborne quests)
  2. Level 51 Horde (had not completed Suramar/Nightborne quests) +
    Level 60 Alliance (had completed all the Suramar/Nightborne quests)
  3. Level 31 Nightborne (had not completed Suramar/Nightborne quests) +
    Level 45 Alliance (had completed all the Suramar/Nightborne quests)
  4. Level 31 Nightborne (had not completed Suramar/Nightborne quests) +
    Level 51 Alliance (had not completed the Suramar/Nightborne quests)

All characters could see each other at the locations we intend to use for this event! Nightborne characters get phased if they get really close to the Nighthold, but we’ll be on the other side of the bridge.

So, I’m confirming the location as Southwest Bridge from Astravar Harbor in Suramar City.

In the event that there are still phasing problems, we will move to the Purple Parlor in Dalaran.

3 Likes

Hey guys! This will be this Friday, April 9th at 5:30 PM ST!

This is tonight! Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Planning on coming but expecting some severe weather where I am. If I don’t show thats likely the cause.

1 Like

I hope you can make it, but stay safe!

Absolutely incredible turn out. I’ve messaged GMs and individuals with my thanks, but I wanted to post again: the support is, was, and has been nothing short of amazing. I thank you all for tagging along to this project, and I’m incredibly excited to see where it goes from here!

I’ll be posting two tie-breaker votes tomorrow, then we’ll be posting final conclusions next week.

Until then, to all forty people who showed up…

Thank you!

1 Like

Follow Up Survey

Alrighty! I’ve created this Google Forms Survey:

This survey has the following components:

1. Absentee ballot for those who couldn’t make it.
  2. Event Feedback
  3. IC Character Demographics Survey
  4. OOC Player Interest Survey

All together, it takes about five minutes to complete, and I’d greatly appreciate any responses we might get, especially the absentee ballots!

EDIT: I’ll be posting final results and next steps sometime next week, so the absentee ballot will only be viable until then!

Event Follow Up

In-Character

The following missives would be posted throughout Alliance and Horde territories on appropriate, public bulletin boards.

[OOC]: Plain Text

To interested parties of the Alliance & Horde,

A faction-agnostic delegation gathered beneath the spires of the Nighthold to cement our plan towards building a new relationship between the Horde and the Kaldorei.

We agreed to destroy existing Blight stores, provision mutual medical supplies, restore arid lands, and rescue souls from the Maw. A majority was not reached on war tribunals. We will begin with the destruction of Blight reserves.

The recipients supported the mutual formation of a peace-defense coalition as a token of acceptance for the support.

Zin’al Elune,
Lyastei Starbreeze
Priestess of Elune

Dictated: Lyastei Starbreeze
Penned: Etoiriel Vianadreaux

Out-of-Character

Thanks again to everyone who attended and voted!

You can click on the image for a larger view!

The story will proceed with the arc to destroy Blight stores and prevent future manufacturing of Blight. Afterwards, the production of medical supplies is the next planned arc!

The selected “token of appreciation” was the formation of peace-defense coalitions! This is not formalized yet, but, as of now, is the more likely of the two options (the other being the formation of culture and knowledge-sharing structures).

Additionally, we have a Discord Server to help coordinate and schedule events. Anyone interested in participating - including antagonists! - are free to join!

I can’t wait for future events with the wonderful people that have supported the series so far!